How to manually control the FAD

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Is anybody confident that there won’t be any long term issues with having a fad electronically disconnected? I understand there is a fork that slides a collar back and forth. Just a little concerned if it might move around if “disconnected”. No idea if there is a real reason for concern.

I use the tazer now, but it is pretty cumbersome. It would be cool if I could use one of the aux switches.
It’s got a spring which holds the fork in the open position when not engaged. It uses an electromagnetic field when engaged to override the spring and lock the collar. There’s a FAD wiring harness on eBay for $36 if someone wants to try that. I’m tempted, but I don’t have a Tazer...
Sponsored

HomesteadRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

My dad installed the BD 2 Low harness in his 2019 RAM 3500 so he can back his 5th wheel up in 2wd low. His truck has the fad. I just looked up the install of this harness and the transfer case control module looks very similar to the JL module on Moparfactoryparts.com. Might be able to make something similar to the BD 2 Low harness, or maybe even use or modify the harness to work. Here are the links to the harness install and the JL module I’m referring to.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1703-how-to-install-a-bd-2-low-unlock-kit-in-ram-3500

https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...hb0sXtddACcmaJIEx3PNkmCsqUopHewQaAnOoEALw_wcB

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
THis isnt useful just for backing up for a trailer. In Moab where the traction is crazy good 2wd low is VERY useful there. Keeps things from binding up when you dont need 4wd but still want to be in low.

If this is figured out I'd be in for sure. It would save me from going Atlas.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
It’s got a spring which holds the fork in the open position when not engaged. It uses an electromagnetic field when engaged to override the spring and lock the collar.
My dad installed the BD 2 Low harness in his 2019 RAM 3500 so he can back his 5th wheel up in 2wd low. His truck has the fad. I just looked up the install of this harness and the transfer case control module looks very similar to the JL module on Moparfactoryparts.com. Might be able to make something similar to the BD 2 Low harness, or maybe even use or modify the harness to work. Here are the links to the harness install and the JL module I’m referring to.
http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/towing/1703-how-to-install-a-bd-2-low-unlock-kit-in-ram-3500

https://www.moparfactoryparts.com/o...hb0sXtddACcmaJIEx3PNkmCsqUopHewQaAnOoEALw_wcB
Thanks. I just emailed them to see if they might be compatible.

OP
OP
mazeppa

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob

You might be onto something, both the female plug ports on the Jeep and Ram transfer case modules appear to be the same, they may function the same (?), but different part numbers and a cost difference.

Jeep transfer case module MOPAR up to 2020 models
MOPAR # 68416517AA 68416518AA, 68416519AA, & 68416520AA

Jeep Wrangler JL How to manually control the FAD Ram 68416518AA

Jeep Wrangler JL How to manually control the FAD s-l1600

Ram transfer case module MOPAR # 68250127AC up to 2021 models

Jeep Wrangler JL How to manually control the FAD Jeep 68250127AC

Jeep Wrangler JL How to manually control the FAD 130677009

Sponsored

OP
OP
mazeppa

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Anybody know where he Jeep transfer case module is located? I'm assuming under the dash or by the BCM.

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JT
Please keep us informed.
Here’s what I got back from them:
Our 1030705 kit has been tested on the Dodge pick up line only as that is out target market. You could talked to your Dodge dealer and see if they share the same systems, but at this time I am not aware of BD testing product for the Jeep Gladiators. I will mention the idea to our R&D thought.

HomesteadRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

Here’s what I got back from them:
Our 1030705 kit has been tested on the Dodge pick up line only as that is out target market. You could talked to your Dodge dealer and see if they share the same systems, but at this time I am not aware of BD testing product for the Jeep Gladiators. I will mention the idea to our R&D thought.
Right on! I bet it would work since it’s just a switch added inline to the factory harness. I wish I knew where this module was on our Jeep’s so I can verify wiring.

OP
OP
mazeppa

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Right on! I bet it would work since it’s just a switch added inline to the factory harness. I wish I knew where this module was on our Jeep’s so I can verify wiring.

I have Armorlite front and rear carpet replacement kit that will be shipping soon, so I will have the right and left front door sills off on both sides when installing. If the transfer case module isn't located behind either of the sills, then the next guess is under the dasd on a JT, it's not under the hood. From the Jeep transfer case module images in my post above (first two images in post #20), it appears it mounts to a flat surface.

Sponsored

HomesteadRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Clubs

I have Armorlite front and rear carpet replacement kit that will be shipping soon, so I will have the right and left front door sills off on both sides when installing. If the transfer case module isn't located behind either of the sills, then the next guess is under the dasd on a JT, it's not under the hood. From the Jeep transfer case module images in my post above (first two images in post #20), it appears it mounts to a flat surface.
Found the location on the Gladiator. I remembered YouTuber’s Goonzquad rebuilt a Gladiator and removed the interior. It’s behind the back seat. Still don’t know the location on the JLU.

CF31978F-7F3E-4117-B300-876434B46576.png

OP
OP
mazeppa

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
Found the location on the Gladiator. I remembered YouTuber’s Goonzquad rebuilt a Gladiator and removed the interior. It’s behind the back seat. Still don’t know the location on the JLU.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to manually control the FAD CF31978F-7F3E-4117-B300-876434B46576
Good find, that appears to be a 68416518AA, all the actual images of the transfer case modules I could find (for all Jeep, Dodge, & Ram) don't use the center plug that is just a blank spot. I think this module also controls the optional lockers if your Jeep has them.

Jeep Wrangler JL How to manually control the FAD Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.15.26 AM

see image at 6:07-6:09

On the Wranglers I believe it is the DTCM (Drive Train Control Module)
Jeep Wrangler JL How to manually control the FAD Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 9.33.39 AM

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/CAN-C-BUS-LAYOUT.pdf

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Well, I'm interested too. Just finished putting 2021 JL Rubicon front and rear axles under my 2001 Cherokee. A bit of a project but finally in and driving! Now I need to wire the front and rear lockers (pretty straightforward), but I also need to figure out how to control the FAD - or I won't even have 4WD! I played around with it briefly this evening - it ain't as easy as one may believe. Anyone pioneered this yet?

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
OK, well, it wasn't too hard to figure this out. If anyone opts to manually control the Front Axle Disconnect, here's how you can do it.

Pin 1 - DG/PK - 12V (Use an ignition 12v signal so it is not constant 12v)
Pin 2 - VT/DB - Not Used
Pin 3 - VT/DG - Ground when FAD lock is desired; Open when FAD un-lock is desired
PIN 4 - BK - Ground

Note 1: If Pin 3 is grounded, the FAD lock engages. If 12v from PIN 1 is subsequently turned off (Jeep is turned off), FAD will remain in the locked position.

Note 2: My application is that these axles are in a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. If you disconnect the FAD connector because you want to control axle manually, I have no idea if or what error codes the Wrangler ECU may complain about.

Hope this may help someone in the future.
Sponsored