Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Hey Jeep community,

One of my pipe dreams with my new rig is to one day get into overlanding. The concept of setting off into the wild, off-roading to remote camping locations, and enjoying the outdoors in my Jeep is very attractive. Anyone out there have any great references for first timers looking to get into the lifestyle? Also are there US maps showing areas where overlanding is idea. I’m guessing I would need to leave the Midwest and head out west to really get off the grid. Appreciate any advice you can provide.
Sponsored

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
Look at expeditionportal.com, lots of good info.

tonythehomie

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Sport S (manual / 2 door / firecracker red)
Hey there. Ordered my JL two weeks ago and I’m in a similar boat. Following along.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
Been living that lifestyle for two decades. My advice is Four Corners. Take a map and loose yourself in about a 100 hundred mile radius of that location mostly in Utah. Your JL will take you many places, but the best places are beyond the end of the road. Your Jeep is only a tool for your dream. Skip Moab, be sure to hit Blanding, Bluff, Escalante, Green River, Capital Reef NP, ... We spent 4-6 weeks a year doing that before we retired. Now, it is a couple months a year. Be prepared to hike to places you can't imagine.

Sponsored

jeffrey4x4

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLSTC
Hey Jeep community,

One of my pipe dreams with my new rig is to one day get into overlanding. The concept of setting off into the wild, off-roading to remote camping locations, and enjoying the outdoors in my Jeep is very attractive. Anyone out there have any great references for first timers looking to get into the lifestyle? Also are there US maps showing areas where overlanding is idea. I’m guessing I would need to leave the Midwest and head out west to really get off the grid. Appreciate any advice you can provide.
Same with me. Heading to Overland Expo East next week to start getting some knowledge.
A tiny bit of national forest camping in the south east this year has given me the bug!

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Hey Jeep community,

Start easy, and head to either colorado or Moab. Buy Charles Wells books and enjoy. Stick to the easy stuff until you gain a little more experience.

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I can understand the concept of overlanding if living in Australia or Africa. Is it really feasible in the US with fences and interstate highways everywhere? Seems like something that sounds like fun and is fun to buy equipment for, but is not really a practical endeavor.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Been living that lifestyle for two decades. My advice is Four Corners. Take a map and loose yourself in about a 100 hundred mile radius of that location mostly in Utah. Your JL will take you many places, but the best places are beyond the end of the road. Your Jeep is only a tool for your dream. Skip Moab, be sure to hit Blanding, Bluff, Escalante, Green River, Capital Reef NP, ... We spent 4-6 weeks a year doing that before we retired. Now, it is a couple months a year. Be prepared to hike to places you can't imagine.
Escalante is incredible. Lake Powel and onward North. A vast area.
Four Corners as you stated, all directions ( Roswell area too) !! :) A lifetime of exploration from West Texas across New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado Utah, Nevada.........

Never forget Alaska if you have the time to get there and back, Trutch Mountain, Destruction Bay, up through the Yukon

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I just retired. The wife will retire in three years. The 2019 JLUR is ordered. We will off road from Arizona to Alaska. After that we may look at doing South America.

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I can understand the concept of overlanding if living in Australia or Africa. Is it really feasible in the US with fences and interstate highways everywhere? Seems like something that sounds like fun and is fun to buy equipment for, but is not really a practical endeavor.
Check out the backroads discovery routes. They are mapping out how to cross every state entirely back roads. The US is epic with so many thousands of miles of backroads.
Sponsored