Sponsored

Will the 1/4" longer LCAs really improve the wandering issue?

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I've read the posts about the wandering and loose steering issues, mainly because my new to me 2018 JLUR has both of these problems. I have 35" tires on the stock Rubicon suspension, no lift. I'm all for putting the longer Mopar LCAs on but wanting to make sure that 1/4" extra length and a small gain in caster is going to make a noticeable difference. I love my new Jeep but highway driving is a big buzz kill, which I now try to avoid.

My wife drove it for the first time this week and the first thing she said after a couple of minutes of in-town driving was "this thing is all over the road", Up to that point, I had not even mentioned anything to her about the steering issues because I didn't want her to know I was disappointed in the vehicle I initially absolutely loved.

I know there is talk about a possible recall to replace the steering box, the aftermarket steering stabilizers get mixed reviews as far as if they help or not, and now the LCA swap seems to be talked about a lot as a possible aid to the steering woes. I'm reluctant to adjust the steering box backlash, as the dealership can tell if that Loctite seal has been broken, possibly voiding the warranty.

Is there any fix out there that objectively improves the issues, or is it truly just hit and miss as far as what helps, and everyone has their own opinions? Thanks in advance for any input you all may have!
Sponsored

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Hi,

Heres a list of the updated suspension parts, my Sahara drives fine with this albeit a little pull to the right...

68258760AD Updated Drag Link

68394087AA Updated Track Bar

68251580AE Updated Steering Damper

My Jeep is a May 19 build and have no wandering at 30 psi.

Check if you have the latest parts and set tire pressure the same.

Brosef

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 392
Adjustable arms are what you need. Your issue is probably insufficient caster angle. You might be able to get away with just the adjustable upper arms up front to dial it in. My alignment was for 5.5 degrees of caster (stock Rubicon was around 4).

Even with a lift and 37ā€™s, my Jeep tracks much straighter than stock.

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
Have you taken it to the dealer to have them check it?
Do you still have the stock tires?did it start after you put the tires on?

Sponsored

James Cole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
You need to check the part numbers I sent you... if you donĀ“t have them first step is to ask you dealer to update them.

The wandering issue is not a single part fix.

Once you have all the updated components, check your caster, if you are at 4-5 degrees you should aim at 5.5-6 degrees to get the best driving out of the steering.

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Adjustable arms are what you need. Your issue is probably insufficient caster angle. You might be able to get away with just the adjustable upper arms up front to dial it in. My alignment was for 5.5 degrees of caster (stock Rubicon was around 4).

Even with a lift and 37ā€™s, my Jeep tracks much straighter than stock.
I agree with Brosef 100% in my case. I have a 2018 JLU Rubicon..It wandered all over the freeway stock and was the same with lift and 37ā€™s. Mine came from the factory with low caster-near 4 degrees I took it to two different dealerships-no help/clueless. Put some Rough Country front lower adjustable control arms on and got caster slightly over 6 degrees. It drive straight as an arrow and steering is much tighter. DAY & NIGHT difference.

8BEFC073-FD2C-45EA-9021-ED9C1AA27828.jpeg

Krawler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
I've read the posts about the wandering and loose steering issues, mainly because my new to me 2018 JLUR has both of these problems. I have 35" tires on the stock Rubicon suspension, no lift. I'm all for putting the longer Mopar LCAs on but wanting to make sure that 1/4" extra length and a small gain in caster is going to make a noticeable difference. I love my new Jeep but highway driving is a big buzz kill, which I now try to avoid.

My wife drove it for the first time this week and the first thing she said after a couple of minutes of in-town driving was "this thing is all over the road", Up to that point, I had not even mentioned anything to her about the steering issues because I didn't want her to know I was disappointed in the vehicle I initially absolutely loved.

I know there is talk about a possible recall to replace the steering box, the aftermarket steering stabilizers get mixed reviews as far as if they help or not, and now the LCA swap seems to be talked about a lot as a possible aid to the steering woes. I'm reluctant to adjust the steering box backlash, as the dealership can tell if that Loctite seal has been broken, possibly voiding the warranty.

Is there any fix out there that objectively improves the issues, or is it truly just hit and miss as far as what helps, and everyone has their own opinions? Thanks in advance for any input you all may have!
I'm in exactly the same boat. Although my Jeep is a recent 2019 build. I'm struggling to understand what is normal. I've gotten used to the steering and can control it on the freeway, but my wife made very similar comments after the first time she drove it.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
OP: Before doing anything, I would measure the caster you have now. If it is already around 6Ā°, spending money to increasing the caster will not make any noticeably difference.

If you determine that you would like to add 1Ā°-1.5Ā° more caster and plan to stay stock height, then yes the 1/4" longer arms will make a difference. It's not the length arms length that matters, it is the angle of the axle that you are refining. Your steering may not be 100% fixed, but it will be a step in the right direction.

I would recommend the Mopar lift arms if yours did not already come with them. The OEM lower control arm's only design flaw is that Jeep did not revise the length for the different ride heights. Other than that the design is adequate for relatively stock jeeps, and they cost way less than anything aftermarket.

Sponsored

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
All stock 2 Door Rubicon here
The things I did cumulatively made a nice noticeable difference.
Re-torque all steering linkage bolts! Very important.
Rancho steering stabilizer
Re set the toe in slightly
Longer mopar arms made the most noticeable change.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

The 1/4ā€ longer lower control arms will make a difference, but imho I would get adjustable lower control arms instead because the closer you get to 6 degrees of castor the better your rig will drive.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

If you are worried about warranty then don't do anything aftermarket. Push the dealer to solve the problem. As soon as you introduce anything 3rd party into the suspension/steering FCA has the excuse they need to ignore you.

The nice thing with the longer Mopar LCA is they look identical and the dealer is not likely to realize they are different.

In fact these longer arms come standard on the JT Rubicon from the factory.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
The 1/4ā€ longer lower control arms will make a difference, but imho I would get adjustable lower control arms instead because the closer you get to 6 degrees of castor the better your rig will drive.
The OP has not stated what their current caster is. It is likely that the Mopar arms will be sufficient.

On my JLR with steel bumpers and no winch, the Mopar lower control arms made the caster right at 6Ā°.

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
measured before and after , I also loosened upper bolts to get maximum caster. + 1.1Ā° with the new Mopar arms. Steering wheel goes slightly to the left. Do your arm swap before alignment.
Itā€™s worth it , drives better
Sponsored