First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I've owned my Jeep for about 8mo now and finally decided to try manually shifting the auto. I drove it for an entire day to get used to it and see how it 'performed'. I was pleasantly surprised! The up/down shift was quick with very little delay from a pull/push of the stick. It was kind of fun, but honestly driving around town I don't think I'd have much need for it. Now I could see its uses on a trail if you are engine breaking or just want more control on climbs.

Just for reference I have a Corvette C7 and strictly drive it in manual/sport mode (paddle shifters) and the Jeep is WAAAAAY more responsive. There is about a 1sec delay in the Corvette with either an up/down shift so you need to shift about 500rpm early under full throttle. This actual shift is quick, but the delay of when you actually pull the paddle and when it shifts is not really acceptable for a sports car! I've gotten used to it, but I find it funny that the Jeep has a better shifting response over a Corvette.
Sponsored

zxd9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S, Bright White, Freedom Pkg
Yeah the only place I've really used my manual shifter is on a downhill trail where I wanted to control speed better. Worked well.

Zotch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Sport S JL
I used it on the initial drive home on the highway to vary the rpm’s. Worked well

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Try using it in 4lo w/ hill descent engaged, pretty cool being able to adjust your speed in .5mph increments :like:
The 8AT really is a kick-ass transmission.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
^^^ this!

I don’t feel the need to shift manually around town; the automatic is too smart, responsive and smooth for me to bother.

But is a great feature on the trail. When you engage 4L and manually shift into 1st and 2nd gears, it works like a crawl ratio!

MichaelAnthony

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLUR, 97 Centurion Dually 7.3, 97 Classy Chassis Dually 7.3, 2016 Ultra Classic CVO
Vehicle Showcase
I love the manual option, use it most of the time. Yes it is very responsive, I was impressed with a Jeep.
Sponsored