how many 3.6 engine failures

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well we are crazy, that's true. But there's endless data to justify the position that the Wrangler is pretty low on the reliability spectrum. You don't have to go very far from where you are right now (back to this forum branch is all) to get that data.
"The plural of anecdote is not data"
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Well we are crazy, that's true. But there's endless data to justify the position that the Wrangler is pretty low on the reliability spectrum. You don't have to go very far from where you are right now (back to this forum branch is all) to get that data.
LOL no. I just come from the GM/Toyota world.

I'm sorry but the Wrangler is not remotely close to even the TOP HALF of the rankings when it comes to "most reliable new vehicles". Jeep as a brand ranks near the bottom and the Wrangler is not one of their best vehicles
GMC is near the bottom of most reliability ratings out there. You can’t decry Jeep citing rankings and ignore GMC is poorly rated while championing it.

Like Jeep, I’m a GMC fan. Recently bought one in fact. The build quality is no different than the Jeep and their forums are no different when it comes to complaints. People will believe what the want to believe.

Deleted member 59498

Yeah well even the car magazines admit that reliability is not always about reliability but poor scores because of the ride, solid axles not being what soccer mom/dad was expecting.

I have had zero issues myself along with hundreds of thousands of others.

But.... GMC not even on the list

Resale 2022
  1. Jeep Wrangler: 74.2 Percent Resale Value
  2. Toyota 4Runner: 63.4 Percent Resale Value
  3. Ford Bronco Sport: 57.8 Percent Resale Value
  4. Subaru Crosstrek: 57.2 Percent Resale Value
  5. Porsche Macan: 56.6 Percent Resale Value
  6. Ford Bronco: 55.7 Percent Resale Value
  7. Jeep Grand Cherokee: 54.0 Percent Resale Value
  8. Subaru Forester: 53.7 Percent Resale Value
  9. Toyota Highlander Hybrid: 53.4 Percent Resale Value
  10. Honda CR-V: 53.1 Percent Resale Value

These Two Vehicles Stood Above the Rest
Drumroll, please: The Jeep Wrangler once again takes the win as the Best Overall Value among all non-premium vehicles on the market. Among premium vehicles, the Lexus UX earned the title. Last year, its larger sibling, the Lexus NX 300h, took home this award.

Best Overall Value Popular Vehicle: Jeep Wrangler/Wrangler Unlimited
Best Overall Value Premium Vehicle: Lexus UX

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
GMC is near the bottom of most reliability ratings out there. You can’t decry Jeep citing rankings and ignore GMC is poorly rated while championing it.
Wut.

All four GM brands have been top ten in quality since the late 00s.

And subjectively, I dunno man, but if you can sit in a Sierra, and then a Wrangler, and say with a straight face that the Sierra isn't on a whole different level then there is something not right in your head. And even then, just open the hood of both vehicles and look at how each automaker chose to lay everything out. I mean I know confirmation bias is never more prevalent than on automotive forums but if you claim that you love both Jeep and GMC then bias should not be an issue.

I on the other hand don't love GMC (or Chevy or Buick or Cadillac). I just have continued to stick with GM brands because of my near perfect experience with them. I actually LIKE my Wrangler better than my Tahoe or the Silverado i'm soon going to trade it in on...and it's really kind of hard to love any automaker that produces vehicles like the current Blazer and the former GTO, etc. I mean yeah great engineering great quality but holy crap what a snooze. That said, i'm not delusional...there's no comparison when it comes to quality.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Do you know what anecdote means?
Yes, do you? It seems not because an anecdote is a short story and there is nothing short about the stories of problems with the Wrangler.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Wut.

And subjectively, I dunno man, but if you can sit in a Sierra, and then a Wrangler, and say with a straight face that the Sierra isn't on a whole different level then there is something not right in your head. And even then, just open the hood of both vehicles and look at how each automaker chose to lay everything out. I mean I know confirmation bias is never more prevalent than on automotive forums but if you claim that you love both Jeep and GMC then bias should not be an issue.

