YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone run into issues trying to install these? I ordered them from BAM wholesale.

Got the driver's side on no problem, went to install the passenger side, and the arm that hooks up and under the body almost seems as if it is bent toward the rail too much, causing me to not be able to lift the rail high enough to get the studs into the holes on the body.

This seems to be just for the rear attachment point. The middle and front seem ok. I feel like if the tab (circled in red) could just be bent down/back a bit, I could get it to fit, but obviously these things are designed to not be able to bend. I feel like it's not damage from shipping, since the powder coating is in perfect shape.

I reached out to BAM and am waiting to hear back, just really not looking forward to trying to repack and ship these things to return.

Jeep Wrangler JL Issue installing Mopar Performance Rock Rails IMG_0376
Sponsored

BCMgunner

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 on 37” KO2s
Interested in ordering the same part. Sorry I’m of no help but will follow along this thread. All I can think of is taking it to a shop where they’d have more equipment to bend it back so it will work. Hope you can get this to work soon!

GonnaGetLost

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC 1500, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Auto Mfg Equipment Engineer
Sorry I don’t have any pics, but I installed 2 weeks ago and ran into (2) issues. And I also ordered from BAM.

1st was similar to yours, but was on driver side. Middle bracket at floor mount was bent up, caused “rocking” between front & rear bracket. I attached short pice of 2x4 to middle bracket (on floor side), flipped rail upside down on long 2x4 and used large rubber mallet to bend bracket slighty (hitting on flat portion of bracket that extends out to the floor mount). Using the 2x4s this helped protect the paint/coating from getting scratched/damaged. (Use caution if you choose to attempt...)

2nd issues was I had to “slot” middle & rear floor mount holes on left side. I was unable to engage bolts. Seems quality control is lacking yet again..:headbang:.

I figured easier to mod and make fit vs return and risk same issue w/ 2nd set.

edit.... slotted holes were on passenger side, not left..

Last edited:
OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I don’t have any pics, but I installed 2 weeks ago and ran into (2) issues. And I also ordered from BAM.

1st was similar to yours, but was on driver side. Middle bracket at floor mount was bent up, caused “rocking” between front & rear bracket. I attached short pice of 2x4 to middle bracket (on floor side), flipped rail upside down on long 2x4 and used large rubber mallet to bend bracket slighty (hitting on flat portion of bracket that extends out to the floor mount). Using the 2x4s this helped protect the paint/coating from getting scratched/damaged. (Use caution if you choose to attempt...)

2nd issues was I had to “slot” middle & rear floor mount holes on left side. I was unable to engage bolts. Seems quality control is lacking yet again..:headbang:.

I figured easier to mod and make fit vs return and risk same issue w/ 2nd set.
funny you mention the 2x4 approach. I’m actually staring at them right now with similar thoughts in my head. Good to know you were eventually able to get it to bend and it sounds like you were able to do so with little to no damage to the powder coating.

the bolts were a very right fit on the driver side, but I think I was able to get them in there without cross threading or stripping anything....

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Rubber mallet trick worked. I was able to bend back the brackets so the studs will now line up with the mounting holes in the body.

now I’m facing the issue where 2 of the holes on the brackets don’t line up with the threaded holes under the floor, so I’ll have to slot them like @GonnaGetLost mentioned.

Bottom line, maybe don’t order these from BAM. Maybe they just get defective parts. Also, definitely don’t get these for any serious protection. I guess that’s obvious because they’re body mount, but just figured I’d mention it.

Sponsored

GonnaGetLost

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GMC 1500, 2021 JLUR
Occupation
Auto Mfg Equipment Engineer
Bottom line, maybe don’t order these from BAM. Maybe they just get defective parts. Also, definitely don’t get these for any serious protection. I guess that’s obvious because they’re body mount, but just figured I’d mention it.
Glad it worked out for you. I agree that maybe they are suspect on accuracy, but for me the cost savings was worth the small “tweak”.

Also agree that they are questionable if serious protection is desired. Maybe ok once mounted to Jeep. For now they serve my main purpose with daily driving protection and probably light duty off road use.

I’m not convinced that some of the “frame mount” rails are any better. I really wanted a set of the Body mounted Roams, but looks they are really no longer making them... “out of stock”..

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Glad it worked out for you. I agree that maybe they are suspect on accuracy, but for me the cost savings was worth the small “tweak”.

Also agree that they are questionable if serious protection is desired. Maybe ok once mounted to Jeep. For now they serve my main purpose with daily driving protection and probably light duty off road use.

I’m not convinced that some of the “frame mount” rails are any better. I really wanted a set of the Body mounted Roams, but looks they are really no longer making them... “out of stock”..
totally agree (now that I got them to work). $725 with free shipping couldn’t be beat. And they’re perfect for my needs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
YippieKiYayMrFalcon

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks sir.. I am tossed between these and the ACE Rock Rails... decisions decisions...
If you need actual protection, I would go with the Ace rails. I don’t really do much off-roading and just wanted to hide the pinch seam, but my girlfriend wanted a step. I didn’t want the plastic Sahara steps, so the Mopar ones were my compromise. Plus, I just like the look of them.

Vinny2002

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2020
Thx... I am probably going the same way.. I will never "rock slide".. so a nice little step is what I need plus a tade of spray protection.

johnbyron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sport S
I also ordered from BAM; the larger tab on the passenger-side rail was bent the same way people reported above and one of the screws wouldn't line up. I didn't want to hammer them as I was afraid of breaking them, so I tried turning the nuts on the bolts that were barely sticking out of the holes and one bolt snapped off immediately!
I am wondering if they are able to sell it at a lower price because they get defective parts, given that multiple people reported the same issue. I reached out to them, hopefully they will be able to help me out because shipping them back would be a huge pain. I will let you know how it goes.

20210213_165012.jpg

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Thx... I am probably going the same way.. I will never "rock slide".. so a nice little step is what I need plus a tade of spray protection.
Take a close look at the ACEs. I think they provide more of a step than the Mopar's. They also provide better door ding protection.
Sponsored