How to cover back windows while parked.

GlitteryPonies

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
I work down a dusty gravel road and would like to leave my windows out while at work to easily drop the top when i leave. I want to keep the bugs and dust out of my interior. How do people cover their back window openings? I don't want to deal with pulling out and reinstalling the factory windows 2 times a day.

The attached picture is my temporary fix. I was thinking about buying some cotton fabric by the yard from wal mart and scotch briting it.

20180606_214400.jpg
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I work down a dusty gravel road and would like to leave my windows out while at work to easily drop the top when i leave. I want to keep the bugs and dust out of my interior. How do people cover their back window openings? I don't want to deal with pulling out and reinstalling the factory windows 2 times a day.

The attached picture is my temporary fix. I was thinking about buying some cotton fabric by the yard from wal mart and scotch briting it.

20180606_214400.jpg
Do you keep your Jeep parked in your garage or living room?

OP
OP
GlitteryPonies

GlitteryPonies

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
I am not following your comment. This picture was just me messing around with it at home. I park at work in a wooded area down a gravel road. Cars drive by all the time and there are dust clouds in the air.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I am not following your comment. This picture was just me messing around with it at home. I park at work in a wooded area down a gravel road. Cars drive by all the time and there are dust clouds in the air.
Sorry bad attempt at humor. If that’s your garage, well it looks nicer than my living room.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Hey Nick:

Here's what I propose.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy some black tarp, to match the soft top color, that's larger than needed. You'll need a good pair of scissors and a hammer as well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=black+tarp

Cut it to size, plus 4" bigger, on each side.

Once sized, fold it over twice, on each side, at 2" (a total of 4") and using your hammer and tools provided in the below linked 1/2" grommet kit, install grommets where you may have cut out the ones supplied in the tarp by bringing it down to your desired size.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=grommets

Don't leave the store without an abundant supply of ball ties to keep your device in place.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ball-stretch-cord-set-47302.html

Secure them between the tarp grommets and rig by pushing though the rope end of the ball ties through a gromment hole such that the ball remains invisible behind the tarp.

Wrap the rope around the top of the soft top hardware and say in the tub of the rig, for example, the torx bolts that connect a hard top to the tub (if you don't have a hard top the bolts are purchasable separately), and connect the loose end around the ball of the tie.

Viola. It will shield you when you're parked and keep dust out, and unlke the soft windows, not require removal to instantly bring the top from a closed/parked position to completely open state ready for the ride home!.

Good luck Nick!

P.S. Legal disclaimer: street legality may necessitate that in this configuration that you only ride with the top completely down, weather not withstanding, for visibility reasons. I suppose you could get around this with translucent plastic, but it's my opinion that such a design might look more like what someone does "after a motor vehicle accident but before collision work," if you get my drift.;)

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
He's saying he's never seen a garage with a finished interior... and neither have I.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Nick:

Here's what I propose.

Go to Harbor Freight and buy some black tarp, to match the soft top color, that's larger than needed. You'll need a good pair of scissors and a hammer as well.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=black+tarp

Cut it to size, plus 4" bigger, on each side.

Once sized, fold it over twice, on each side, at 2" (a total of 4") and using your hammer and tools provided in the below linked 1/2" grommet kit, install grommets where you may have cut out the ones supplied in the tarp by bringing it down to your desired size.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=grommets

Don't leave the store without an abundant supply of ball ties to keep your device in place.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-ball-stretch-cord-set-47302.html

Secure them between the tarp grommets and rig by pushing though the rope end of the ball ties through a gromment hole such that the ball remains invisible behind the tarp.

Wrap the rope around the top of the soft top hardware and say in the tub of the rig, for example, the torx bolts that connect a hard top to the tub (if you don't have a hard top the bolts are purchasable separately), and connect the loose end around the ball of the tie.

Viola. It will shield you when you're parked and keep dust out, and unlke the soft windows, not require removal to instantly bring the top from a closed/parked position to completely open state ready for the ride home!.

Good luck Nick!
I guess I need to second this... it's far better than anything I can think of.

txroamer

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK Wrangler (sold to nephew), 2018 JLUR, 2019 Ram 1500 Limited, 2018 Charger ScatPack 392, 2015 Grand Cherokee, 2016 Road Glide
Vehicle Showcase
one of these:
Cab cover.JPG

quadratec $34

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I have a better idea on my original one.

Also buy some clear plastic sheeting from a big box store with a thick mil that otherwise still provides non-opaqueness and plastic weld it with an iron and parchment paper (good YouTube videos on this) to the aforementioned black tarp to form “windows” consistent with the size of the factory windows.

The rest is the same.

The quadratec cover’s a great idea, especially if you don’t want the up front work or aren’t handy, but something tells me it may occasionally rain in your locale in ways that may prove inadequate for the top solely in sunrider position in a heavy windy rain and/or when the rig is moving in even regular rain.

Once set up though, there’s no quadratec cover to put on and take off, an action you/some may, or may not prefer to my hack.