Sponsored

Will the 1/4" longer LCAs really improve the wandering issue?

tk2fast

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2000 TJ, 2001 XJ
This is what I have found with my 2018 JLU to correct wandering/drivability.
Toe needs to be set for a total of 0.34 - 0.36 per FCA Help Desk.
Caster needs to be at least 6.
Track bar needs to be replaced according to FCA and my local shop who are familiar with the JL problems.

After all that I would be surprised if it didn't drive as best as possible.
The only other variable is the steering gearbox but most of the time that would be the last thing to replace.
Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Track bar needs to be replaced according to FCA and my local shop who are familiar with the JL problems.

The only other variable is the steering gearbox but most of the time that would be the last thing to replace.
There is also a new and improved OEM Link Rod part number. The newer part number that came out earlier this year has two reinforced brackets inside instead of one. 68258760AD And be sure to check torque on all steering and suspension related components. Many have reported finger tight ball joint nuts and track bar, drag link not even to 50% of the torque specs.

rod.png

Last edited:

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2021

10 days at the dealer - 2021 JLURD.

2 alignments done on my own (unbeknownst to me the Jeep had such a cancer)

no dead spot but a pretty annoying right pull

pictures of me driving a straight line having to apply pressure to the left to keep it straight

READ the dealer tech comments. My blood has been boiling since.

case escalate to Jeep wave case manager - comments back are “according to the dealer vehicle as per specs, drives normal”

First wrangler for me. Regretting my 66K MSRP vehicle.

@JeepCares has been responsive here on the forum but so far based on what I read and feedback from dealer - I’m on my own to fix an engineering flaw.

hundreds of comments of drivers with same issue resorting to upgraded steering stabilizer shock, mopar LCA’s from the 2” mopar lift kit.

frustrating.

and read again the tech comments. It’s pathetic. “Vehicle not meant to drive straight the whole time “

C5D88ACB-77D2-4728-928A-2E1FA13E874B.jpeg

DC1D5D4F-523D-444E-952F-7DCD4EF752DE.jpeg

33D2DDA1-A7C8-451D-BA1B-B9317BDC83B5.jpeg

D2BDC10C-6D2F-43E7-80B6-AF91ABADE088.jpeg

96E40EEB-E110-4EC7-B2CC-B3C8A41B7494.jpeg

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL

pictures of me driving a straight line having to apply pressure to the left to keep it straight

case escalate to Jeep wave case manager - comments back are “according to the dealer vehicle as per specs, drives normal”

@JeepCares has been responsive here on the forum but so far based on what I read and feedback from dealer - I’m on my own to fix an engineering flaw.

hundreds of comments of drivers with same issue resorting to upgraded steering stabilizer shock, mopar LCA’s from the 2” mopar lift kit.

frustrating.

and read again the tech comments. It’s pathetic. “Vehicle not meant to drive straight the whole time “

C5D88ACB-77D2-4728-928A-2E1FA13E874B.jpeg

DC1D5D4F-523D-444E-952F-7DCD4EF752DE.jpeg

33D2DDA1-A7C8-451D-BA1B-B9317BDC83B5.jpeg

D2BDC10C-6D2F-43E7-80B6-AF91ABADE088.jpeg

96E40EEB-E110-4EC7-B2CC-B3C8A41B7494.jpeg
Hang in there. It can be fixed. I got the same story on my 2018 JLU Rubicon. Dealer is wrong. Mine drives great now but at my own research (with everyone on this forums help) and my own cost. Dealerships were clueless.

What is you caster set at for starters. I only ask as you said you had it aligned twice.
Also I run 37’s and it drive better now then it did stock of the lot. PM me if you want to talk.

Last edited:

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hang in there. It can be fixed. I got the same story on my 2018 JLU Rubicon. Dealer is wrong. Mine drives great now but at my own research (everyone on this forum help) and my own cost. Dealerships were clueless.

What is you caster set at for starters. I only ask as you said you had it aligned twice.
Also I run 37’s and it drive better now then it did stock of the lot. PM me if you want to talk.
My caster is at 5.2 and I’m completely stock.

about to shape wheels go a 9” wide set with -6 off set and 35’s (venomrex) but won’t lift it.

Sponsored

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
I’ve got my appointment on the 23rd for the TSB update with new steering box: at that point I will see if I need to install the lower control arms that I’ve already bought, but thinking I might put them on just in case

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
My caster is at 5.2 and I’m completely stock.

about to shape wheels go a 9” wide set with -6 off set and 35’s (venomrex) but won’t lift it.

I have 37” Mud Terrains and do not wander at all. 80mph one hand on the wheel. The fix for me was:

-RC front lower adjustable control arms to increase caster( between 6-7 degrees)
-Yeti front adjustable track bar.
- Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer.
- Tire pressure at 33 psi.
- check/torqued all front end bolt/nuts. Some where a bit loose.

My 2018 JLU Rubicon drove like garbage on the freeway off the lot stock. Now it drives on the freeway( and off the freeway) really sweeeeeeeet after the above additions/adjustments.

MntsRcalln

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2011 Dodge Ram Bighorn, 1990 Totoya 4x4 Mod
I have 37” Mud Terrains and do not wander at all. 80mph one hand on the wheel. The fix for me was:

-RC front lower adjustable control arms to increase caster( between 6-7 degrees)
-Yeti front adjustable track bar.
- Fox 2.0 steering stabilizer.
- Tire pressure at 33 psi.
- check/torqued all front end bolt/nuts. Some where a bit loose.

My 2018 JLU Rubicon drove like garbage on the freeway off the lot stock. Now it drives on the freeway( and off the freeway) really sweeeeeeeet after the above additions/adjustments.
You pretty much nailed it.

