First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Same here. They do seem to tie everything into a nice tidy package inside the vehicle. I am really pleased with the quality, and also the ease of install. BTW, I know Mark shows that you should separate the velcro placed on the back of the side panels, place the back half of the velcro onto the the sides of the top, then slip the panel into place. I decided to be a renegade, and not separate the velcro, just pull the strip off the sticky stuff, then install the panels. It worked just fine, and I didn't have to worry if I misaligned the back half of the velcro strips. Oh, and don't forget to clean around the windows real good with Acetone before you install the HotHead panels.
Hi,
the problem with applying the window panels in that way is that the Velcro doesn't really get stuck to the hard top good. If you put the Velcro pieces off and apply the first that get full adhesion and if the alignment is off by 50% the window panels will still stay in place. It doesn't take much to hold them in place.
If you have issue with that Velcro just send me an email and we will get you some new stuff.
regards,
Mark
Sponsored

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
the problem with applying the window panels in that way is that the Velcro doesn't really get stuck to the hard top good. If you put the Velcro pieces off and apply the first that get full adhesion and if the alignment is off by 50% the window panels will still stay in place. It doesn't take much to hold them in place.
If you have issue with that Velcro just send me an email and we will get you some new stuff.
regards,
Mark

I understand Mark. I'll check it out.

Moonlight_Ken

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL WRANGER UNLIMITED
Just installed on my new JL this weekend... super easy and love the new look. Made a difference in road noise. The only negative I found was that my SiriusXM drops out a lot more than before. We live in an area with lots of trees so we know we get some... but I am now seeing lots more since applying the Hothead's.

Anyone else with this issue?

Monday Edit - Just talked to Hothead Headliners and we figured out the problem. I got their kit with the sound assassin strips. They foil backed. When I put them up I did a bit of "extra" work and applied them above the roll/sound bar. In doing so I blocked the SiriusXM antenna! With their assistance I will now remove that panel and remove the Sound Assassin strip in the section over the the antenna.

A note to everyone ... don't get carried away with that stuff!

Ken

Last edited:

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Could some tell me what is the prep for sound assassin strips? Do you have to sandpaper first for them as well or just acetone or ?

seriously considering these, but the sandpaper dust mess has me a little concerned.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Could some tell me what is the prep for sound assassin strips? Do you have to sandpaper first for them as well or just acetone or ?

seriously considering these, but the sandpaper dust mess has me a little concerned.
You don’t need to sand for the sound assassin strips, cleaning with acetone wouldn’t hurt, though.

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
You don’t need to sand for the sound assassin strips, cleaning with acetone wouldn’t hurt, though.
thanks for the reply on this. I found some videos on hotheads for their previous product to sound assassin and it was not showing sanding either.

I went ahead and ordered a full set of everything. Seems like it provides a lot of potential value (less noise, insulation, better stereo sound). Looks like a way better product than the ugly, overpriced rugs mopar sells as headliners.

OP
OP
Hothead Headliners

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Exactly right. You do not need to scuff for the Sound Assassin strips go.

OP
OP
Hothead Headliners

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ

Hi,
Here is a quick video that shows how to clean the mess from the scuffing process. If anyone has any other question please let us know.
regards,
Mark

RangerRobAZ

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Count me as one extremely satisfied customer. I got headliners for a 4dr w/side windows and sound assassin. First, I ordered late on Thursday night and I got a shipping notice/tracking number early the next day. Crazy fast!

The product is packaged very well and easily to figure out where everything is. The instructions are well written with lots of pictures. The videos on the web page are also very helpful. The product itself is better in person than pictures to me. Way lighter than I thought it would be. I love that it has a hard backing, really makes install and handling easy. The material looks and feels like a real headliner, not a cheap floor mat (mopar).

Noise from driving down the road is definitely improved. Before I had the constant wind noise rushing along the top. That is now gone. The sound inside feels much more 'muted' now. My friend has a similar Jeep and we drove in both after installing my headliner to compare the difference.

