Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
I had this thing apart 20 times. OEM ball joints, Dana ball joints, dynatrack ball joints, Reid racing knuckles,Rustys 2.5 steering, replaced all the Rusty’s ends with a second set after 1000 miles, three aluminum boxes, three steel boxes. New hub bearings. I have been through this Jeep 1000 times. I also have had numerous conversations with the steering and suspension engineers at FCA. I work for a very large group of 800+ collision locations in the US and most are FCA certified shops so I have access to people most don’t.

I have had 3 new steel boxes sent to me and have bench tested them and the over center lash settings and all over the board. The one with the tightest lash is in the Jeep and has been for the last 9-10 months. It STILL is on the high end of what they are saying is acceptable. FYI the spec on the JK box has HALF of the acceptable range than the JL.

There is zero issues with any of the suspension, the two things that contribute to it are the box itself and the flex in the frame where the box is mounted to. Even with a brace the box will flex 3/4-1” side to side when sawing the wheel. The box isn’t moving the entire frame is.The shimmy started after the lift. With the lift the track bar and the drag link have an increased angle to the frame and the box, that increases the leverage applied to the box which causes more flex in the frame.

The Jl uses a UHHS frame so the steel is considerably stronger in a collision, so they can actually make the frame thinner , which means lighter that if it were just HSS like the JK. The thinner walls of the frame made it lighter but now it flexes more. Look how much a JL frame twists VS a JK. Also the Mojav has 16-17 additional gussets in the frame and it’s 100+ pounds heavier, because they needed to reduce the flexing of the frame. The frame was designed for the aluminum box, they added 25 pounds to the box when it went to steel. The frame wasn’t changed.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
I had this thing apart 20 times. OEM ball joints, Dana ball joints, dynatrack ball joints, Reid racing knuckles,Rustys 2.5 steering, replaced all the Rusty’s ends with a second set after 1000 miles, three aluminum boxes, three steel boxes. New hub bearings. I have been through this Jeep 1000 times. I also have had numerous conversations with the steering and suspension engineers at FCA. I work for a very large group of 800+ collision locations in the US and most are FCA certified shops so I have access to people most don’t.

I have had 3 new steel boxes sent to me and have bench tested them and the over center lash settings and all over the board. The one with the tightest lash is in the Jeep and has been for the last 9-10 months. It STILL is on the high end of what they are saying is acceptable. FYI the spec on the JK box has HALF of the acceptable range than the JL.

There is zero issues with any of the suspension, the two things that contribute to it are the box itself and the flex in the frame where the box is mounted to. Even with a brace the box will flex 3/4-1” side to side when sawing the wheel. The box isn’t moving the entire frame is.The shimmy started after the lift. With the lift the track bar and the drag link have an increased angle to the frame and the box, that increases the leverage applied to the box which causes more flex in the frame.

The Jl uses a UHHS frame so the steel is considerably stronger in a collision, so they can actually make the frame thinner , which means lighter that if it were just HSS like the JK. The thinner walls of the frame made it lighter but now it flexes more. Look how much a JL frame twists VS a JK. Also the Mojav has 16-17 additional gussets in the frame and it’s 100+ pounds heavier, because they needed to reduce the flexing of the frame. The frame was designed for the aluminum box, they added 25 pounds to the box when it went to steel. The frame wasn’t changed.
Any plans for PSC in the future?

OP
OP
Jeep&dogs

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Any plans for PSC in the future?
Not really. I’m only running a 2.5” lift and 35’s. Should not need to. I had it 99% there prior to trying the new stabilizer. I honestly had to talk myself into swapping because I had it driving pretty well and didn’t want to screw it up. My only complaints were there wasn’t much wheel return because I had the FOX stabilizer set pretty high. That’s the thing I love the most about the new one, the wheel return is just as good as my Wife’s 20 Grand Cherokee, I would almost say it’s better. The last remaining shimmy I had is gone. It was always worse when the temps were below 45 or so. The last week or so I have been driving it I don’t think it’s been above 20 so it’s actually doing great.

Sponsored

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Not really. I’m only running a 2.5” lift and 35’s. Should not need to. I had it 99% there prior to trying the new stabilizer. I honestly had to talk myself into swapping because I had it driving pretty well and didn’t want to screw it up. My only complaints were there wasn’t much wheel return because I had the FOX stabilizer set pretty high. That’s the thing I love the most about the new one, the wheel return is just as good as my Wife’s 20 Grand Cherokee, I would almost say it’s better. The last remaining shimmy I had is gone. It was always worse when the temps were below 45 or so. The last week or so I have been driving it I don’t think it’s been above 20 so it’s actually doing great.
Ya I might need to follow your lead and try one. I’m on 38s though and I feel like PSC is in my distant future.

ArmannB

First Name
Armann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR 3.6
Jumping in here looking for some help with my situation.

I had the Mopar installed a few weeks ago and gained about 3in on my JLUR. As expected I needed adj track bars so added those in and after a couple attempts finally have my steering centered. Had some bump steer that’s now gone so I thought I’m all set but Jeep drives great until I’m in the 40-60mph range steering wheel gets a small wobble. Much less than the bump steer I had before the trackbar and seems to be only in that speed range.

I was running my 37s for a few weeks pre lift with no issues so I felt like balancing issues aren’t part of this. However, with 1000 miles on the tires could the balance be off already?

During the trackbar install I took the advice to steer left/right to help center the axle without the trackbar in place. Could that have done any damage?

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Jumping in here looking for some help with my situation.

I had the Mopar installed a few weeks ago and gained about 3in on my JLUR. As expected I needed adj track bars so added those in and after a couple attempts finally have my steering centered. Had some bump steer that’s now gone so I thought I’m all set but Jeep drives great until I’m in the 40-60mph range steering wheel gets a small wobble. Much less than the bump steer I had before the trackbar and seems to be only in that speed range.

I was running my 37s for a few weeks pre lift with no issues so I felt like balancing issues aren’t part of this. However, with 1000 miles on the tires could the balance be off already?

During the trackbar install I took the advice to steer left/right to help center the axle without the trackbar in place. Could that have done any damage?
Try adding more caster. I had similar issues that went away once I got adjustable LCAs and extended them to 6.5ish degrees

ArmannB

First Name
Armann
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLUR 3.6
Try adding more caster. I had similar issues that went away once I got adjustable LCAs and extended them to 6.5ish degrees
That was on my list of eventual upgrades but went ahead and ordered a set a Clayton LCAs today

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It has been hard reading about your struggle Jim. I don't believe I would have hung in there like you have. Kudos to you sir. :handsinair: :rock::clap:
Makes no sense to me that many have no steering issues and some are having so much.:surprised::swear:
I hope your "fixed" stays so. Cheers

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
drove mine from Nova to Charlotte NC this weekend. the last time i did this trip was pre current steering box and i was so damn tired and annoyed with the steering i was ready to sell the damn thing. Now with a 2nd New box, it drove down the road so much better. Only problem was the wind made holding a straight line in some places rather challenging. I hope you guys get yours figured out. I will go with a set of adjustable LCA's in the near future to hopefully get that last little bit better.
Sponsored