Sponsored

Jeep etiquette

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
So I’m on my third wrangler and I never got this question answered: what is the proper response to other vehicles made by Jeep?

Explanation- driving today I had a person in a liberty give me the Jeep wave. Not the “oh hi, neighbor!”, the “I’m a Jeep, you’re a Jeep- we wave” wave.

I grew up understanding that a Jeep is a Wrangler. When you say “I have a Jeep”- there is an expectation that you have the typical off-roady, doors off, no roof type Jeep. Others say “I have a Cherokee” and so on.

So my question is based on that. I wave back back, as that’s the nice thing to do. However, I don’t initiate if not a Wrangler. What’s the group thought on this? It’s killing my brain!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
So I’m on my third wrangler and I never got this question answered: what is the proper response to other vehicles made by Jeep?

Explanation- driving today I had a person in a liberty give me the Jeep wave. Not the “oh hi, neighbor!”, the “I’m a Jeep, you’re a Jeep- we wave” wave.

I grew up understanding that a Jeep is a Wrangler. When you say “I have a Jeep”- there is an expectation that you have the typical off-roady, doors off, no roof type Jeep. Others say “I have a Cherokee” and so on.

So my question is based on that. I wave back back, as that’s the nice thing to do. However, I don’t initiate if not a Wrangler. What’s the group thought on this? It’s killing my brain!
Plain and simple, if she is cute you wave at her! ;)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

This is generally my attitude as far as the Jeep wave too. I initiate the wave to other wranglers and CJs but if someone in another Jeep model waves at me I'll be friendly and wave back. I think people are polarized enough when it comes to different trim models with the Wrangler that any further division is detrimental to common decency.

Sponsored

Nomad_K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKUR, 2016 4Runner
This is generally my attitude as far as the Jeep wave too. I initiate the wave to other wranglers and CJs but if someone in another Jeep model waves at me I'll be friendly and wave back. I think people are polarized enough when it comes to different trim models with the Wrangler that any further division is detrimental to common decency.
I am the same - I will wave to CJ's, Wranglers, and other Jeeps if they wave. When I built my fist JK I waved to every Jeep and after the 10th Grand Cherokee owner looking at me, looking behind them, and then returning to me with a blank stare I put a hold on the proactive wave to every vehicle that had a Jeep badge.

homerun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 XJ, 2004 Ford Ranger, 2013 Subaru Impreza, 1996 HD Springer Softtail, past jeep 1995 YJ
Don’t forget about a well built XJ, they deserve some wave action.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Long story short I met a close friend of mine I had not seen in quite awhile, we agreed to do lunch so she asked me “ What ya driving so I know what to look for” I told her a Jeep which at the time it was a 2018 Jeep Compass, any way I going to the meeting spot and she text me and said where you at and I told her and when she saw what I was driving she said “I thought you said you had a Jeep” and I said I do and she very quickly responded “ THATS NOT A REAL JEEP” so now I own a Wrangler :like:

tscribe

First Name
toni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler unlimited jl

I had a JK for 9 years and now I have a 2018 JL. I wave to anybody in a wrangler. IMO a wrangler is a wrangler! I was a Marine and I recognize all wranglers because that’s the make and model that was copied from the original military vehicle I loved so much. When Jeep owners get snotty about the CJ vs YJ vs TJ vs JK and heavily modded vs factory and decide they won’t wave because you’re not in an “approved” wrangler it just pisses me off really. The non wavers are ruining the culture. I mean unless you’re driving the original standard military issue ford jeep....you’re not in an original so stop being a snot and wave.

I don’t initiate waves for other Jeep brands but hey if they wave I wave...but never got a wave from a non wrangler Jeep brand owner....except sometimes there’s a random “other car brand” wave and I just assume their other vehicle is a Jeep! Lol

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I had a JK for 9 years and now I have a 2018 JL. I wave to anybody in a wrangler. IMO a wrangler is a wrangler! I was a Marine and I recognize all wranglers because that’s the make and model that was copied from the original military vehicle I loved so much. When Jeep owners get snotty about the CJ vs YJ vs TJ vs JK and heavily modded vs factory and decide they won’t wave because you’re not in an “approved” wrangler it just pisses me off really. The non wavers are ruining the culture. I mean unless you’re driving the original standard military issue ford jeep....you’re not in an original so stop being a snot and wave.

I don’t initiate waves for other Jeep brands but hey if they wave I wave...but never got a wave from a non wrangler Jeep brand owner....except sometimes there’s a random “other car brand” wave and I just assume their other vehicle is a Jeep! Lol
Fully agree with you. A few weeks ago I passed by a guy in a CJ-5 that was really snooty about it... He acknowledged my wave with a look of smugness. Kind of reminds me of those grunts that would call me a POG even though we're both on patrol.

Semper Fi

Sponsored

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
If I get a wave, I wave back.
Honestly I don't care if its not even a jeep lol. I like being happy and friendly.

This world needs more waving...Im going to randomly start waving at non jeeps to, and waving at people in line at stores lol

Stan_Smith

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2D
Vehicle Showcase
The wave thing is bizarre. Do you wave at anyone who wears same brand of shoes? Pants? Drinks same cola? Wave to another Jeeper where there nothing but Jeeps? Complete drivel.

Same thing with motorcycles. I'm not taking my hand of the handlebar just because you want to get your existence validated. Gtfo

Flyslinger2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sahara
We hit OBX a day before officials announced the evac for Dorian. Our two kids counted up almost 200 Jeeps per day for the two days we were there. Our arms had never gotten so much exercise waving at other Wranglers. It was fun and added a new dimension to our annual trek to the beach. This was the first year for us with our JLU. Never made it to the 4X4 beach, sadly.

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Might be one of the ultimate first world problems. I started driving Jeeps of various types 50 years ago when I was discharged from the Marines. Until joining this forum, I'd never even heard of Jeep waving. However, for me Jeep is a vehicle, not a lifestyle or an identity. Certainly not a thing I worry about.

BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
I'm new to Jeeps but not off roading. I never heard of the Jeep Wave until I bought my Wrangler. Where I'm at maybe 20% of the Jeeps that pass me by give the wave.
Sponsored