It's a jeep thing...

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Best one yet from the dealership - earlier this year my front seat broke and locked itself forward. Seems to be a fairly common issue but it took 5 weeks to get the parts/finally get my jeep back. But when I got it back the drivers seat did indeed fold forward but it didn't roll forward on the rails as it should. I pointed out this incredibly obvious issue and they asked if I wanted to keep the loaner car and they would have another go at it. I was somewhat fed up with the process so said I would take it back for now and next time it was in for service I would get them to take a look.

Fast forward to today and I take it in for an oil change and whilst its there I explain that the seat wasn't fixed properly and could they have a look at it... and wait for it... after a 2 hour wait the feedback from the technician is "it is supposed to be that way, for safety reasons" hahahahaha. I say unless I have gone quietly mad and forgotten how seats normally work, pretty sure that is wrong. He insists.... so I ask him if he could open up the 2 door Islander they have sitting outside to see if that is the case. SHOCKINGLY, I was correct and now they have ordered me an entirely new seat. What a ridiculous experience.
Wow....
Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I couldn’t have resisted going back to the shop and heading them 2.5 qts of oil telling them I was being polite and returning it since I didn’t need it.
Yeah, it was my reflex too, but then thought that I had no proof that the oil came from my Jeep. Just like if I would have gone there to tell them that there's too much oil, they sure as heck wouldn't have come back to tell me that there was 2.5 quarts too much in there.

So I took it as a sign that I should do like I always did with my previous Jeeps and do the work myself. Wasn't the first time that they screw up..

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
After all the people saying that their 3.6 JL engines were overfilled by dealers because technicians mistake the JK and JL , which takes 1 quart less than the JK , I mentioned it to my dealer on my last oil change (I have lifetime free oil changes).

His answer was '' Our technicians are professionals and not Walmart mechanics and sure as Hell know the difference between the JL and the JK''.

A few weeks passed and I read a few more overfill complaints and decide to check my Jeep.... The oil level was a good inch up on the ''rod of the dipstick'' !!!!!. At that point, I didn't know if it was really overfilled or if I had the wrong dipstick.

I decided I didn't trust the level and would flush the oil and do my own oil change.... Exactly 7.5 quarts were drained from my engine supposed to hold 5 quarts !!!!!

I filled it up with 5 quarts, and the level is spot-on at the full line on the dipstick.

So I don't care about their free lifetime oil changes... From now on, I'll do my own thank you.
You had no issues like CEL flashing or high oil pressure with weeks of driving with 2.5 extra quarts?

Sponsored

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
You had no issues like CEL flashing or high oil pressure with weeks of driving with 2.5 extra quarts?
Nope, no lights on. I've been working from home, So not many miles were driven like that. Quite a few very short trips, but no long rides.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Sadly, 2-door and MT Wranglers are near orphan products. Jeep dedicates the least amount of engineering resources to those variants as they can possibly get away with.

That is why there are no Diesel, no hybrids, no V8s, no Xtreme Recon with 35s, etc on 2-doors or with a MT.

It's almost as if Jeep wants to punish you for daring to choose an MT or 2-door.
One thing being I live in a city, that local dealer doesn't ever to seem to have manuals in stock. I doubt they see them often and the service department isn't familiar with them (let alone drive one)... I'm not sure they could diagnose one or tell what's normal. They will try to void warranty work as much as possible and/or just throw parts at it.
Sponsored