Sponsored

how to lock doors while inside?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
My 2020 Sahara lets me lock the doors from inside when I sleep in the back. With both fobs with me, unshielded.
Same here... with an unshielded fob...

My 2028 JL has proximity. I can be in the JL, turn it off, lock the doors with the door lock switch on the door .... and the doors and rear tail gate lock.

No one is able to walk up to the JL and open a door or the tail gate when I'm in there sleeping, etc..
Sponsored

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
I do not.
I was thinking hat would explain it but the post above this disputes that. Weird because I would think the proximity should in theory make that impossible. I have a 2020 Hellcat Redeye with proximity. Im going to try that out of curiosity.
Edit: Was able to lock it with the lock button and be inside with the fob w/o the vehicle running. As you were…

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, I have proximity entry, and just tested it. As long as you shut the door, then lock it, it works. If you have the door open, lock the doors, then shut, it says no very loudly and unlocks.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
I wonder why some JLUs are different? I experimented with this after coming back from the store earlier today. I parked in front of the house, turned off my wife's JLU, and hit the lock button on the door. The doors locked with me and the fob still inside. Then I unlocked them with the button, and hit the lock button on the fob. It also locked, and activated the alarm, while I was sitting inside it.
Once you locked the doors, unlocking them using any other means other than a) the unlock button on your fob or b) pulling on the handle (if you have proximity remote feature) will sound the alarm. What you described is as designed - imagine a thief sticking a coat hanger into your window and push the unlock button.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
You cannot lock the doors while you’re asleep in the back with the engine off. That’s the problem. You have to hide the key signal to get it to lock.
Apparently, yours and the OP's are the only two JLs like that. The rest of us can lock our doors from the inside with the engine off and the fob in the cargo area without any problem.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I was so glad to have this feature the other day. Locked the inside and realized I left the keys in the Jeep. It unlocked itself thank God,, cause my wife lost the spare key.

2019 2D JL sport s. no proximity.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You cannot lock the doors while you’re asleep in the back with the engine off. That’s the problem. You have to hide the key signal to get it to lock.
With my 2018 JL with proximity you can. I do so routinely..

I pull into a Rest Stop... turn off the JL and then push the lock button on the door just to assure all is locked.. Someone that then ... from outside.... that pulls the door or tailgate handle cannot open the door / tailgate.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once you locked the doors, unlocking them using any other means other than a) the unlock button on your fob or b) pulling on the handle (if you have proximity remote feature) will sound the alarm. What you described is as designed - imagine a thief sticking a coat hanger into your window and push the unlock button.
@rent

In regard to a JL/JT with proximity.....

To clarify your post..... once you lock with the FOB, opening with a key and not with the fob will set off an alarm...

IF you lock the door with a key, you can unlock any door/tailgate with a key or remote button push and not set off an alarm...

I'm also unclear in regard to your wording with this too....

Yes, indeed if you lock a JL/JT with the fob..... if the JL owner then tries to unlock the JL with his key, the alarm does sound.... BUT if you lock with the fob, you can yank on the door or tailgate handle and NO alarm sounds... again no alarm....

Yes ... with proximityl, if you pull on any handle you will light up/awaken UCONNECT... i.e radio and dash light up.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
@Rhinebeck01

In regard to a JL/JT with proximity.....

To clarify your post..... once you lock with the FOB, opening with a key and not with the fob will set off an alarm...

IF you lock the door with a key, you can unlock any door/tailgate with a key or remote button push and not set off an alarm...

>>> Yes that sounds about right. I think the confusion comes from the 16 combinations of locking / unlocking methods. So I made a chart. Disclaimer: This only reflects my understanding of how things work. I have not tested this.

Jeep Wrangler JL how to lock doors while inside? Screen Shot 2021-08-29 at 15.58.12

Sponsored

daviddarwin091

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
You can use portable door locks. This worked perfectly. I feel so safe and secure and it is do easy to use. It fit nicely on my door and i just put it on when im inside and take it off when im leaving.

Last edited:

SilentWorker

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Isn't it simpler to fix this problem so you can easily lock the doors? It can be seen that there is a problem with the locks of your car that should be fixed as soon as possible and then this problem will disappear. Security must always be in the foreground, and locks must always be repaired to work properly. I've been very secure lately. In addition to everything being fine with the locks on my car, I also changed the locks on my cupboards by modifying them with a smart locker lock that I ordered from elocker.com, and thus I feel much safer.

Last edited: