Sponsored

How well does the hill start assist work?

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
I'm wondering what you guys think of the hill start assist with the 6-speed. I'm patiently waiting for mine to come in and it's flat as a pancake where I test drove the 6-speed so it never engaged.

I've only had 2 cars with hill start assist before, one I turned off immediately and never experienced it, the other couldn't be turned off and it was horrendous. You had to have the clutch nearly fully engaged for it to disable the brakes so you either had to drag with the brakes on and roast the clutch or do a clutch dump and lurch forward.

Is it worth playing around with in the Wrangler? Or just shut it off immediately?
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm wondering what you guys think of the hill start assist with the 6-speed. I'm patiently waiting for mine to come in and it's flat as a pancake where I test drove the 6-speed so it never engaged.

I've only had 2 cars with hill start assist before, one I turned off immediately and never experienced it, the other couldn't be turned off and it was horrendous. You had to have the clutch nearly fully engaged for it to disable the brakes so you either had to drag with the brakes on and roast the clutch or do a clutch dump and lurch forward.

Is it worth playing around with in the Wrangler? Or just shut it off immediately?
Lol, the things that concern us while waiting for a vehicle. It can be turned off. I don't have the manual but I am sure it isn't an issue because if it was there would be someone birching about it in here. Lol.

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
It works well enough. From what I remember since I turned it off, when on a hill holding the brake and clutch pedal would give you a couple seconds before the brakes would release. It doesn’t hold long If you took too long they release and you roll back. It helps for newer drivers. But someone mentioned something about increased pad wear. I’ve been driving manuals for decades on road. Might turn it back on one day off road to see if I notice anything different.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
It works well enough. From what I remember since I turned it off, when on a hill holding the brake and clutch pedal would give you a couple seconds before the brakes would release. It doesn’t hold long If you took too long they release and you roll back. It helps for newer drivers. But someone mentioned something about increased pad wear. I’ve been driving manuals for decades on road. Might turn it back on one day off road to see if I notice anything different.
Ya, anyone who is taught correctly how to drive a standard really shouldn't need hill hold. Clutch control will hold the vehicle easily. Granted, I guess living in San Francisco or something it might be a nice feature. Lol.

58Willys

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
It works decently on moderate hills. But on a steep hill the brakes hold way too long and it really hard to get going, no throttle response either for a second or two. Disable it and just drive.

Sponsored

Merc

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 door 6mt Willys; 2013 Subaru Crosstrek
I turned mine off before I drove it off the lot. So it was only used by the manufacturer for test driving the only 2 miles it had on it when I picked it up.

Tethmes

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
Never really thought about turning it off, but it hasn't been a nuisance for me at least. Every once in a while It'll engage since we have a few parking lots in the area that have a slight incline to get out of. My last car had the feature as well even though it was an automatic (dual clutch technically, so I'm guessing it was on that to be some clutch saving feature since there's no torque converter), so I guess I'm just used to it. If you haven't driven a manual in a while I'm sure it will help you to get your bearings on those hill starts.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I've never driven a vehicle with hill hold assist before I discovered that my JL doesn't roll backwards when I get off the brakes. That was weird for me when I first discovered that. But it works fine, doesn't hold you for more than a couple seconds so it's acutally quite begnign. I've never looked into turning it off.

Slowregal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01 TJ 2.5 5spd on 31s / '22 JLUR 3.6/Manual
I've had my 6 spd '22 for almost a month now and I can say the hill start works great.
It'll hold you in place for about 3 seconds when you release the brake in a hill and you don't feel it holding you back when you start to roll forward. I had the same system in my subaru STi and it was very bad. This one in my JL works good and i'm happy with it, i'd leave it alone.

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
Ya, anyone who is taught correctly how to drive a standard really shouldn't need hill hold. Clutch control will hold the vehicle easily. Granted, I guess living in San Francisco or something it might be a nice feature. Lol.
I hope by "clutch control" you're not advocating letting the clutch out 1/2 way to hold it on a hill. Really don't want to see any more clutch grenading stories on here.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I hope by "clutch control" you're not advocating letting the clutch out 1/2 way to hold it on a hill. Really don't want to see any more clutch grenading stories on here.
Using the clutch engage point to hill start is absolutely ok and recomended everywhere. That has nothing to do with the clutches grenading.

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I barely notice it, so I leave it on. Only time I do notice it is when I WANT to roll backwards and there is a delay.

DiscoLemonade

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Turned mine off immediately, never used it. I had read some reports about people experiencing delayed takeoff and stalling due to it being on. The 6mt is a bit slow on the get go when you first start to break it in. It gets better with time though

T.Pigott

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon 2018 Grand Cherokee Overland HA
Occupation
Soldier
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, manuals aren't the only Wranglers with Hill Start Assist. Some of you may already know that but I had to look it up because our GC also has it. I did turn mine of on my Wrangler though because I didn't want to get accustomed to it or even depend on it. I have bad manual driving habits though and I like to roll back before I start forward. It keeps people off my tail at red lights. :LOL:

brennaman

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 WK 2014 JK, 2021 JLR snazzberry
Occupation
damn near retired
Using the clutch engage point to hill start is absolutely ok and recomended everywhere. That has nothing to do with the clutches grenading.
Agree that "riding the clutch on a hill" has nothing to do with clutches grenading. But using the clutch, what my Dad called "riding the clutch", where you hold the clutch engaged enough to keep you from rolling back, but not enough to go forward, is absolutely NOT OK when I was taught to drive. It does wear the clutch out doing that. When I was taught to drive, on a clutch, on a hill I used the brake only, if I tried to ride the clutch to hold me on the hill my Dad would give me holy hell. He told me if I could not drive drive correctly, I could not drive. And he would not help me replace a clutch that I wore out just because I did not know how to drive. I took my TJ to the dealership for warranty work one time, and they tech had to drive it. I insisted I go with them, and he tried to ride the clutch on a hill. I don't let anyone abuse my car any more that I would, so I jumped his @ss not to ride the clutch. He told me that it has no effect, or wear on a clutch. When we got back I had to explain to him how a clutch worked, and then he said "well sure, but very little" So I told him when it was time to replace the clutch he could do it, since he admitted he caused some undue wear on my clutch.

So with my long rant, sure it does not wear it too much, but would you want to sit on a hill riding the clutch for an hour? No, it does wear the clutch more than just a typical shift, and I would never do it on my vehicle. My son learned to drive my TJ, and he sure hated the hill training, but it is part of driving. Just my $.02.
Sponsored