Vehicle Break-In and Out of State Purchase

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
My experience with driving from Vegas back home in SoCal. I did drive on the freeway. I varied my speed and didn't use the cruise control. I kept the Jeep below 70 MPH. I figured that was good enough and not too crazy for these modern motors.
The big breakin item on a modern Wrangler isn't the motor, where the most important breakin happens at the factory so it'll pass emissions (as required before being sold in many states), it's the axles. They are pretty "tight" from the factory, both the bearings and bearing preloads, and the ring and pinion fitting, and can overheat until they're broken in. When I was breaking in my Jeep during the first fifty miles or so I stopped regularly to check how hot my axles were getting, and they got pretty toasty. So I'd let it sit for ten minutes to let them cool down a bit, and start again. Nowadays they don't get so toasty since they're long since broken in.
Sponsored

VA72mlibu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLR; 1972 Chevy Malibu; DHC-7 & BeechCraft King-Air (operated, not owned)
One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread that is probably worth noting. I'm no engineer, but I would think it best to disable the ESS during the break-in period. I'm guessing that engineers would have preferred to program the car to disable it until past a certain break-in threshold, but the dealers need it to function on test drives so they can point to it as a "feature".

badtux

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
One thing I didn't see mentioned in this thread that is probably worth noting. I'm no engineer, but I would think it best to disable the ESS during the break-in period.
It doesn't matter. It literally doesn't matter. The engine is already largely broken in before it arrives at the dealership, and ESS doesn't affect the rest of the drivetrain at all.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Drive normally and you will satisfy the break in requirements of moderate driving listed in the OM. Normal driving can mean different things to different people but IMO just don't drive at very high speeds (over 75 mph), keep rpm below 4000, vary rpm frequently, do not excessively idle the engine and in case of manual transmission, don't lug the engine (which you should never do even after the break in anyway). And do not tow or put heavy load. Light and moderate loads desirable.
You can drive on the interstate as long as you keep varying speed/rpm and don't use the cruise control.

tnkaren68

First Name
Karen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Compass upgrading to JLU
After reading all of your posts, did anyone have any problems? What did you do/what didn’t you do?

Ok so I’m picking up my new build with in the month and about a week later, I have a 10-12 hr drive that can only be interstate. There will be gas & potty breaks along the way. I can forgo Cruise Control but I will have to do at least 70 mph.
Sponsored