Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so we all know you don't put anything wet inside the exhaust pipe. A lot of carbon does get accumulated in there.

So keep it clean or just let the carbon collect?

If kept clean what tool to use?

I have been looking but to no avail.

Anyone got any ideas? would love to hear from you.

Images and personal tales are sure appreciated.

As a reference i have this on the jeep right now and it sounds great,

just want to maintain it in the best possible way.

RedRock 4x4 High Clearance Cat-Back Exhaust.

Jeep Wrangler JL Inside the Exhaust Pipe Cleaning Tool ? J123297-JL
Sponsored

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I don't understand why you think you'd need to clean out the exhaust pipe. These aren't super hi-performance race cars, where the exhaust system is changed/tuned depending on track, weather, etc. The exhaust pipe diameter (2.5") is definitely large enough to allow for sufficient flow with 1 mm of carbon/soot buildup.

Don't worry about the buildup in your exhaust pipe (should be minimal anyways if everything's operating normally) and enjoy your Jeep. It's one less thing to worry about.

OP
OP
Aesikidesi

Aesikidesi

First Name
Rubin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLUA / RUFICON
Occupation
Data Analyst / IT Data Recovery
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I don't understand why you think you'd need to clean out the exhaust pipe. These aren't super hi-performance race cars, where the exhaust system is changed/tuned depending on track, weather, etc. The exhaust pipe diameter (2.5") is definitely large enough to allow for sufficient flow with 1 mm of carbon/soot buildup.

Don't worry about the buildup in your exhaust pipe (should be minimal anyways if everything's operating normally) and enjoy your Jeep. It's one less thing to worry about.
Sounds Good to me.

Sponsored

MEHillwalker80

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S JL 2 DR 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500
Why not? My Honda Foreman ATV has a small plate that Honda recommends to be removed periodically to let you blow accumulated carbon out of the muffler. I always change my tire air from summer to winter religiously. I do this when I sharpen my wiper blades in preparation for winter.

Sorry, I need to go watch some more Borat.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
Best way is to get into your Jeep, put on your seat belt, pull out of your driveway, drive out into the most desolate area you can find, then press on the accelerator pedal (on the right), hold it down until your Tach just falls short of the redline, Hold it, Hoold it,,,,,HOOOOLd it. Now slow to a stop when the flashing lights in the rear view mirror get close. Explain to the red faced man why you were doing what you were doing. He just might let you go.....

Sponsored

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
Cutting open, hand scraping the soot and then rewelding. It's how the pros do it and the only way to be thorough enough to avoid failure on a tough trail. I'm doing mine this weekend if I can find a good can opener.

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m a little confused here. I assumed you had a bit of soot developing on the tip of your exhaust, and was going to suggest just using a rag or a wheel brush to clean the last 6” and call it good. However the exhaust you posted looks like it dumps just past the rear axle and isn’t visible. If you’re concerned about unseen carbon deposits in your exhaust you’ve got nothing to worry about. The open tube isn’t the restriction in the system. You’ve got much more restriction in the cat than you’ll ever accumulate in the open tube. Don’t worry about it and enjoy your rig. If you are in fact worried about the black soot that develops at the end of the pipe it wipes off easily with a wet rag and mild soap.

DWaX

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Perhaps you can contact this manufacturer and see if they have a 137" inch model for your jeep.

Jeep Wrangler JL Inside the Exhaust Pipe Cleaning Tool ? SmartSelect_20221109_223046_Chrome

WaX
Sponsored