Sponsored

How do I remove the fan dial on the control panel?

Ydeeps

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Hi Fellow Jeepers,

I'm going to start this off by saying I think I broke my center console so I'm digging deep to try to fix it. In short I tried painting the silver trim and everything went wrong. I am currently needing to take apart my entire control panel to clean it. I believe I will also have to clean the circuit board that the controls mount onto. I am an electrical engineer so I am fairly comfortable doing this and I know I can resolder anything I need to. The last step I have to do is take off the middle dial and it is not budging. I took off the volume and tunning knobs just fine. Does anyone know if there is a secret to this? I have not found any videos of anyone taking this apart so I am flying blind. Here are pictures of where I am now. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! I will also post pictures.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ydeeps

Ydeeps

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I masking taped everything off but the paint just went through the masking tape. I used a custom wrap paint because I figured if I didn't like it it would be easy to remove. I think that was probably my biggest mistake.

20200109_223038.jpg

This is what the console now looks like and the middle dial is what I need to remove.

20200111_153555.jpg

This is the backside and I have removed the screws that were holding it in. The middle dial is holding it back for some reason.

20200111_153610.jpg

I have circled the 4 solder points for the middle dial and my last resort is to desolder them to remove the board and clean everything thoroughly. I would REALLY like to not have to do this!!!

Inked20200111_153636_LI.jpg

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
:surprised:Wow did you paint that inside your place?:movember: Just asking because it looks like you sprayed it in your kitchen and I have never heard of any paint that you can spray inside without adequate ventilation. That could be pretty dangerous.

Also, it looks like you sprayed this on in very very heavy coats, that is why there are very large drips and runs. If you try this again, you should prep that surface first by scuffing and then an alcohol wipe down before beginning to spray. When you do spray, it should be layers of light coats with a little time in between for it to set up some. Don’t try and put it all on in one coat.

Sorry I don’t have info for you on how to remove the center knob, but wish you luck on getting this cleaned up and sorted out.

Last edited:

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
Ydeeps

Ydeeps

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
:surprised:Wow did you paint that inside your place?:movember: Just asking because it looks like you sprayed it in your kitchen and I have never heard of any paint that you can spray inside without adequate ventilation. That could be pretty dangerous.

Also, it looks like you sprayed this on in very very heavy coats, that is why there are very large drips and runs. If you try this again, you should prep that surface first by scuffing and then an alcohol wipe down before beginning to spray. When you do spray, it should be layers of light coats with a little time in between for it to set up some. Don’t try and put it all on in one coat.

Sorry I don’t have info for you on how to remove the center knob, but wish you luck on getting this cleaned up and sorted out.
I did paint it in my apartment. I opened up all my windows and turned on all fans to make sure there was plenty of ventilation. I followed the directions on the can and they said 5 mins between coats. I will be doing it differently in any future projects though. Thank you for the tips!

OP
OP
Ydeeps

Ydeeps

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL