Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 CJ-7, 2018 JLUR
Occupation
CPA
Vehicle Showcase
I am picking up my JLUR tomorrow! Yay! I test drove a JLUR and it felt fine. Different from my other JKs - not better or worse, just different. However, it was light years better than my current CJ or any of my previous YJs or TJs. The longer wheelbase just makes it less flighty and the wider axles just makes it feel more grounded. The dynamic steering control works well but it takes some getting used to, especially if you’re used to being in control. You’re basically relinquishing control to a computer whenever making turns at higher speeds.

To declare that the JL steering is worse than a CJ or a YJ is just sensationalism and simply not true. Now, there may be particular JLs that left the factory with steering issues, but I think those are the exception, not the rule.

The JL is far and away a huge improvement over the Jeeps of yesteryear, and a logical and welcome evolution of its predecessor JK.
Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Most who have these flighty problems, have too much air in their tires. Obviously there are exceptions, and problems with some Jeeps, but it’s few and far between. My JKR was pretty bad on the highway and my TJ even worse. We aren’t even going to talk about my CJ’s. Those who say differently have problems with their JL’s or need to buy a Cherokee or stop smoking the wacky weed.

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Don’t have an answer for the OP, but my Rubicon was no worse than my JKU. However I did lower my tire pressure this week after having for two months...just lazy...and it much better now. I hardly notice it now and like it much better than my wife Honda Pilot. I feel the steering in that is too twitchy/sensitive.

LABLUE

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 Ram 1500 North edition
Occupation
CDJR Master Tech
I went to a different dealership and drove a 2018 JK yesterday. My JL wanders a lot more than the JK does. And before someone yells "tire pressure" yet again, it is set to match the door panel PSI.
Why would you compare completely different Jeeps? They have different steering systems. I get driving other JLs.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Sorry OP! It was bound to happen. It's turned into a debate again.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Upon getting my stock JLU Sahara the tires had 43-45 lbs of air in the tires and the steering felt kinda different so I checked the tag for air and it said 35 lbs :( once I dropped almost 10 from each tire it made a huge difference

GoGators353

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Tire pressure does help but the steering wheel still has a lot of play in it, too much if you ask me.

The Acme Company

First Name
jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I’ve had 4 jkur’s before my JLUR. The Jk’s When new had darty steering and drifted until the tires wore in a little bit. After that, no problem. I always ran 40 psi in the stock BFG’s and they all drove straight as an arrow.

Fast forward to my JLUR. Picked it up at the dealer and it was all over the road. Checked the tire pressure and the tires were inflated to 47psi. You could look at the tires and see the tread crowning in the middle from over inflation.The All Terrains seem to be suited to run at a lower PSI range.

I dropped the pressure to 39 psi and it immediately made a 100% improvement.

No Jeep will ever drive like a BMW, Mercedes or Lexus. But the JL with it’s quicker steering ratio and improved turning radius is a massive improvement over past models.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
IOW, do as you say, not as you do. LOL!

Seriously, if you hate your JL so much, why are you waiting until it's time for your first oil change to have your alleged problems addressed?
Dude, lay off it already. It's getting old.

1) Show me one time I've said I hate this Jeep.
2) This is a message forum. If we don't share messages, why are we here?
3) If I had known there was a steering/handling issue with JL, transmission recall, etc. I would have waited before buying. Maybe for the 2019 model year.
4) The only reputable dealerships are in other cities from me. I don't have time to just take off work and drive there on a whim.

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am picking up my JLUR tomorrow! Yay! I test drove a JLUR and it felt fine. Different from my other JKs - not better or worse, just different. However, it was light years better than my current CJ or any of my previous YJs or TJs. The longer wheelbase just makes it less flighty and the wider axles just makes it feel more grounded. The dynamic steering control works well but it takes some getting used to, especially if you’re used to being in control. You’re basically relinquishing control to a computer whenever making turns at higher speeds.

To declare that the JL steering is worse than a CJ or a YJ is just sensationalism and simply not true. Now, there may be particular JLs that left the factory with steering issues, but I think those are the exception, not the rule.

The JL is far and away a huge improvement over the Jeeps of yesteryear, and a logical and welcome evolution of its predecessor JK.
I do agree with this. I think the issues are likely the exception. I test drove some before I purchased that didn't feel the way mine does now. My JLUR is much worse than my '14 JKUR that I had for 4 years and it had same size tires AND a teraflex 2.5" coil lift! The ones I test drove were easily better than my '14. I'm really hoping it gets resolved at the dealer on Wednesday. I'm afraid they are going to tell me it's normal or that it's because I have bigger tires on. (ko2 load C 315 70 17s). I don't have a lift on yet. I was planning on putting on new steel front bumper and winch this weekend, but I'm going to hold off now as that's just one more thing they may try pointing to...the heavier weight on the front. Sucks because I have my 15 year old son this weekend and he was excited he was going to be helping me install it all.

I'll report back if there is anything they do to help. And, I'll be asking specifically about the OP's (@sacourtney07) original question if there is anyway to help with the dead spot or if any tweaking of the steering box that can be done. I'm also going to see if I can test drive another rubicon or two there. Not sure how happy they'd be to let me do that though since I already bought one.

Sponsored

smuddy

First Name
shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well, sometimes all you have to do is tighten up the loose nut behind the steering wheel. :)
You guys are brothers, aren't you!??? :facepalm:

Chemy350

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Mortgage Loan Officer
Its gotta be something with some jeeps but not all... JL's that is. I have a JLU Rubi and it tracks straight, virtually no dead spot in the center as some people state. It definitely wanders less side to side on the highway than my JKU. Weird..I also have not noticed any build problems.. maybe I got lucky? I placed the order mid February and got it mid march.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Why would you compare completely different Jeeps? They have different steering systems. I get driving other JLs.
Because some on this forum said "drive a JK, you will see the same thing with the steering, it is a Jeep thing". WRONG. I test drove a JK 2018 and it doesn't have the "driving on glass" "constant need to correct" as my JL does. I also test drove a JL that had been on the lot for a while later that day (I forgot to the first time and decided to just in case). It did not wander all over the road like my JL. The sales guy also drove one right after the other and said he noticed the same thing - my JL all over the road, constant correction, etc. There is a ton of evidence both with test driving and what others are saying that there IS an issue with some JLs having steering issues. For those who aren't having this steering problem, congrats, but the rest of us are trying to troubleshoot and avoid the repair techs saying "it is a Jeep thing" and trying to get it fixed. I have a feeling there is a batch of bad factory stabilizers causing the issue. This would explain why some are having the problem and others are not. I'm sure some people just aren't use to the standard Jeep swaying and they aren't having a technical issue, but some are legitimately experience something wrong.
Sponsored