Jeep Jl Soft-top - Quick Question...

clf1024

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2018 JL Sahara
So I've got it folded back just so the 2 front seats are open. Do I have to worry about high speeds/wind on the highway? Do I need to strap it down too, or is it fine, just folded back?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Dagwood

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL, 1999 Jeep xj, 2008 Scion XB, 2015 Scion XB, 1966 Ford F100, 1969 Oldsmobile
I've never worried about it, no problems.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Chris @clf1024, what David @Dagwood said is my take too. I've never used the Velcro straps around the metal support bars when bringing the top down to its first (Sunrider) position. Some disagree.

Unless you've got some wicked breezes going on, the one created by forward motion of the vehicle is apt to be the most predominant one and consistent with keeping the top down.

Do note that the manual says you should use them, but it also says you should be removing the windows when bringing the soft top into Sunrider position---and of course these windows physically have to be removed for full opening (2nd position) of the soft top. But I would suggest this more legal speak than practical when it comes to Sunrider position.

As the subject of much heated a thread here, FCA has issued conflicting instructions on window removal, but the owner's manual is the prevailing legal document and it says remove the windows in Sunrider position: something I often do not do nor feel necessary.

Cheers.

drdriller

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl
I run all the time in sunrider position. My commute to work is 10 minutes on interstate and I have zero problems. And, I keep the back windows on

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I've gone up to 75 in sunder. It's not my favorite thing to do and I can detect a modest dip in my fuel economy when I do it because it's a bit like riding around with an open parachute, but no damage or harm so far.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I run all the time in sunrider position. My commute to work is 10 minutes on interstate and I have zero problems. And, I keep the back windows on
Yeah..I really do think that this FCA guidance to take them off here has to be at near top of the list of things FCA tells you to do that are less than essential.

Certainly there are things they recommend, say regarding service, that I'd take pretty seriously to preserve safety and life of the rig. But this: nah.

Tumbleweed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLU Auto 3.6L
Nope, Ive ran every possible combination going 75+ mph with no issues. Just make sure you strap it down so a gust of wind doesnt turn it into a parachute and that your side windows are seated properly in the rails so you dont lose them by accident

BoiledDogs

First Name
Tex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Gun Bunny
I've driven hours on the highway in both sun rider mode as well as top down. It's pretty secure without the straps. You're going to get wind speed regardless of which convertible you drive. I'd avoid driving on the highway with the doors off if you ever plan on doing that. The noise at 70 is ridiculous.

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I agree with the consensus here. Although using straps will cut down on 90% of the added wind noise. With a soft top it's already noisy, but trust me hearing the metal bars flap in the wind is curious the first few times. Also I had to torque a couple of bolts on my top to stop rattling, and I would think that over time it might come back if the top is shaken by the wind over time. I have not had to revisit this yet. Last note is that if you put the top all the way down you will have more visibility out of the back, and again the seatbelts flap a whole lot less.

Senator71

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
My JLU is my second Wrangler and both of them I've only ever had a soft top (premium on both). For me, driving with the roof open or off is a big part of the fun in a Wrangler even in the middle of winter as long as it's not raining. I tend to use one velcro strap if i'm doing a long journey or if it includes highway driving, although I have never had a problem when I didn't use it. Like everyone else, I also have the top open without removing the side and back windows and have never had a problem, even at 75mph plus.

Interestingly, I have more difficulty with the side windows on the JL than I did on the JK, which was a pig, but much more predictable. I find that the new system is infinitely better when opening the top from the sunder position to the full open, but locating the side window tabs is not as simple as it looks in the demo videos I've watched. Not sure if anyone else has the same problems or I'm doing something wrong.
Sponsored