Mine:
- 35 Falcon Wildpeaks
- Teraflex front lower adjustable control arms to increase caster( between 6-7 degrees)
- Yeti front adjustable track bar.
- Teraflex Falcon Nexus 2.2 steering stabilizer. (I set it on Med.)
- Tire pressure at 34 psi. (Any lower I get squirrely)

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the new steering box and fw flash from the service update?

maddscot

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon Wrangler Unlimited

frustrating.

Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 1/4" longer LCAs really improve the wandering issue? 96E40EEB-E110-4EC7-B2CC-B3C8A41B7494

Jeep Wrangler JL Will the 1/4" longer LCAs really improve the wandering issue? 96E40EEB-E110-4EC7-B2CC-B3C8A41B7494

Same story for me, really did not notice it until a couple of long trips via highways that my arm felt a little worked from corrective steering vs my 4Runner and other similar vehicles. Went in when the TSB was provided, and showed video (son took while driving) and that it felt like a dead spot as well. This was experienced even before seeing the TSB that I had seen it and went with the "its a jeep thing" for a bit (but yes at the cost the steering should be solid, I can deal with extra noise and "its not a sports car" awareness - it is what it is and does what it does well).

I took it to the dealer and same response of "we did not notice any issue or as customer noted issue with steering" I took a drive with the Serv Manager, and on a even and off camber roads showed the difference, even let go of the wheel and vehicle went to the right pretty quickly. Still a response of "they all do it, they're Jeeps..." I need a new dealer.

Now after bring it in again, same issue request, and with the TSB, got the same answer. Told them I would bring it in every time and state the same so it is documented on every service report. Contacted Jeep Cares and two days later dealer calls and says "we ordered your parts, and will call when the come in, they have been expeditated to us". Should not have to get things done this way, it really shows they don't care. Shame as the sales group was great to work with, but the parts area and service at times I am not sure of. Many locally like this dealer and called out a couple of the SMs that they like. I don't get the same feeling...

Sponsored

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same story for me, really did not notice it until a couple of long trips via highways that my arm felt a little worked from corrective steering vs my 4Runner and other similar vehicles. Went in when the TSB was provided, and showed video (son took while driving) and that it felt like a dead spot as well. This was experienced even before seeing the TSB that I had seen it and went with the "its a jeep thing" for a bit (but yes at the cost the steering should be solid, I can deal with extra noise and "its not a sports car" awareness - it is what it is and does what it does well).

I took it to the dealer and same response of "we did not notice any issue or as customer noted issue with steering" I took a drive with the Serv Manager, and on a even and off camber roads showed the difference, even let go of the wheel and vehicle went to the right pretty quickly. Still a response of "they all do it, they're Jeeps..." I need a new dealer.

Now after bring it in again, same issue request, and with the TSB, got the same answer. Told them I would bring it in every time and state the same so it is documented on every service report. Contacted Jeep Cares and two days later dealer calls and says "we ordered your parts, and will call when the come in, they have been expeditated to us". Should not have to get things done this way, it really shows they don't care. Shame as the sales group was great to work with, but the parts area and service at times I am not sure of. Many locally like this dealer and called out a couple of the SMs that they like. I don't get the same feeling...

Most of their dealers are a cancer. this is pathetic. lazy and unprofessional.

my issue is challenging as mine is a 2021 and supposedly has the new steering gearbox and updated software. still pulls to the right.

i wonder if axles are not sitting straight, if brake is grabbing on the right caliper, not really sure - dealer has taken the shortcut of saying this is normal. unreal.

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Anybody have any feedback on running the 1/4” longer lower control arms on a stock height Rubicon? Does it make a huge improvement in driving straight on roads? Any driveline noise afterward?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Anybody have any feedback on running the 1/4” longer lower control arms on a stock height Rubicon? Does it make a huge improvement in driving straight on roads? Any driveline noise afterward?
It made a noticeable difference, not a huge improvement. It was enough though that I wouldn't hesitate to do it again. There's been no change in driveline noise.

Tsalvador

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
measured before and after , I also loosened upper bolts to get maximum caster. + 1.1° with the new Mopar arms. Steering wheel goes slightly to the left. Do your arm swap before alignment.
It’s worth it , drives better
got the new arms installed today.

jlurd - stock suspension
stock wheels/tires - caster 5.2 both sides
upgraded to 35's and -6offset 17 wheels - didnt measure caster
upgraded to the longer mopar LCA's - caster 5.4 left, 5.2 right

my understanding is that there is no adjustment to be done on them. its a straight replacement/bolt on no?
so im back at where i was.... i guess the 35 tires made me lose a few degress of caster which with the longer arms it put me back to where i was.

answer is - adjustable ones? or could have been an installation mistake? wondering!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
got the new arms installed today.

jlurd - stock suspension
stock wheels/tires - caster 5.2 both sides
upgraded to 35's and -6offset 17 wheels - didnt measure caster
upgraded to the longer mopar LCA's - caster 5.4 left, 5.2 right

my understanding is that there is no adjustment to be done on them. its a straight replacement/bolt on no?
so im back at where i was.... i guess the 35 tires made me lose a few degress of caster which with the longer arms it put me back to where i was.

answer is - adjustable ones? or could have been an installation mistake? wondering!
Make sure you actually got the longer LCAs, and if so crawl under the Jeep and make sure they put the longer ones on. Your caster sounds high when it was stock for a Rubicon, if you had the shorter arms and did no raising of the suspension then the new longer ones WILL move your caster at least 1.25 degrees. Taller tires won't affect caster.
Maybe the diesel Rubicons in 2021 have longer LCAs???
Sponsored