Sponsored

How to tighten steering.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I like the wheel close also! It wasn’t till we were half way home that I figured out how to actually do it!
I drove 1400 miles before I realized the JL had a telescoping steering wheel with lots of adjustment toward me. I was so busy fooling with the Infotainment Center and the Tazer JL that I it did not even cross my mind to adjust the telescoping steering wheel.
Sponsored

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
I drove 1400 miles before I realized the JL had a telescoping steering wheel with lots of adjustment toward me. I was so busy fooling with the Infotainment Center and the Tazer JL that I it did not even cross my mind to adjust the telescoping steering wheel.
Oh crap, really! Now what the hell is a tazer JL

Four Flusher

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting Gray, auto
You may also find adjusting the telescoping steering wheel closer to you may be a plus. I know it made a difference for me.
I tried this, freaky that it would improve tracking but it does. Any guesses why? I don't love the wheel out. I normally drive all gangster, seat all the way back and low, big recline and the wheel all the way in. Oh well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
snipe:
I tried this, freaky that it would improve tracking but it does.
I'm not sure why exactly but yes, I found my JL tracking much better / not wandering. With me, I think without the steering wheel telescoped out / closer to me, I was reaching and would let my arm(s) drop a tad occasionally and of course the vehicle goes where you point it. ANYWAY, 35# tire pressures and telescoped steering wheel has really worked in regard to cutting down of wandering, etc..

hubble

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU, 2018 F150 4X4
Isn't that vierd....................

Sponsored

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I’m considering replacing the All Terrain tires with a set of Highway All Season tires like I had on my JK to see if more rubber on the road helps. I could easily drive my JK at 75 with one hand on the wheel. No way with my JL.

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
I’m considering replacing the All Terrain tires with a set of Highway All Season tires like I had on my JK to see if more rubber on the road helps. I could easily drive my JK at 75 with one hand on the wheel. No way with my JL.
Is it a stock Jeep... mine is lifted on 37 KO2’s and drives great... had is professionally aligned and made tire pressure adjustment and other than when it’s windy it drive/tracks awesome....

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Yes. Completely stock. Tires at 34# cold. Had alignment checked. Wanders all over the road at highway speeds.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Won't help. Mine has Bridgestone Dueler H/T tires on it, as road worthy as you'll find on a Jeep, and it still wonders. If anybody has ever wondered what it would be like to drive while drunk, go test drive a JL Wrangler.

Not directing this at you... but like I've said countless times this issue has nothing to do with the tires. I don't know why guys think the tires would make a vehicle handle and steer poorly. If that were the case, those tires would be taken off the market. Tires should never cause a vehicle to move back and forth in a lane of traffic.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I don't know why guys think the tires would make a vehicle handle and steer poorly. If that were the case, those tires would be taken off the market. Tires should never cause a vehicle to move back and forth in a lane of traffic.
Consider these facts for starters:
  • Tires are the only thing between the vehicle and the road. Without good ones, properly inflated and maintained, you ain't going very far.
  • Over-inflation adversely affects handling, and every new vehicle that rolls off the lot will have its tires over-inflated by 5-10 lb. I'm not sure what dealer make-ready crews actually do, but they damn sure don't check tire pressure.
  • Under-inflation adversely affects handling.
  • Unbalanced tires adversely affect handling.
  • Overloaded tires adversely affect handling.
  • Mismatched tires adversely affect handling.
  • Damaged tires, whether from a foreign object, manufacturing defect or customer abuse, adversely affect handling.
Call me crazy, but I think it makes sense to eliminate the easiest and most obvious suspects first. I'm not saying some of y'all don't have a mechanical or electronic-related steering problem, because maybe you do. But poo-pooing folks who check their tires first defies logic.

Sponsored

Sftdyna0326$

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 LR4
How many miles on your JL and what tire pressure are you running?

Kysport

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
I'm at 3000 miles and running 34 pounds cold

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am running right at 35# on stock tires on my JLU Sahara with the wheel telescoped out about 3/4 of the way and it drives in a pretty solid straight line on the highway, no pulling and no wandering :)

MerciiRubii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OB Rubicon JL
Don't buy a JL Wrangler.

CJs, YJs, and JKs in my experience do not wonder like a tug boat on a roaring ocean the way the JL does.

To the OP, I would suggest having your alignment checked. Caster plays a very important role in handling.
I actually just noticed this today! I had a jk then got the JL, had a loaner for a week grand Cherokee and I was driving home and I’m like damn this thing wanders a lot you have to really be focused on driving and steering and it’s a tight steer at that.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Mine on 37”s, I really don’t have to touch the wheel most of the time, even at 80. With 2.5” lift, factory arms and tires at about 29 psi. Nice and smooth. But when I first got the tires and they aired them up to 37psi it wandered around, like a pot head in Colorado.
Sponsored