Sponsored

Jeep is Gone

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
My friend rode a Triumph motorcycle (back when they really sucked). He had a sticker that said "The parts falling off this bike are of the highest quality British manufacture."
I bought a Triumph Tiger 995 in 2004. By then they were building great bikes. Durable too. I guess we’re all capable of change! :like:
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Our Rubicon started out great with the exception of the soft top but we just lived with it. We were in Moab ,Badlands and a lot of other great trails with it and then when 40,000 miles hit all the problems started. I never take out extended warranties cause you shouldn’t have to a vehicle should go over 100,000 miles with no problem.
I felt bad when people got brand new Jeep’s and they couldn,t keep them on the road and all the other problems. Unfortunately we were having issues with the radio, the steering was getting way to loose, the lockers would work sometimes and sometimes not.
We did nothing extreme that this vehicle would have suffered damage from and that’s why I’m just amazed how poor the durability of these Jeeps are. We never really had problems with our JK but initially liked the JL better until the problems started.
So for now we’re going around in a Gmc Canyon and wait a few years to see how the Broncos hold up or a Raptor or maybe a Toyota.

That sucks, the only one I know of close is 4Runner. Not sure about Bronco. I have owned both JK and JL (newly own) and never had anything other than a rear defroster go bad on the JK. Also owned the 4Runner which the engine was lacking but always dependable.

Hope you have better luck, but then I had a buddy with a 4Runner and Tundra and had nothing but bad luck with them.

Bree

First Name
Bren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Sahara
Sorry for your troubles. It sucks.

The Raptor is cool, but it has nothing in common with the JL except tire brand and four wheel drive. And the Raptor definitely isn’t a rock crawler, but it’s huge fun at speed... you’ll miss the Jeep.
Ram TRX eats the Raptor!

Reactions: VNT

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The new cast iron steering box is less than $300 online. I'm toying with the idea of replacing mine myself, although I am under warranty...I think.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Anyone feel the build quality and reliability of the JL is a step back from the JK?

The upgrades are nice, in terms of materials and options. But overall I feel like the known issues are further and wider than when the JK came out.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The new cast iron steering box is less than $300 online. I'm toying with the idea of replacing mine myself, although I am under warranty...I think.
There is a rumor of a January recall...might be worth waiting a month or two before pulling the trigger.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions but I think my decision was mostly based on principle. Had this Jeep for 26 months and all these things started going wrong.
Our 2006 GMC Sierra 189thousand miles replaced an airbag sensor.
2015 GMC Sierra 107thousand miles just maintenance. I’m disappointed with what FCA is doing with Jeep they should be tougher.
I'm also a GM truck guy. My 1999 went 225K with a spindle replacement, A/C recharge and just preventative maintenance (belts, hoses, waterpump, thermostat, at around 135k) . The 08 went 125k with an A/C recharge. My 14 is at about 90k and has only needed a A/C condenser. I'm satisfied with GM trucks.

The Jeep has been a challenge to stay positive about. I replaced all the steering linkage (tierod, draglink), and both front and rear trackbars, and adjusted the crappy steering box. It steers about as well as it should have....now. The rear axle seal on the right wheel started leaking around 6000 miles and the visors fell down around that time as well.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
There is a rumor of a January recall...might be worth waiting a month or two before pulling the trigger.
I'll wait then. But, I'm not too keen on letting them do the work. I fixed my axle seal myself at my expense for the parts ($100). If the recall doesn't materialize, I may just pay for the part myself and install myself. I think it'll help the resale of it (with a savvy buyer) when that day comes.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Sorry for your troubles. It sucks.

The Raptor is cool, but it has nothing in common with the JL except tire brand and four wheel drive. And the Raptor definitely isn’t a rock crawler, but it’s huge fun at speed... you’ll miss the Jeep.
Raptor is a great truck, esp for baja. Ours sits in the garage. "Somebody" thinks it is a Porcelain doll and is scared of getting a scratch on it. As a vehicle, i find it very comfy and ABSOLUTELY HUGE on the inside. I would not like driving it, in fact, in 2 yrs of owning it, i never have once wanted to drive it.
BUT A JEEP IS A JEEP. no truck, no bronco (although they are the closest) or even a gladiator imo, will ever be a jeep JEEP. I cancelled my bronco, simply bc the 2 door didnt come w a soft top and bc broncos are sooooo big. I wasnt trading in my jeep... i wanted to have both bc the bronco looks so cool and that white interior they teased us with was the bomb. Personally, i miss the size if the TJ's. Even my 2 door jl is just.so.big. anyhoo... a raptor is a great truck. I find it much more comfy than the full size suvs ( we also have an armada - with almost 300k miles, i kid you not, the dang thing lives on and on just to make me mad). I like the raptors big open cab, and the clutter/shopping bags /suitcases/storage being out of sight, under the cover, in the tailbed. And boy is it fast. But you can't say raptor or jeep.
You say raptor AND jeep.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I own 2 - 2018 Wrangler JLU Saharas with the 2.0L 4cyl Turbo.

