Jeep Factory Leather Options

TomK

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I took delivery of my '21 Rubicon with perforated leather a couple weeks ago, and am very happy with my seat choice. As was mentioned above, you lose the center arm rest/cup holder in the rear seat and fake leather on a couple of items up front, but gain a cupholder on the back of the center console. The leather is significantly nicer than the standard partial leather seats, plus it is actually all leather. The stitching on the seat is red except for the Jeep grill on the headrests, which is white. It actually looks okay. I can't speak to durability at this point, but I'm satisfied with what I received and would do it again.

IMG-2407.jpg

IMG-2408.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Daug

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited and Gladiator
I took delivery of my '21 Rubicon with perforated leather a couple weeks ago, and am very happy with my seat choice. As was mentioned above, you lose the center arm rest/cup holder in the rear seat and fake leather on a couple of items up front, but gain a cupholder on the back of the center console. The leather is significantly nicer than the standard partial leather seats, plus it is actually all leather. The stitching on the seat is red except for the Jeep grill on the headrests, which is white. It actually looks okay. I can't speak to durability at this point, but I'm satisfied with what I received and would do it again.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Factory Leather Options IMG-2408

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeep Factory Leather Options IMG-2408
Man that does look good. Thanks for sharing. I’m glad they are going with the red stitching on the rubicon.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Yeah, in the past, 70th and 75th Anniversary Editions were based on Sahara: you got the Sahara painted fenders, grille, sidesteps, the extra sound deadening, the big brake kit, 18-inch wheels, etc.

80A throws me off sometimes: like Sport, it has no Sahara sidesteps; but it has Sahara's grille, bumpers, painted fenders, 18-inch wheels and, apparently, the upgraded door armrests too
And the 8.4 screen and Alpine system too. The 80th really is a sleeper trim...great for anyone looking to lease a Sahara because you get essentially a Sahara for $2k less with Sport S residual.

982500h

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
I'm confused. The build page has a $1695 (above std cloth) option for "leather-trimmed bucket seats." A separate option (available w/cloth or "leather-trimmed") is a $1750 perforated/stitched leather black by Mopar.
1. Leather-trimmed bucket seats actually leather or vinyl?
2. What is the difference between leather-trimmed and perforated/stitched leather as far as seat cover materials. Let's ignore cup holders and armrests for now.
3. Since I can select both $1695 and $1750 options, what do I gain by doing so?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My understanding is the factory seats use leather only where our body touches the seat. The Mopar leather seats are supposed to contain more leather surfaces.

Having said that, all automakers, FCA included, play fast and loose when it comes to saying exactly what is and isn't leather. For durability reasons, automotive leather is so heavily plastified that it is increasingly difficult to tell. And man-made materials have become so advanced, often times they are better than leather.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Mopar seats and the factory seats have the exact amount of leather pieces; it is just that one, with leather grain, is installed at the factory and the other, perforated, by an outside vendor.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
For what it is worth i prefer the cup holders on the back of the console to the fold-down armrest. I can put a drink or bottle of water in them and reach them from the drivers seat.

snapper692

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU)
My dumbass did the same thing……Not happy about losing the rear fold down arm rest. The rest doesn’t bother me too much, but that one does. Should’ve known better! 😑

OP
OP
Daug

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm confused. The build page has a $1695 (above std cloth) option for "leather-trimmed bucket seats." A separate option (available w/cloth or "leather-trimmed") is a $1750 perforated/stitched leather black by Mopar.
1. Leather-trimmed bucket seats actually leather or vinyl?
2. What is the difference between leather-trimmed and perforated/stitched leather as far as seat cover materials. Let's ignore cup holders and armrests for now.
3. Since I can select both $1695 and $1750 options, what do I gain by doing so?
From my research the separate options, which are perforated or stitched, actually gives you a better seat cover. They are full grain leather from what I gather and are very nice. What you lose is the nicer dash pad, premium door panels, console cover, break lever, rear passenger center console / arm rest with cup holders all with matching red stitching. I guess it’s a personal preference. The issue is that it’s not clear that you lose these little extras when you decide to pay $55.00 more for some stitching or perforation.

OP
OP
Daug

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For what it is worth i prefer the cup holders on the back of the console to the fold-down armrest. I can put a drink or bottle of water in them and reach them from the drivers seat.
My gladiator has both. I didn’t realize that you lost the the cup holders behind the center of the console on the wrangler if you choose the leather trim option. I like having those there too.

982500h

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ
From my research the separate options, which are perforated or stitched, actually gives you a better seat cover. They are full grain leather from what I gather and are very nice. What you lose is the nicer dash pad, premium door panels, console cover, break lever, rear passenger center console / arm rest with cup holders all with matching red stitching. I guess it’s a personal preference. The issue is that it’s not clear that you lose these little extras when you decide to pay $55.00 more for some stitching or perforation.
Ok. I think I get it. The $1695 "leather trimmed" option is the factory cheap leather option, which includes the nicer dash pad, door panels, etc. The $1750 is the dealer adding the nicer MOPAR (aka Katzkin) leather to the seats, but leaves everything else as is. So in theory opting for the perforated/stitched MOPAR leather is the dealer swapping the seat material to nice leather. If you choose BOTH the leather trimmed option and the stitched/perforated options, you get the nice leather with the nicer dash panel, brake lever, cup holders, etc. Of course now this becomes a $3445 upgrade (1695+1750).

Sponsored

OP
OP
Daug

Daug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. I think I get it. The $1695 "leather trimmed" option is the factory cheap leather option, which includes the nicer dash pad, door panels, etc. The $1750 is the dealer adding the nicer MOPAR (aka Katzkin) leather to the seats, but leaves everything else as is. So in theory opting for the perforated/stitched MOPAR leather is the dealer swapping the seat material to nice leather. If you choose BOTH the leather trimmed option and the stitched/perforated options, you get the nice leather with the nicer dash panel, brake lever, cup holders, etc. Of course now this becomes a $3445 upgrade (1695+1750).
I think you’ve got it. The other catch is I believe it throws an error if you try to combine the two. It petty much forces you to choose cloth if you select one of the other two options. Hope this helps.

Jeepless

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLUR XR
Can we confirm whether the stitching is white or red on the perforated and stitched options, for 2022. Tbh white stitching and losing the rest of the leather is a huge deal breaker.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I think you’ve got it. The other catch is I believe it throws an error if you try to combine the two. It petty much forces you to choose cloth if you select one of the other two options. Hope this helps.
You can order the regular leather seats, which includes the nicely padded door armrests and the rear fold down center armrest, and then ask the dealer to swap the factory leather with custom Katzkins. They are not mutually exclusive but, as already mentioned, it will be VERY expensive.

For clarification: on Rubicons you lose everything —door and rear fold down armrests— when you order cloth or Mopar leather; on Saharas you always get the nicer door armrests, but you still lose the rear fold down armrest.

If you get the High Altitude you don’t have to worry about any of it. You get the better leather, the nicer door armrests, the rear fold down armrest, and the leather-covered dashboard with stitching from Sahara.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Sort of. The Mopar leather seats are installed at the factory. But yes, on Rubicon you lose the nicer door armrests and rear fold down armrest. On Sahara you lose the leather stitched dashboard and rear fold down armrest, but you still get the nicer door armrests. Rubicons don’t get the stitched leather dashboard.

Separately from all of this, you can also custom order Katzkin leather seats through your dealer, regardless of Wrangler trim. You can get any leather and stitching color combination, quilting, special embroidering, etc.
Sponsored