RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I admit to asking this on another thread, but since it already came up....what do you guess would be the highest speed I could take a Sahara JL at on flat road, coming home long distance from the dealer, with me, and the soft top box being the only cargo, and not get above 3000 rpm's?
Sponsored

Toreador

First Name
Ely
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
I admit to asking this on another thread, but since it already came up....what do you guess would be the highest speed I could take a Sahara JL at on flat road, coming home long distance from the dealer, with me, and the soft top box being the only cargo, and not get above 3000 rpm's?
You can easily hit even 80 miles per hour. It's all about low acceleration and where the transmission gears are at.
Light and easy pedal.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I agree with the comment above. But remember, break in isn't all about the engine. It's about the entire power train including the diffs. I had a 350 mile trip home from the dealer and was able to follow the proper break in procedures. Map yourself a route on secondary roads as much as possible for the first 300 miles. Stop for gas/food more often than you normally would. Stop and sight see! Allow a few extra hours for that first 300 miles. Good luck!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
You can easily hit even 80 miles per hour. It's all about low acceleration and where the transmission gears are at.
Light and easy pedal.
Thanks Ely: this exactly what I thought and certainly my experience with other vehicles.

Whether it's the sensibility that comes with age, or simply the desire to get better MPG's on my vehicles, this is pretty much always the way I've driven: slow acceleration, coasting to red traffic lights, maximizing gear rations, etc..

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Thanks Ely: this exactly what I thought and certainly my experience with other vehicles.

Whether it's the sensibility that comes with age, or simply the desire to get better MPG's on my vehicles, this is pretty much always the way I've driven: slow acceleration, coasting to red traffic lights, maximizing gear rations, etc..
Some food for thought on MPGs with the new 8 speed trans. Slow, light acceleration isn't the best way to get MPGs on this new rig. As others have said on the MPG thread, I have found that a quick acceleration to get to your desired speed (and to get into the 8th gear) has resulted in better mpgs.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
db: I hear what you're saying, but where I may have missed your point is in the precise steps as a driver you would suggest I take.

Let me give you an example, you say "take in the sights," certainly I take no issue with that, but is the underlying purpose, at least related to the topic at hand, to significantly vary speed...to give the engine a rest, other things as well?

I'll rephrase my question: what steps as a driver am I taking and why as it relates to my taxing of various vehicle systems?

Answers like,

* your doing this to slowly break in the shocks
* your doing this to operate the engine at different speeds and holding no speed too long to seat the valves, etc.

...I'm just trying to understand the mechanical implications "under the hood" regarding the way you'd suggest drivers behave for the first X miles.

Thanks.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have found that a quick acceleration to get to your desired speed (and to get into the 8th gear) has resulted in better mpgs.
Get better MPG and piss off my neighbors....what a combo!;)

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
db: I hear what you're saying, but where I may have missed your point is in the precise steps as a driver you would suggest I take.

Let me give you an example, you say "take in the sights," certainly I take no issue with that, but is the underlying purpose, at least related to the topic at hand, to significantly vary speed...to give the engine a rest, other things as well?

I'll rephrase my question: what steps as a driver am I taking and why as it relates to my taxing of various vehicle systems?

Answers like,

* your doing this to slowly break in the shocks
* your doing this to operate the engine at different speeds and holding no speed too long to seat the valves, etc.

...I'm just trying to understand the mechanical implications "under the hood" regarding the way you'd suggest drivers behave for the first X miles.

Thanks.
You're doing this to allow components to heat up and then cool down. For instance, rear end gearing. The faster your speed, the faster the axle, spider gears, etc will turn. Keeping your speed at or below the recommended 55 mph helps to keep these components cooler in the initial 300 miles. Most of these items have been oiled but not really "used" yet. Giving them a chance to cool down is a good idea. I think the engine is probably the component that needs the least amount of break in as I think they are run before being installed. I'm by far no expert and I'm sure that 90% or more of all Jeeps sold are not broken in according to the manual.

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Xordered mine today from Dennis Dillon in Idaho. Have to drive back to San Diego. Gonna do some site seeing along the snake river. Then cut west maybe do a little pinning for gold. Got to pay for it. Take it easy explore camp. Have a nice little roadtrip vacation

Sponsored

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
You're doing this to allow components to heat up and then cool down. For instance, rear end gearing. The faster your speed, the faster the axle, spider gears, etc will turn. Keeping your speed at or below the recommended 55 mph helps to keep these components cooler in the initial 300 miles. Most of these items have been oiled but not really "used" yet. Giving them a chance to cool down is a good idea. I think the engine is probably the component that needs the least amount of break in as I think they are run before being installed. I'm by far no expert and I'm sure that 90% or more of all Jeeps sold are not broken in according to the manual.
I agree with this post to an certain extent... there’s a thread I read where a member did an oil analysis after the first 2000 miles(sorry I don’t have the results handy but metal was in that analysis, expected amount)so making sure to follow recommendations is highly recommended. Common sense as well...when stopping always let it idle for a couple minutes before turning off the ignitions. Using the gears to ascend hills and compression on decent all while paying close attention to RPM’s....after reading the thread on oil, I do plan on changing at 2000 miles for the first one then 3k on the 2nd and 5k ever after.. of course that’s earlier than recommended but I’m finicky when it comes to oil especially the first few changes.

Dw4980

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jku sahara silver metallic
:facepalm:
Here we go. Tachometer is on the left, 4 is the number you don't want to let it exceed for the first 50 miles (IIRC, per the earlier recommendation).

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-VLP-Interior-Instrument-Cluster-img.jpg.image.2000.jpg

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I still broke mine in like I always have and I’m at 1500 miles now. The dealer instructed me to “drive it like I’ve owned it for 10 years” as the Jeep is more efficient as it “ learns” each individuals driving habits. The only thing you’re not supposed to do for the first 500 miles is use cruise control.

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
Drive it like you stole it..................
Sponsored