Jeep is Gone

pipincan

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0L North Edition *Bikini Pearl*
The locker problem is one of the reasons not to buy a Rubicon. The lockers are failing because of a sensor getting oil in them, and Jeep's response currently is to replace the axle.

Now forward to where the warranty no longer applies. Are customers expected to fork out over $3000 per axle to fix this issue themselves because the local Jeep dealer says you're out of warranty? Imagine both axles screwing up?

So why buy a Rubicon in the first place? It would certainly make me think twice about buying any Jeep / FCA product if this happened to me in the future.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Our Rubicon started out great with the exception of the soft top but we just lived with it. We were in Moab ,Badlands and a lot of other great trails with it and then when 40,000 miles hit all the problems started. I never take out extended warranties cause you shouldn’t have to a vehicle should go over 100,000 miles with no problem.
I felt bad when people got brand new Jeep’s and they couldn,t keep them on the road and all the other problems. Unfortunately we were having issues with the radio, the steering was getting way to loose, the lockers would work sometimes and sometimes not.
We did nothing extreme that this vehicle would have suffered damage from and that’s why I’m just amazed how poor the durability of these Jeeps are. We never really had problems with our JK but initially liked the JL better until the problems started.
So for now we’re going around in a Gmc Canyon and wait a few years to see how the Broncos hold up or a Raptor or maybe a Toyota.
Sorry to hear about your JL crapping out so soon.

That is my worry as well. I refuse to buy extended warranties for a variety of reasons —e.g., I don’t trust FCA, Jeep dealers are crap for the most part, etc.

I owned several JKs that were trouble-free as well. My JL is now one year old and has only 5,600 miles. So far, it’s been trouble-free. And I love it, but there’s something in the back of my head that doesn’t let me get too comfortable with the durability of these new Jeeps.

GMC Canyon is a great truck. Both my brother and my business partner own one; it is comfortable and they have had zero issues with it.

I am not a big fan of Fords. Bronco is not even out and I am already sick and tired from all the hype.

If I were in your shoes, and haven’t come back to Wrangler yet, I’d wait to see what Toyota brings out. There are all sorts of rumors about Toyota plans for replacing 4Runner and Land Cruiser, and possibly bringing back the FJ Cruiser with 4 doors.

Best of luck.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The locker problem is one of the reasons not to buy a Rubicon. The lockers are failing because of a sensor getting oil in them, and Jeep's response currently is to replace the axle.

Now forward to where the warranty no longer applies. Are customers expected to fork out over $3000 per axle to fix this issue themselves because the local Jeep dealer says you're out of warranty? Imagine both axles screwing up?

So why buy a Rubicon in the first place? It would certainly make me think twice about buying any Jeep / FCA product if this happened to me in the future.
It won't be long before aftermarket parts are readily available to make that a simple fix.

MJHuber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There are folks that are getting it done free after the warranty has run out. But, those may be folks that have prior complaints on record.

Later,
Johnny
New JLUR owner, can you please provide more info on what the steering issues are, what years they have issues with, and the applicable fixes? Thanks.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I felt bad when people got brand new Jeeps and they couldn't keep them on the road and all the other problems.

Unfortunately we were having issues with the radio, the steering was getting way to loose, the lockers would work sometimes and sometimes not.
I was one of those who couldn't keep his then-new Wrangler.

While I don't mean to sound like I'm keeping score, my 1995 YJ had a genuine problem: piston slap. The short block was replaced under warranty. When the problem reoccurred, and the servicing dealer brushed me off the second time around, I cut my losses and sold the vehicle (to another dealer) without delay.

With a new JL now in the garage, I gave the brand 25 years to get their act together. Fingers crossed.

I had a brand new 2017 Civic (I got for my daughter) blow oil all over my garage floor its first week lol.
As you may be aware, some model year 2016/17/18 Civics suffered from a defect with the parking brake switch (the brake itself being electrically operated). Here's just one link of several related to that issue.

I was on point regarding the aforementioned matter because Mrs. Heimkehr purchased a new 2019 Honda CR-V EX in August of that year. That vehicle is essentially the same as its original 2017 redesign, is based on the Civic platform, and is also equipped with an electric parking brake. No problems to date, thankfully.

Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
New JLUR owner, can you please provide more info on what the steering issues are, what years they have issues with, and the applicable fixes? Thanks.
It was corrected with the 2021 model year. You're OK.

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
I parked next to a Rapture yesterday at the gym and was surprised to see it was as tall as my lifted JL with 37s.
That's it! I am calling them RAPTURE for now on! I like. :clap:

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
And this goes to show you how poorly trained FCA service techs are. You'd think they'd do a better job teaching them how to spot things like this so that Jeep only has to eat shit on a sensor instead of an entire axle.

Then you have straight up poor R&D of parts. The UConnect is a perfect example of this. People have to get the entire radio replaced when the unit bricks from a failed software update. This wouldn't be an issue at all if the software was written to handle installation failures correctly like other software has successfully been doing for over 30 years.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Every car manufacturer has people who have problems with their vehicles.

