Sponsored

Something similar to the Mopar’s Performance Rock Rails?

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I currently using my wife’s Runningboards that came pre-installed on her Sahara altitude pretty much every time I get into the Jeep. I actually find them quite useful even though I don’t like the way they look. I’m trying to find something to be used with my new 392.

I like the OEM look of mopar’s performance rock rails. I’m not finding anything quite the same. I may just end up purchasing these but they seem ridiculously overpriced. Basically, I want something that will work as a rock slider but also function as a step. The emphasis more on the step and the slider being secondary. I have looked at quite a bit, but I’m still not finding exactly what I want. Here are the runner ups below let me know if you have any suggestions.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I currently using my wife’s Runningboards that came pre-installed on her Sahara altitude pretty much every time I get into the Jeep. I actually find them quite useful even though I don’t like the way they look. I’m trying to find something to be used with my new 392.

I like the OEM look of mopar’s performance rock rails. I’m not finding anything quite the same. I may just end up purchasing these but they seem ridiculously overpriced. Basically, I want something that will work as a rock slider but also function as a step. The emphasis more on the step and the slider being secondary. I have looked at quite a bit, but I’m still not finding exactly what I want. Here are the runner ups below let me know if you have any suggestions.

Just FYI. I hit my sliders constantly. It is an item thats constantly taking hits unless youll just be doing fire roads. Out of those 3 options I vote for DV8. Have you looked into LOD? I am biased towards frame mounted.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x

I went with the Mopars because I don’t like tubes, they look clean, not gaudy but the “step “is small

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

Let me know if you find a similar set. I had Roam frame mounted, LOD destroyers, and the MOPAR Performance ones on my list. Since Roam appears to be out, and the mopars are so expensive I was leaning LOD. I still look for takeoff Mopar performance ones but they are not out there anymore.

I like roam as I have had 2 sets that held up to my abuse, and made actual good steps. I see mixed reviews on LOD as far as sliders, and the Mopar ones are not ideal steps or sliders.

As of now im leaning LOD, but if you find a good alternative im open to others as well. (all 3 will work great to keep rock chips on the fenders down)

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Just FYI. I hit my sliders constantly. It is an item thats constantly taking hits unless youll just be doing fire roads. Out of those 3 options I vote for DV8. Have you looked into LOD? I am biased towards frame mounted.
I have. I’ve gone back-and-forth with the lite version but I’m not sure I like the look. I’ve already took a chunk out of my wife’s plastic stock running boards

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
I went with the Mopars because I don’t like tubes, they look clean, not gaudy but the “step “is small
This is what I’ve heard as well the stuff is quite small. It’s not necessarily a bad thing but since I find myself using the runningboards I know I’ll need something.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Let me know if you find a similar set. I had Roam frame mounted, LOD destroyers, and the MOPAR Performance ones on my list. Since Roam appears to be out, and the mopars are so expensive I was leaning LOD. I still look for takeoff Mopar performance ones but they are not out there anymore.

I like roam as I have had 2 sets that held up to my abuse, and made actual good steps. I see mixed reviews on LOD as far as sliders, and the Mopar ones are not ideal steps or sliders.

As of now im leaning LOD, but if you find a good alternative im open to others as well. (all 3 will work great to keep rock chips on the fenders down)
Yes sir! I will keep you in the loop. I kind of have the same dilemma. A lot of these aftermarket parts to me look cheesy. I know modifications are purely subjective, but many of the step sliders look awful.

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Ditto on this. I really like them but I have never used them as a step. They are narrow and not much lower than the door. If you can find them on a lot somewhere (don’t they come on the Willys?), check them out before ordering if the step part is important to you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Ditto on this. I really like them but I have never used them as a step. They are narrow and not much lower than the door. If you can find them on a lot somewhere (don’t they come on the Willys?), check them out before ordering if the step part is important to you.
Good looking out. I like the DV8s I posted but can’t seem to confirm if a gap exists between it and the body.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
the gap is a good thing for frame mounted sliders Theres probably a gap
Got it. Didn’t know the DV8s were frame mounted.

I’m a little scared to push the 392 on the tough trails due to its price but life is short. I’m just wondering how I will know which trails have the greatest chance of body damage, which I don’t want to happen.

I have been on a just few minor technical trails with the Sahara and bottom out heavy, but luckily avoided body damaged. Scratched the plastic bumper in the rear and the runningboards though.

Nothing a good wash doesn’t fix!

06AA0324-2B99-419E-A169-324954EB96E2.jpeg

2AD87EC9-E919-4C12-BE3B-84D5EF9064A2.jpeg

FA47BD75-AC3C-4985-ADA2-85B78C8431EB.jpeg

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Got it. Didn’t know the DV8s were frame mounted.

I’m a little scared to push the 392 on the tough trails due to its price but life is short. I’m just wondering how I will know which trails have the greatest chance of body damage, which I don’t want to happen.

I have been on a just few minor technical trails with the Sahara and bottom out heavy, but luckily avoided body damaged. Scratched the plastic bumper in the rear and the runningboards though.

Nothing a good wash doesn’t fix!

06AA0324-2B99-419E-A169-324954EB96E2.jpeg

2AD87EC9-E919-4C12-BE3B-84D5EF9064A2.jpeg

FA47BD75-AC3C-4985-ADA2-85B78C8431EB.jpeg
I think the DV8 are frame mounted I am 95% sure, but you should double check that!.

Thats nothing for that Jeep. I dont see any wheel trail rash or any dings so still getting there!. You know we could take that 392 sometime next year to big bear if you want so you can feel a little more confident. It is worth it man.

This is the way I see it. You are careful, you pick a good line, have a good spotter and hope for the best. Body damage will happen eventually. But most likely it would be minor unless you push to very hard stuff and pick a bad line. As long as you are careful and take it easy on the skinny pedal, the worst that can happen is a ding on rocker panels, a scratch here and there. Stuff that can be fixed. You dont have to trash your Jeep and still do black diamond trails.

The way I see it. If I need to fix some body damage for 1k, it is worth it. If something really bad happens like a crack hardtop or damaged door beyond repair, Id get the insurance involved.

You just need to go out with a good spotter and build some confidence to lose the fear.

Bottoming out is not the end of the world, your spotter can check and make sure it is all good before you proceed, because the vast majority of the time it is the skid plates.

I drag on my skid plates every single time I go out. And I am driving a 2 door Jeep. Bottoming out a 4 door on 32s is really easy

ReimundKrohn

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Islander Sting Grey
Want a Rock Slider that is also a step? AMP Research Power Steps are what I would recommend. They drop when you need to step in, and otherwise run retracted to protect your Wrangler on the trails.

Sponsored