Sponsored

how to lock doors while inside?

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
How would I lock the doors from inside if I have the key inside with me and the engine isn't running? It just beeps at me and won't lock. I can manually flip the levers on the 4 doors but this won't lock the rear cargo door.
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

The lock button doesn't work when you are inside the jeep?

I know there are different settings in the Uconnect for door locks but can't remember them.

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
I believe that is to prevent you from locking your key inside your vehicle, perhaps in the pocket of a jacket you left on the seat, after you get out.

The key point (sorry for the pun) is that with the engine running, the Wrangler believes you are ready to drive off, so you can lock/unlock all you want. No engine, you are ready to get out.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
How would I lock the doors from inside if I have the key inside with me and the engine isn't running? It just beeps at me and won't lock. I can manually flip the levers on the 4 doors but this won't lock the rear cargo door.
If you have a base Sport with manual locks, you'll have to lock the cargo area from outside. If you have power locks, you can use the lock button on the door (not the fob). I was able to lock my wife's JLU this morning with us inside that way.

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I'll have to try this! If it works it would be very easy to do.
You might not have explained what you're trying to do in your original post. You can certainly lock the doors while sitting inside and the engine off. However, if you open the door, lock it and exit the vehicle with the fob left inside it will beep and unlock the doors. It's a safety feature so people cannot accidentally lock themselves out.

The foil trick should work in that scenario but be sure you have a backup key or subscribe the SiriusXM Guardian service, where you can use your phone to unlock it.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You might not have explained what you're trying to do in your original post. You can certainly lock the doors while sitting inside and the engine off. However, if you open the door, lock it and exit the vehicle with the fob left inside it will beep and unlock the doors. It's a safety feature so people cannot accidentally lock themselves out.

The foil trick should work in that scenario but be sure you have a backup key or subscribe the SiriusXM Guardian service, where you can use your phone to unlock it.
You cannot lock the doors while you’re asleep in the back with the engine off. That’s the problem. You have to hide the key signal to get it to lock.

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
You cannot lock the doors while you’re asleep in the back with the engine off. That’s the problem. You have to hide the key signal to get it to lock.
I wonder why some JLUs are different? I experimented with this after coming back from the store earlier today. I parked in front of the house, turned off my wife's JLU, and hit the lock button on the door. The doors locked with me and the fob still inside. Then I unlocked them with the button, and hit the lock button on the fob. It also locked, and activated the alarm, while I was sitting inside it.

Sponsored

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
My 2020 Sahara lets me lock the doors from inside when I sleep in the back. With both fobs with me, unshielded.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
When I travel I carry both keys and I keep careful control of them.

In May I took a solo trip and slept in the back of the jeep 6 nights. Each night I was way out there by myself so no worries about someone coming up on my and opening a door. But I might occasionally need to stay at a roadside rest stop or Walmart parking lot, someplace where I would want all doors locked. I forget how I tried it in May- I was in the back and tried locking the doors. The car beeped funny and wouldn't lock the doors. I don't remember if I was pushing buttons on the doors or on the fob.

slowpoke387

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 JLURXR Firecracker red
I wonder why some JLUs are different? I experimented with this after coming back from the store earlier today. I parked in front of the house, turned off my wife's JLU, and hit the lock button on the door. The doors locked with me and the fob still inside. Then I unlocked them with the button, and hit the lock button on the fob. It also locked, and activated the alarm, while I was sitting inside it.
Maybe you don't have the remote proximity package? I believe if not then this would be possible.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
When I travel I carry both keys and I keep careful control of them.

In May I took a solo trip and slept in the back of the jeep 6 nights. Each night I was way out there by myself so no worries about someone coming up on my and opening a door. But I might occasionally need to stay at a roadside rest stop or Walmart parking lot, someplace where I would want all doors locked. I forget how I tried it in May- I was in the back and tried locking the doors. The car beeped funny and wouldn't lock the doors. I don't remember if I was pushing buttons on the doors or on the fob.
@txj2go

I travel LOTS and carry 3 fobs with me.. (Yes, I have 3 fobs)

I keep the 2 I am not using in a couple of Faraday bags, stashed really well in the JL.

This brand.. the brand I use is excellent.... and the price is low low right now:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H1C21O2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1