Sponsored

2 Quick Questions (Soft Top & Push to Start)

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
I have two quick questions about the soft top.... Is there a non "premium" soft top, and is there a difference between that and the premium soft top?

And I may need a dunce cap since I am just coming to this realization, but is push to start standard across all trims? And while this may seem silly and a bit funny to want to change, but are there any aftermarket mods that would allow me for an old fashioned key start? I really don’t like push to start, especially when it comes to turning a vehicle off..... I may or may have not forgotten to turn a car off and killed the battery with a push to start car in the past.... :angel:
Sponsored

RockyMtnHigh

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon - Punk'n Orange
1) "̶P̶r̶e̶m̶i̶u̶m̶"̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶a̶r̶k̶e̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶e̶r̶m̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶a̶v̶a̶i̶l̶a̶b̶l̶e̶.̶ ̶I̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶T̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶f̶a̶b̶r̶i̶c̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶m̶a̶d̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶z̶i̶p̶p̶e̶r̶-̶l̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶d̶e̶s̶i̶g̶n̶.̶ ̶T̶o̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶i̶r̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶b̶e̶t̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶J̶K̶ ̶s̶o̶f̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶.̶
My mistake, evidently the lesser option is made of sailcloth.

2) Push to start is standard across all models, all trims. As far as I know, no one makes a keyed conversion. Personally, I didn't think I would like the push to start but it is fantastic. If you do forget to turn the Jeep off because of the push to start, you won't kill the battery, but you might run out of gas. I think it would be difficult to walk away from the Jeep while it's still running, they do purr. My only regret about the push to start, is not getting the proximity entry option. It would have made it a truly keyless experience, just put the fob in my pocket and forget about it. Though perhaps that would not suit you.. just my thoughts

Last edited:

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
1) The "non-premium" soft top (sailcloth) is standard when you order the Jeep. The Premium soft top (twill) is an upgrade. Both have a zipperless c-channel for the windows but the premium is thicker, more weather resistant, and quieter.

2) No option or aftermarket offerings to change to a regular key start. To be honest, I think the idea of key starts is going by the wayside, so might as well jump on the train now. :)

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Little bit of wrong info there. Yes there is a standard top of lesser quality than the premium. The premium is like a 595 upcharge.
That is unless something changed with the 19.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Little bit of wrong info there. Yes there is a standard top of lesser quality than the premium. The premium is like a 595 upcharge.
That is unless something changed with the 19.
Yep..still the same. Sailcloth - standard, premium - optional

Sponsored

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Yep..still the same. Sailcloth - standard, premium - optional
I understand people’s confusion. The only box to click on the build site says premium, so they assume that’s the only one, not realizing that’s an upgrade.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I understand people’s confusion. The only box to click on the build site says premium, so they assume that’s the only one, not realizing that’s an upgrade.
Agreed.

OP
OP
M_Pluto

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Thanks for the quick answers ya’ll..... And I guess since I am going with the 3.6 MT, I suppose I should be less likely to forget, since there is no Park.... but still, I recently test drove a MT Mazda that had push to start, and it was just weird, and felt too high tech for what a MT should be.... I think I have the notion in my head that MT should be more "mechanical" in operation, and that Push to start should be for AT.....

Anyone who has owned both a twill/premium soft top and a standard Sailcolth one and can attest to any differences?

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Thanks for the quick answers ya’ll..... And I guess since I am going with the 3.6 MT, I suppose I should be less likely to forget, since there is no Park.... but still, I recently test drove a MT Mazda that had push to start, and it was just weird, and felt too high tech for what a MT should be.... I think I have the notion in my head that MT should be more "mechanical" in operation, and that Push to start should be for AT.....

Anyone who has owned both a twill/premium soft top and a standard Sailcolth one and can attest to any differences?
I have the regular poor woman's soft top and it is 1000x better than the best top I had on my TJ. I think it is extremely quiet. I really like it. I looked at the premium top and I personally didn't like the twill look. It just looked like someone threw a pair of black jeans on top of the Jeep.

Jeepjunkie

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Vehicle Showcase

I had a regular soft top top on my TJ and now I have the twill, the twill is much quieter on the TJ. The regular top was probably in the low 80 dB range at 65 mph. The TJ twill is mid-70 dB at the same speed.
I have the twill on the JL, and never had the regular soft top for it. Let me tell you the twill on the JL is amazing, much quieter than the TJ twill. I used to have a Saab 900 covvertable, and the JL is as quiet as the Saab. I believe the JL twill is below 75 dB. I can have a hands free phone call at 70 mph speeds in a normal conversational tone.

The downside to the twill, besides cost, is some people say it’s harder to clean. I have not found it to be hard to clean myself though.

Sponsored

redracer

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Another difference between the "standard" and "Premium" soft tops is the tint in the rear windows. The Premium has a dark tint on all 3 rear windows where the standard is clear.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Another difference between the "standard" and "Premium" soft tops is the tint in the rear windows. The Premium has a dark tint on all 3 rear windows where the standard is clear.
Not at all. My Sport S has tinted windows. The basic Sport has clear unless you pay for tinted.

IMG_20190112_123315119.jpg

Matic

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon. 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD, DC, Pretunner
I'll throw my .02 cents in on the push button start.

As we all know, there is a key inside the fob. There was also a key inside the fob of my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack.

The reason for this explained in my Challenger manual was in case of a dead battery, you could still use the enclosed key to get inside the vehicles as the proximity locks wouldn't open with a dead battery.

Also...behind the push button cap, was a standard key cylinder that the key would fit into in case the push button mechanism was rendered useless or more so, if the key fob died or was broken.

I would suggest someone braver than myself take a very sharp object (at your own risk, ofcourse) and wedge it in the push button start, slowly pry one side, then the other and carefully pop the cap off.

Behind it it I bet you find a fully functioning key cylinder for which the key inside the fob fits.

Richard

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I'll throw my .02 cents in on the push button start.

As we all know, there is a key inside the fob. There was also a key inside the fob of my 2016 Challenger Scat Pack.

The reason for this explained in my Challenger manual was in case of a dead battery, you could still use the enclosed key to get inside the vehicles as the proximity locks wouldn't open with a dead battery.

Also...behind the push button cap, was a standard key cylinder that the key would fit into in case the push button mechanism was rendered useless or more so, if the key fob died or was broken.

I would suggest someone braver than myself take a very sharp object (at your own risk, ofcourse) and wedge it in the push button start, slowly pry one side, then the other and carefully pop the cap off.

Behind it it I bet you find a fully functioning key cylinder for which the key inside the fob fits.

Richard
No don’t do that! There are already threads on this. FCA doesn’t do that anymore: