How well do the safety packages work?

TokyoJeepster

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
The advanced safety system has stopped me twice slammed on the brakes to dead stop —— each time in a parking garage going up a ramp with nothing around. Scared the crap out of me twice. So, I deactivated it. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I don’t trust the system. A relative has a Ram. He almost got rear ended at one point because his “safety system” system triggered and slammed on his brakes.

If escalators worked as good as this FCA system, nobody would ride them.
Same thing happened to me and my wife (once with me and once with her) on separate occasions, both in enclosed parking lots inside a structure. Scared us and my coffee almost went flying into the dashboard. Many false positives with the sound warning too when driving under a bridge/highway/underpass. I turned it off but noticed that it comes back on everytime like the ESS after each start. The dealer (in Japan) "reprogrammed" it and it hasn't slammed the brakes on me again but it does still beep a lot under highways/overpasses.
Sponsored

Johnczar4

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2029 Wrangler Sport S
Have 2019 JLU Sport S with active safety package. Very happy and glad I went through the trouble of finding one with it. Little arrow shows on side view mirrors when car in your blind spot. As long as you check your mirrors when changing lanes, you’re good. Helped prevent me from running over a gas station Attendant that walked behind my car when I was backing up too. I don’t have forward collision warning on mine but my wife has on her Pilot. Just your regular deductible to replace windshield. Only difference is it has to be taken into a shop due to calibration. They can’t do in your parking lot while at work. I’ve had my Wrangler since August and have 10,000 miles on it. Worth the investment. Mixed city driving in traffic 18.5 mpg, highway 21+.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
I'm interested on comments on all of the features, but particularly interested in the forward collision warning/prevention. This YouTube video (Cherokee) leads me to believe that they barely (1 time out of 12 tries) work:

Are they THIS bad? [I was hoping for a little more of a nanny.]
My wife's auto braking on her Cherokee and mine on my 19 Wrangler saved her and ME from a collision. I don't care what any videos say or show, it's WELL WORTH IT.

scottijohn63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ Cruiser, Corvette Z06 Convertible
I have the advanced safety package on my 2019 Sahara and, I have not gotten any false positives. I have mine set on the most sensitive setting. It has flashed warnings when I wasn't paying attention. I would recommend this feature.

Non Partisan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I remember saying the EXACT same thing about anti-lock brakes - 30 years ago .
Yeah, I hear you there. Although current drivers need that feature to remain "somewhat" more safe on the roads. Meaning, they know no other way. Being the old fart that I am, do not need to relinquish my responsibility. And, I still pump the brakes in the rare event that it is needed in this winter wonderland.

Driving to the current road conditions is the responsibility of the person at the wheel, NOT the responsibility of the automobile manufacturers. Being aware of the surrounding traffic is also the responsibility of the person at the wheel. This theory was laid out to us during driver education along with the fact that driving an automobile is a privilege rather than a "right".

Reactions: Ick

Sponsored

kylebw7

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Discovery, 392 Daytona, JK
Doesn’t work well in my Charger either. Slams on brakes about once a week when it’s unnecessary. Will scare you wide awake in the morning when it happens. Made me realize the huge brakes in it work very well

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I decided against this option when I found out how much it would be to replace the windshield.
Just replaced mine today and asked about the two versions... the one with the electronics was only $30 more.

That said... I have had it go off once when passing a bicycle on the left shoulder. Scared the shit out of me.

On the other hand, the beeping has alerted me twice when my attention was elsewhere and potentially saved an accident.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Just replaced mine today and asked about the two versions... the one with the electronics was only $30 more.

That said... I have had it go off once when passing a bicycle on the left shoulder. Scared the shit out of me.

On the other hand, the beeping has alerted me twice when my attention was elsewhere and potentially saved an accident.
The windshield cost issue has surfaced a few times on this thread. My car insurance covers the windshield with zero deductible. It only costs a little more per year. Do many people pay for their broken windshields 100% out-of-pocket?

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I have all of the electronics and just replaced mine out of pocket. It was $600. I don't know what the normal one costs. They didn't have a way to calibrate it but said to come back if there was a problem. So far it's worked fine. I had the Jeep slam on the brakes once after I first got it and then I turned the braking part off. I probably get a false positive of it screaming at me once a month. So far I've been impressed with the adaptive cruise control. I mainly just use it when I'm in the carpool lane but works great for that. I don't really use the blind spot mirror so I I've never really paid attention to how well it works.

Overall I'm glad I have the electronics package.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Amazed at how many people don't like the advanced safety package. The Forward collision braking has saved my ass twice. Also saved my wife from rear ending a truck last week. SO, I will always get it on all my vehicles going forward!. She also has the steering correction on her Cherokee and it's a great feature. I keep hers set at the maximum setting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Amazed at how many people don't like the advanced safety package. The Forward collision braking has saved my ass twice. Also saved my wife from rear ending a truck last week. SO, I will always get it on all my vehicles going forward!. She also has the steering correction on her Cherokee and it's a great feature. I keep hers set at the maximum setting.
OP here. I'm convinced - I'll order both packages on my JL Diesel.

On a side note, what is the "steering correction"? Is that a lane-keeping option that's not offered on the Wrangler?

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
There is one particular left turn on my way to work where the FCW sometimes beeps at me, but I'm not surprised - there's a large metal box on the corner and for a second during that turn it might look like I'm going straight for it. I've noticed that if I keep the wheel turned on focus on the 2nd lane (starting from the outer left turn lane), then it's less likely to beep at me than if I end up in the 3rd lane (usually because the person in the inner left turn lane veered out into mine).

You can change the way FCW works (beep only vs beep+slam brakes) in the car settings on your radio. You can also change how blind spot detection works (just lighting up the triangle vs lighting it and beeping).

The only problem with the beeping is it's really annoying in cities where you have multiple left turn lanes and a car comes up on you while you're driving in one with your turn signal on. Wish it only beeped when you started turning the wheel.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Back before Waze was introduced and warned of police presence, many of us used radar detectors to help keep out of trouble. I've owned many detectors over the years, and even the best ones had false alarms. I decided that I'd rather be safe than sorry, and learned to interpret the alarms rather than go unprotected. If I made that decision to avoid a speeding ticket, I'm certainly willing to accept some falses when the stakes are much, much higher.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
I've only had my JL since the first week of December 2019, but FCW and automatic braking save me from getting into an accident once already.

The car in front of me was making a left hand turn on an advance green when he suddenly slammed on his brakes mid turn. No idea why he did that as there was nothing in front of him, but the FCW system stopped me about 2 feet from his back bumper, so it's more than paid for itself already as I would no doubt have been found at fault if I had rear ended him.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
How well do the safety packages work?

Can't really complain
fireball.jpeg
Sponsored