Better luck with your next one but no guarantee it will be any better.

It's basically a crapshoot.
The first new vehicle I ever bought was a 1970 MGB GT. British Racing Green, chrome wire wheels, four speed manual with electric overdrive - I loved that car. For about six months. Paint problems, wheels wouldn't balance, The Prince of Darkness (Lucas Electrics) all told me the sad story - I'd crapped out. Six months in, I sold it with no regret.

jjs3845

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara Unltd. in Snazzberry
Sorry to hear about your JL crapping out so soon.

That is my worry as well. I refuse to buy extended warranties for a variety of reasons —e.g., I don’t trust FCA, Jeep dealers are crap for the most part, etc.

I owned several JKs that were trouble-free as well. My JL is now one year old and has only 5,600 miles. So far, it’s been trouble-free. And I love it, but there’s something in the back of my head that doesn’t let me get too comfortable with the durability of these new Jeeps.

GMC Canyon is a great truck. Both my brother and my business partner own one; it is comfortable and they have had zero issues with it.

I am not a big fan of Fords. Bronco is not even out and I am already sick and tired from all the hype.

If I were in your shoes, and haven’t come back to Wrangler yet, I’d wait to see what Toyota brings out. There are all sorts of rumors about Toyota plans for replacing 4Runner and Land Cruiser, and possibly bringing back the FJ Cruiser with 4 doors.

Best of luck.
It pains me to say it, but I totally agree. I had a 2020 JL with a backup sensor issue nobody could fix and FCA wanted no part of it although they put me on all kinds of support programs which did nothing and looking back was just lip service. I now have a 2021 JL. Had it for 6 weeks and had the backup camera crap out and fix itself, and had the Auto stop/start warning light already. Shouldn't do that with a 40,000+ vehicle with 1200 miles on it.

I've had 2 Tundras. Most I ever did to them was change the oil and filters and tires. But I was ready for a smaller vehicle and the Jeeps looked fun. I may keep this a year and go get a Tacoma or maybe an FJ if they come back out. I'm just disappointed. I had a 2 month ordeal with my first Jeep, now I hope this one behaves for a while.

The other thing is I don't know who here had had Toyotas but if your service at your dealer is anything like ours, its exemplary.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
2021 MY Jeeps have the fix already so if you're on on a new JL, you should be good. Short answer is they replaced the steering box and a few associated components. I just got mine done last week on my 2020 and the steering is just about perfect.

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
The first new vehicle I ever bought was a 1970 MGB GT. British Racing Green, chrome wire wheels, four speed manual with electric overdrive - I loved that car. For about six months. Paint problems, wheels wouldn't balance, The Prince of Darkness (Lucas Electrics) all told me the sad story - I'd crapped out. Six months in, I sold it with no regret.
That was a bad choice. Against the advice of my roommate and every mechanic I asked, I bought a Triumph Spitfire (aka “misfire”) when they had a lot full of them in 1979 for cheap. As it turns out, all the folks I talked to were right. That tiny cartoon car was fun to drive in the sun, but it was a POS British car... The brits were building miserably unreliable cars long before we yanks learned how to follow in their footsteps. :CWL:

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Doesn't the Wrangler have 5yr/60k on the drivetrain? It won't help with the radio, but the lockers should be covered. Same dealer that does the lockers would probably do the steering box under warranty.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Then you have straight up poor R&D of parts. The UConnect is a perfect example of this. People have to get the entire radio replaced when the unit bricks from a failed software update.
That was my father's experience with whatever factory iRadio was installed in his 2015 3500 Cummins. It was replaced under warranty. The dealer returned the vehicle to him with a non-functioning HVAC system (the controls for which were bundled in said iRadio.) He had to get within a hair of engaging an attorney (for what would have begun with a demand letter) before the offending dealership begrudgingly agreed to installing a remanufactured replacement unit. The same chumps that didn't test the original replacement for function before giving the keys back the first time. Did they think the customer wouldn't notice? I still shake my head that this actually happened.

Everything works as it should now, but he won't be darkening their doorway ever again.

Ah. British Leyland. I've owned three of that breed, two being MGs. A fair bit of my automotive apprenticeship was served, serving them.

The factory wheels (both the wires, and the steel Rostyles) are hub-centric. They require special balancing equipment and knowledge.

As for Lucas, there are workarounds. The harnesses were built to a price, and more relays than were originally present are necessary to add a measure of reliability (example). Aftermarket rocker switches to replace the godawful originals might not look correct, but they were always my go-to early on. This book helped enormously, also. My second B in particular, now sold, was as reliable as I'd want it to be. It won Best in Class some years ago.

They can be good cars, but I grant that the work has to be put in.

The foregoing was knowledge earned through hindsight, and the experience of others. Pioneers like yourself. :)

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
It's a pickup, you're measuring the wrong part. The ground clearance is crap.
Even parking next to a new Silverado makes the 2 look equal in height cause of the hide hoods and sides they put on these trucks anymore. Even the new Tahoe next to my 17 Tahoe makes my Tahoe look miniature.
Sponsored