How to tighten steering.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
There's another thread about this subject but it turned into a debate on the effectiveness of buying new steering stabilizers, so I wanted to try again.

What's your opinion on the best way to remove dead zone play in the neutral position of the steering wheel, thereby making highway strait line driving easier. Has anybody messed with the steering box yet?
Sponsored

Taxman

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
Drive a CJ for a week and the JL steering will feel tighter than a tick’s ass.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
There's another thread about this subject but it turned into a debate on the effectiveness of buying new steering stabilizers, so I wanted to try again.

What's your opinion on the best way to remove dead zone play in the neutral position of the steering wheel, thereby making highway strait line driving easier. Has anybody messed with the steering box yet?
Check your tire pressure.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Drive a CJ for a week and the JL steering will feel tighter than a tick’s ass.
I totally agree with that! I had two of them and enjoyed watching others try driving it! They were ALL OVER THE PLACE! But, this is a real issue on the jl, at least with some jeeps. My JKUR was not nearly as bad as my JLUR is now.
I'm curious if there's a fix! Taking mine to dealership tomorrow to check toe-in numbers. If mine didn't want to wander so easily then I don't think the dead spot will feel as bad. It's not going to steer like a grand Cherokee but it would be better.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Don't buy a wrangler.........
Don't buy a JL Wrangler.

CJs, YJs, and JKs in my experience do not wonder like a tug boat on a roaring ocean the way the JL does.

To the OP, I would suggest having your alignment checked. Caster plays a very important role in handling.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I do agree that getting tire pressure down to 37 max (it fluctuates depending on temp) and making sure toe-in alignment numbers are right before doing anything else.
However, does anyone have an answer to the OP about whether or not there are any adjustments in the steering box? I don't think there is but I'm not sure.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Well if you poke around here, you'll see that the forum here is divided. You have one camp who clearly notices the horrendous steering/handling of the JL and is trying to find out what's going on. Then you have the other camp who overlooks the issue, thinks those who are upset about it are morons, and offer no help. It would be nice at this point if the moderators could take all of the many threads about this topic and merge them into one sticky so we could keep all the info sharing in one place.

As far as the steering box goes, there was always adjustment you could make to them in the past but I have not looked at the JL box that closely yet. As you know, it's a new electro-hydraulic system meaning that the engine no longer drives the pump via a belt. I'm not sure how or if that will affect our ability to make steering adjustments at the box. I would think that there'd still be adjustment there but I haven't looked at it yet.

I do think that a lot of Jeep dealerships have the ability to do alignments in house, so asking your dealer to check that for you first would be a logical step. That's exactly what I plan to do when I go in for my first free oil change.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Don't buy a JL Wrangler.
IOW, do as you say, not as you do. LOL!

Seriously, if you hate your JL so much, why are you waiting until it's time for your first oil change to have your alleged problems addressed?

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
But, this is a real issue on the jl, at least with some jeeps. My JKUR was not nearly as bad as my JLUR is now.
I went to a different dealership and drove a 2018 JK yesterday. My JL wanders a lot more than the JK does. And before someone yells "tire pressure" yet again, it is set to match the door panel PSI.

Sponsored

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Taking mine to dealership tomorrow to check toe-in numbers. If mine didn't want to wander so easily then I don't think the dead spot will feel as bad.
While you are at the dealer waiting for them to check it out, test drive a 2018 JK so you have something to compare it to. Be sure to pick something with similar tires, etc. of course.

BostonBilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU
Regardless of how it feels I will drive out of my dealer and cross the street and have it aligned at a shop my buddy works at. I will also get a lifetime alignment so I can go back as much as I want which is nice living in New England where pot holes can eat a 2 door

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
Well if you poke around here, you'll see that the forum here is divided. You have one camp who clearly notices the horrendous steering/handling of the JL and is trying to find out what's going on. Then you have the other camp who overlooks the issue, thinks those who are upset about it are morons, and offer no help. It would be nice at this point if the moderators could take all of the many threads about this topic and merge them into one sticky so we could keep all the info sharing in one place.

As far as the steering box goes, there was always adjustment you could make to them in the past but I have not looked at the JL box that closely yet. As you know, it's a new electro-hydraulic system meaning that the engine no longer drives the pump via a belt. I'm not sure how or if that will affect our ability to make steering adjustments at the box. I would think that there'd still be adjustment there but I haven't looked at it yet.

I do think that a lot of Jeep dealerships have the ability to do alignments in house, so asking your dealer to check that for you first would be a logical step. That's exactly what I plan to do when I go in for my first free oil change.
Theres another camp you aren't realizing exists and that camp is the one who recognizes that some JLs are different than other JLs. Just because a few have bad steering does not mean all have bad steering, or that they are supposed to have bad steering.

I've test driven 4 JLs and each of the ones I tested had excellent, tight steering. All car review mags have commented on the vastly improved steering. Bad steering is definitely the exception and not the rule. Just because your personal JL has bad steering does not mean that all JLs do or are supposed to. You just got one of the bad ones. I daily drive a supercharged Range Rover Sport, so I know good steering.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
That is what I'm thinking. And hoping it can be easily remedied.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I always though the Fox ATS at the stiffer settings did a good job at tightening up the steering(But, set too high the steering wheel doesn't self center coming out of a turn.)
The best mod I ever did for steering feel on my JK was hydraulic assist. I don't know how that plays with the new hydraulic/electric steering box, but it was one of my favorite mods on the JK for overall steering feel.
Sponsored