I on the other hand don't love GMC (or Chevy or Buick or Cadillac). I just have continued to stick with GM brands because of my near perfect experience with them. I actually LIKE my Wrangler better than my Tahoe or the Silverado i'm soon going to trade it in on...and it's really kind of hard to love any automaker that produces vehicles like the current Blazer and the former GTO, etc. I mean yeah great engineering great quality but holy crap what a snooze. That said, i'm not delusional...there's no comparison when it comes to quality.
GM’s aging pushrod engine in their trucks is one of the best ever built, no doubt, but their transmissions are the worst in America. The MYC transmissions are complete trash. Trust me, their huge moneymakers for us, and I own one.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Yeah well even the car magazines admit that reliability is not always about reliability but poor scores because of the ride, solid axles not being what soccer mom/dad was expecting.
One thing people also never mention with these lists is demographics. Toyota owners are generally older and fiscally responsible. While Jeep as a brand has a wide customer base, Chrysler/Dodge/Ram have always been attractive to people with low credit. Nissan/Kia/Hyundai are in the same boat. One thing I learned working for tips in the past, which many people in the service industry echo, is that the worst customers are often the loudest customers. I don't doubt this is the same with the auto industry. I'm not a Kia or Hyundai fan but I'm confident half of their issues are because of the customer base their price point attracts.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
And subjectively, I dunno man, but if you can sit in a Sierra, and then a Wrangler, and say with a straight face that the Sierra isn't on a whole different level then there is something not right in your head.
Absolutely I could say with a straight face nothing about the Sierra is on a different level. It has more technology, sure. More important than anything, since 2019, the Ram 1500 has widely been considered best in class and has stole more of GMC/Fords market share than ever before.

Wut.

I couldn't care less what these charts say. However, for all you talk about data, you provide none and no data supports your claim. Thanks for confirming "people believe what they want to believe".

2019_jdpower_dependability_report.jpg

23586.jpg

960x0.jpg

2021010a.jpg

197205_upload_2020-11-19_13-14-4.png

CRBrandStackUp2022.jpg

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
GM’s aging pushrod engine in their trucks is one of the best ever built, no doubt, but their transmissions are the worst in America. The MYC transmissions are complete trash. Trust me, their huge moneymakers for us, and I own one.
That was ONE transmission. And it was a disaster, you aren't wrong. But it had a relatively short life (in both senses of the phrase lol).

Hey man don't get me wrong, i'm not remotely trying to claim that GM vehicles don't have problems. They definitely do. But if there's one thing i've learned from venturing outside of the "safe and smart" vehicle zone is that problems in the FCA world take on a whole different meaning than they do in the GM/Toyota world. If that infamous GM 8-speed tranny blows up you'll be in a loaner or a rental for 4-5 days while the dealer swaps it out for the new revised model. When you get that "pull over vehicle will shut off soon" in your Wrangler you'd better be prepared to be without your vehicle for a month or more, and don't expect any help from FCA. It's a very stark difference in both the types of issues and how the dealer/automaker handles it.

GM goes out of its way to fix problems (they are STILL covering AFM failures on 12+ year old vehicles for example), while FCA goes out of it's way to weasel out of even honoring its own warranty.

Last edited:

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Absolutely I could say with a straight face nothing about the Sierra is on a different level. It has more technology, sure. More important than anything, since 2019, the Ram 1500 has widely been considered best in class and has stole more of GMC/Fords market share than ever before.
LOL Consumer Reports. You gotta be kidding me dude - Consumer reports evaluates dishwashers.

2022071a.jpg

2021066a.jpg

2020070a.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL how many 3.6 engine failures {filename}

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
Way to hijack a thread guys!
What does any of the last 2-3 pages have anything to do with the 3.6L Pentastar?
Maybe take it private?