Issues: stereo problems and can't get into 4 wheel drive

Jayden_norton

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2 door Jeep Wrangler
I just bought a 2019 wrangler sport utility 2 door and when I have my phone plugged in the stereo will shut off and restart.
Also I can’t get it to go into 4 wheel drive. I put it in neutral and try to move the stick and it won’t move. I don’t want to force it and break it. Anyone else have these problems??
Sponsored

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
What transmission do you have? Since it is a 2019 I assume it is used. If the 4wd hasn't been used much it can be difficult the first few times. Read the owners manual on how to do it. To go into 4H you can do that while moving. To go into 4L you need to be going 2 - 3 mph, shift it to neutral then go from 4H to neutral to 4L. Same to go back to 2wd.
Do you have the 5" , 7" or 8 .4" radio? There have been software uldates do you know if those were done? Check with the dealer to see.
Is it still under warranty? If so take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

OP
OP

Jayden_norton

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What transmission do you have? Since it is a 2019 I assume it is used. If the 4wd hasn't been used much it can be difficult the first few times. Read the owners manual on how to do it. To go into 4H you can do that while moving. To go into 4L you need to be going 2 - 3 mph, shift it to neutral then go from 4H to neutral to 4L. Same to go back to 2wd.
Do you have the 5" , 7" or 8 .4" radio? There have been software uldates do you know if those were done? Check with the dealer to see.
Is it still under warranty? If so take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.
I have the V6 automatic transmission. I will have to try to switch in to 4H while moving and see if that works. I have the 5” screen. I just bought it today so I’m going to take it back because I do have the warranty on it. Just sad that not everything was working. Thanks for the help!!

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I have the V6 automatic transmission. I will have to try to switch in to 4H while moving and see if that works. I have the 5” screen. I just bought it today so I’m going to take it back because I do have the warranty on it. Just sad that not everything was working. Thanks for the help!!
You’re not alone Jayden, in July I’ll have had my Jeep a year. What a pain it WAS getting it into 4WD. I did it the way the owners manual suggested (letting it roll slightly in gear). I thought a couple of times I was going to break the shifter cable.
Here’s how I corrected the problem. I only use the Jeep on weekends. When the wife and I go food shopping she always asks to stop at the local deli so she can get coffee. While she’s in the store I put it in gear, roll a few mph and shift to 4H. Drive about 10 feet, roll slow (in gear) shift to 4L and drive another 10 feet, stop, roll slow shift back to 2wd.
It shifts waaayy better now. My goal is to wear that linkage in so much that my 4WD shifter is as smooth as my main shifter.

OP
OP

Jayden_norton

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You’re not alone Jayden, in July I’ll have had my Jeep a year. What a pain it WAS getting it into 4WD. I did it the way the owners manual suggested (letting it roll slightly in gear). I thought a couple of times I was going to break the shifter cable.
Here’s how I corrected the problem. I only use the Jeep on weekends. When the wife and I go food shopping she always asks to stop at the local deli so she can get coffee. While she’s in the store I put it in gear, roll a few mph and shift to 4H. Drive about 10 feet, roll slow (in gear) shift to 4L and drive another 10 feet, stop, roll slow shift back to 2wd.
It shifts waaayy better now. My goal is to wear that linkage in so much that my 4WD shifter is as smooth as my main shifter.
Thank you so much! I’m definitely going to practice doing this more often!!

Sponsored

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
my jeep was stiff going into 4wd for the first 3 or 4 times i did it just make a note and every few days shift it to 4H and 4L while pulling out of the drive way. now for the radio take it in my 2018 had the same problem and they changed mine out took a week to get the new radio from the factory. just make sure before you leave that they call sirius xm and have that turned back on. and i hope you end up with like what i did its been 2 years and i still have my free sirius xm.

OP
OP

Jayden_norton

First Name
Jayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my jeep was stiff going into 4wd for the first 3 or 4 times i did it just make a note and every few days shift it to 4H and 4L while pulling out of the drive way. now for the radio take it in my 2018 had the same problem and they changed mine out took a week to get the new radio from the factory. just make sure before you leave that they call sirius xm and have that turned back on. and i hope you end up with like what i did its been 2 years and i still have my free sirius xm.
Oh good! I’m glad mines not the only one. Did the factory warranty cover the stereo??

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

I had issues the firs ew times as well. I roll down an unassuaged back road and shift into 4H on the fly and 4LO crawling. I also liberally used 4H during the winter. You can shift into 4H up to 75kph on appropriate surfaces/traction.

Once a week I’ll reverse into my work parking spot (gravel lot) in 4H and run the back tires up on the curb. When the exit gate is broken, it goes into 4H and I climb the barricades.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I too found it hard to switch to 4WD . . . . . and then I read the manual
The manual states that you have to be driving forward at a very small speed and then I found switching to 4WD is very easy.

INCRHULK

First Name
Lance
Threads
Reaction score
Website
litwphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Program Manager, Information Technology
Clubs

The manual states that you have to be driving forward at a very small speed and then I found switching to 4WD is very easy.
Only switching to 4LO do you need to be rolling.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I just bought a 2019 wrangler sport utility 2 door and when I have my phone plugged in the stereo will shut off and restart.
Also I can’t get it to go into 4 wheel drive. I put it in neutral and try to move the stick and it won’t move. I don’t want to force it and break it. Anyone else have these problems??
Others have fixed the same stereo problem by pushing in the loose fuses. Only takes a few minutes to pop open the fuse box under the hood near battery which is on the passenger side and press down on all of the fuses and relays. If that doesn’t work try a different phone cable. Last resort bring it to the dealer.

Gropax

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S Mojito Green
Oh good! I’m glad mines not the only one. Did the factory warranty cover the stereo??
yes it was covered under the standard warranty just take it in and they will order you a new one. took them like 2 hours to replace it no idea why so long but it works fine now after 2 years.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Yea Joe you read the manual....but you didn’t read the post. I stated that I read the manual and I stated that I was moving forward slowly. It was still very tough in the beginning. Every Jeep is different. Maybe some take a little longer to break in.
Sponsored