Biggest surprise is the improvement in the audio quality of the stereo. I have a 2020 JLUR with the default stereo. It sounded ok before, but at least to me now it sounds really quite good. I feel like I got a premium stereo upgrade. The mids and lows are all much more full and the whole sound experience is less tinny. I was listening to music much more than usual, just amazed at how much better it all sounds. Some caveats with my comments... I am no audiophile. I think Apple AirPods sound good. I also spent $500 on this headliner and hours of time so I am biased that I want to believe that I didn't waste my money! :)

I also love that this product is designed and made here. So cool to support smaller companies like this!

The only problem I had was with the extremely bad fumes from the product. I would highly recommend anyone buying this plan to leave the items airing out for at least a few days first. I hope the smell dissipates sooner rather than later for me, as my vehicle is unpleasant for me to be in right now.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hothead Headliners

Hothead Headliners

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark Ambrose
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotheadheadliners.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 1989 YJ
Count me as one extremely satisfied customer. I got headliners for a 4dr w/side windows and sound assassin. First, I ordered late on Thursday night and I got a shipping notice/tracking number early the next day. Crazy fast!

The product is packaged very well and easily to figure out where everything is. The instructions are well written with lots of pictures. The videos on the web page are also very helpful. The product itself is better in person than pictures to me. Way lighter than I thought it would be. I love that it has a hard backing, really makes install and handling easy. The material looks and feels like a real headliner, not a cheap floor mat (mopar).

Noise from driving down the road is definitely improved. Before I had the constant wind noise rushing along the top. That is now gone. The sound inside feels much more 'muted' now. My friend has a similar Jeep and we drove in both after installing my headliner to compare the difference.

Biggest surprise is the improvement in the audio quality of the stereo. I have a 2020 JLUR with the default stereo. It sounded ok before, but at least to me now it sounds really quite good. I feel like I got a premium stereo upgrade. The mids and lows are all much more full and the whole sound experience is less tinny. I was listening to music much more than usual, just amazed at how much better it all sounds. Some caveats with my comments... I am no audiophile. I think Apple AirPods sound good. I also spent $500 on this headliner and hours of time so I am biased that I want to believe that I didn't waste my money! :)

I also love that this product is designed and made here. So cool to support smaller companies like this!

The only problem I had was with the extremely bad fumes from the product. I would highly recommend anyone buying this plan to leave the items airing out for at least a few days first. I hope the smell dissipates sooner rather than later for me, as my vehicle is unpleasant for me to be in right now.
Hi,
I am very sorry for anyone running in to the smell of glue issue. We are working on a better/longer drying process. In the mean time it is a good idea to let your panels air out for a while depending on your level of sensitivity. The warmer it is the faster the smell will dissipate.

regards,
mark
Hothead Headliners

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I just got my Headliners in a couple of days ago, I got them out of the package and am letting them air out a little. I will show the finished product after install.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
As promised, here are the pictures and review.
There is a before and after in the cabin. Then there is a side panel view and a Freedom Panel view. As with others, I can't get past the smell on the glue. I suppose it will dissipate in a few days, but I left them out of the package for a day before I installed them. Thought that would be enough time. I could feel after installation, how they help with holding in the heat, and assume it would work just as well with the A/C. The sound difference was amazing. They really help with the road noise, and as far as the stereo system, well it did sound better, but I have the Premium Audio, so it sounded great in the first place. Overall, I am pleased with the results, just the smell......

Jeep Hothead1.jpg

Jeep Hothead4.jpg

Jeep Hothead3.jpg

Jeep Hothead2.jpg

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Overall, I am pleased with the results, just the smell......
You aren't kidding! Just installed mine over the weekend and the smell has been a challenge. Unfortunately I did not have the room to air out beforehand, though since the garage is attached to the house my wife might've kicked me out had I gone that route. The odor has already dissipated to a great extent... another few days should do it.

I was needlessly worried about the sanding mess. Just covered the cargo area with old towels and then did a quick clean up afterwards. The installation went far easier and faster than I thought. Heck, I was happy it came with a piece of sandpaper since I just got rid of all mine in preparation for a move (thanks for that thoughtful touch!)

REALLY happy with the results. It looks, sounds, and feels better in every respect. HIGHLY recommended!!!
Sponsored