Both have similar options:
8.4 UConnect w/Nav
Proximity Sensors on doors
8-Speed Automatic
Wife's has the Leather, LED package & Towing package, Mine does not...

Wife's has 18,000 miles
Mine has 27,000 miles

So far, mine has been in the shop at least 5 times for the Check Engine light coming on, they have replaced the driver door proximity lock mechanism, a coolant pump, and now it's back in the shop within 4 weeks with the same P023A code for the coolant pump and the Steering TSB fix that FINALLY came in (thanks to @JeepCares for hunting it down for me). I also had to replace the crappy OEM steering dampener with a Fox 2.0 Stabilizer to keep the Death Wobble from happening every time I ran over an ant in the road. Also found quite a few very loose bolts including the 4 that keep the windshield from folding down.

I love my Jeep, but I bought a premium (not FCA) 125,000 mile 5-year warranty to hopefully stave off any large out-of-pocket expenses down the road.

On the other hand, my wife's has had ZERO issues other than the Death Wobble which we put a bandaid on with the Fox 2.0 Steering Dampener. No check engine lights, no loose bolts, etc. Waiting on the TSB to be done on her steering now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Stlrfan152

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1998 TJ, 1975 Corvette
Im in the same boat. My steering is horrible and they keep pushing the date for the part out. Ive been to the dealer 4 times for the radio that apperently has nothing wrong, 3 times for the steering, now the start stop battery is dead, and my rear lsd is making really loud knocking noises. Jeeps are my favorite vehicle but its really hard to even enjoy this one. I was actually just talking about getting rid of mine a min before i saw this post.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I own 2 - 2018 Wrangler JLU Saharas with the 2.0L 4cyl Turbo.

Both have similar options:
8.4 UConnect w/Nav
Proximity Sensors on doors
8-Speed Automatic
Wife's has the Leather, LED package & Towing package, Mine does not...

Wife's has 18,000 miles
Mine has 27,000 miles

So far, mine has been in the shop at least 5 times for the Check Engine light coming on, they have replaced the driver door proximity lock mechanism, a coolant pump, and now it's back in the shop within 4 weeks with the same P023A code for the coolant pump and the Steering TSB fix that FINALLY came in (thanks to @JeepCares for hunting it down for me). I also had to replace the crappy OEM steering dampener with a Fox 2.0 Stabilizer to keep the Death Wobble from happening every time I ran over an ant in the road. Also found quite a few very loose bolts including the 4 that keep the windshield from folding down.

I love my Jeep, but I bought a premium (not FCA) 125,000 mile 5-year warranty to hopefully stave off any large out-of-pocket expenses down the road.

On the other hand, my wife's has had ZERO issues other than the Death Wobble which we put a bandaid on with the Fox 2.0 Steering Dampener. No check engine lights, no loose bolts, etc. Waiting on the TSB to be done on her steering now.
Your experience is a great example of what is like to own an FCA vehicle: our chances of getting a perfectly trouble-free Jeep, or a total lemon, are about even.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone feel the build quality and reliability of the JL is a step back from the JK?

The upgrades are nice, in terms of materials and options. But overall I feel like the known issues are further and wider than when the JK came out.
The build quality of my JL is 100x better than any JK I owned: the paint is even, body panels align perfectly, the interior is put together with care, the fenders and the tailgate look and feel a lot stronger than those on JKs.

Reliability is a different matter altogether. My JL has been trouble free so far. But the stories I read on here of the issues others are having with their JLs is beyond anything I saw on the JK forums. Many are having issues as soon as they drive off the lot. Dealers’ inability —or incompetence— fixing things only adds another layer of concern.

I really like my JL; I am planning to keep it for a long time. But seeing what others go through, makes me think I’ll be lucky if it makes it to the end of the factory warranty.

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The build quality of my JL is 100x better than any JK I owned: the paint is even, body panels align perfectly, the interior is put together with care, the fenders and the tailgate look and feel a lot stronger than those on JKs.

Reliability is a different matter altogether. My JL has been trouble free so far. But the stories I read on here of the issues others are having with their JLs is beyond anything I saw on the JK forums. Many are having issues as soon as they drive off the lot. Dealers’ inability —or incompetence— fixing things only adds another layer of concern.

I really like my JL; I am planning to keep it for a long time. But seeing what others go through, makes me think I’ll be lucky if it makes it to the end of the factory warranty.
9600 miles on mine, no off-roading, and it rattles all over the place. Dash, top, rear cargo area. All highway really. It’s insane.

Shouldn’t be this way. My JK didn’t rattle like this thing and they had several thousand more miles and were older.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
9600 miles on mine, no off-roading, and it rattles all over the place. Dash, top, rear cargo area. All highway really. It’s insane.

Shouldn’t be this way. My JK didn’t rattle like this thing and they had several thousand more miles and were older.
Mine has 5,600 miles and besides sporadic rattle coming from the seatbelt anchor, it does not rattle one bit.

The difference in quality between one JL and the next is really staggering.
Sponsored