Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
I have a hi lift coming today, not that excited about it. I think they're scary and I don't want to ride around with that thing attached to my tire carrier like some Atlanta poser, but i didn't see any other options. With 37s and tons of sag there weren't many choices. My bumpers are made for hi lifts so maybe I won't die.
Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a hi lift coming today, not that excited about it. I think they're scary and I don't want to ride around with that thing attached to my tire carrier like some Atlanta poser, but i didn't see any other options. With 37s and tons of sag there weren't many choices. My bumpers are made for hi lifts so maybe I won't die.
I'm with you on this one. I also purchased the Dominion Offroad mount for the HiLift that attaches inside the Jeep up near the roof on the roll bar. https://www.dominionoffroad.com/best_jeep_jl_hi-lift_mount/index.htm I found it on Amazon for a bit cheaper.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm sure others will comment, but I always jack on the frame itself. The pinch seam is just where the body panels are merged and "pinched" at the bottom. I have a set of Rock Slide Engineering drop down step/sliders that mount through the pinch seam, but their weight is carried by three brackets per side that are mounted via the body mounts. As a result, I don't even see the pinch seam.

If I'm jacking the Jeep up onto four jack stands (all four wheels off the ground) I usually jack front and rear directly under the front and rear differential. If I am jacking one wheel off the ground then I choose a frame location near the wheel.
I can't really understand why you would use the frame as a jack point to remove a tire. That is a lot more work and lifting than needs to happen. FCA gave us front and rear solid axles, so put your scissor (or bottle) jack under the axle tube as close to the wheel/tire as possible. When done this way, you don't have to lift the frame until the axle is done drooping, the axle and suspension stays compressed and you're not maxing out the lift height of a scissor or bottle jack.

The only time I actually use the frame as a lift point is when I am doing suspension work (chiefly R&R'ing springs).

Sponsored

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
It's a mopar part. Part number 82215637AB
Wow $72 for a glorified bunch of wood blocks.......Thank you, but I'll likely cut a 2 x 10 in the garage and pile a few pieces up.

OP
OP
BobK

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The jack just barley works on my 35's, even rocks or dirt would work in a pinch.
I tested my factory scissor jack last night. At full extended length it just barely touches the axle tube. I'd need a good four to six inches of additional height under the jack to get the tire off the ground.

Sponsored