I may have fixed my wandering issue?

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I had an alignment performed last week. Castor was 6.2 which is right about where I wanted it, total toe was 18* which is right about perfect. Took the Jeep out for 140 mile drive and was fighting wandering worse than I ever have, felt like a constant fight to keep it straight. I had never experienced it that bad before. Keep in mind my entire suspension is new with Synergy track bars front and rear, and Synergy drag link and tie rod. I was ready to replace the ball joints despite only having 22k miles on them, the ball joints pass all the "tests" on the Jeep. Also there is zero play in my steering gear. No dead spots at all.

Fast forward to today. I decided to check the torque on the pinch clamps to make sure the alignment tech tightened them down correctly. I noticed on the drag link the tie rod ends were not parrallel with each other. One was about 45* off from the other end. I loosened the clamp and made them parrallel. Took the Jeep out on the road and freeway and it is the tightest and straightest it has ever been. I actually took my hands off the wheel for about a 1/4 mile and it went down the road perfectly straight. I can't believe it. Did this simple adjustment actually make this big of a difference?
Sponsored

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
I had an alignment performed last week. Castor was 6.2 which is right about where I wanted it, total toe was 18* which is right about perfect. Took the Jeep out for 140 mile drive and was fighting wandering worse than I ever have, felt like a constant fight to keep it straight. I had never experienced it that bad before. Keep in mind my entire suspension is new with Synergy track bars front and rear, and Synergy drag link and tie rod. I was ready to replace the ball joints despite only having 22k miles on them, the ball joints pass all the "tests" on the Jeep. Also there is zero play in my steering gear. No dead spots at all.

Fast forward to today. I decided to check the torque on the pinch clamps to make sure the alignment tech tightened them down correctly. I noticed on the drag link the tie rod ends were not parrallel with each other. One was about 45* off from the other end. I loosened the clamp and made them parrallel. Took the Jeep out on the road and freeway and it is the tightest and straightest it has ever been. I actually took my hands off the wheel for about a 1/4 mile and it went down the road perfectly straight. I can't believe it. Did this simple adjustment actually make this big of a difference?
Im trying to get a mental picture of this .. Im guessing that the alignment was so off that u could visually see it?

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Im trying to get a mental picture of this .. Im guessing that the alignment was so off that u could visually see it?
[/QUOT
Basically each end of the drag link (i call them tie rod ends, not sure if that is the correct term, the ball joint looking thing) needs to be oriented in the same direction to allow for full rotation and articulation. Mine was about 45* off where it connects to the knuckle which could cause binding type of issues as it hits the knuckle under certain circumstances. I really thought this was in my head, but I am telling you the thing tracks straight as an arrow on my test drive. I still can't believe it.

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Basically each end of the drag link (i call them tie rod ends, not sure if that is the correct term, the ball joint looking thing) needs to be oriented in the same direction to allow for full rotation and articulation. Mine was about 45* off where it connects to the knuckle which could cause binding type of issues as it hits the knuckle under certain circumstances. I really thought this was in my head, but I am telling you the thing tracks straight as an arrow on my test drive. I still can't believe it.
Interesting..
Sponsored