modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Hi

Currently has 2k# pop-up camper to tow behind my jlus, I feel no pressure to tow but still lack of freedom to speed and manuver
I don't have trailer brake or sway control for this light trailer, it is legal to do so in Ontario but it is still a 2k# weight.
In a gusty day the trailer still gonna sway when speed over 100kmh, or will sway no matter what weather after speed 120kmh, when trigger by a highway bump. And brake obviously will be heavier.
So it is still a towthing to worry about while driving, even it is well under rated capacity, and wife don't feel comfortable take over the wheel too, which add to my fatigue or long trip.

Can a tear drop be a tow like nothing option?
Like seriously hardly feel it, no sway, so wife and i only should worry about parking but not driving.
Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
Trailer sway typically comes from an improperly balanced load. For example, if you have too much weight behind the trailer axle you will get sway. 60% of the weight should be in front of the trailer axle. Try moving some of your gear forward and see if that helps.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
The design of a trailer will also affect how easily it sways.

Pop ups usually have smaller tires with a narrower axle and all the weight up above. The box is wider than the axle.

Teardrops tend to have larger tires and a wider axle relative to the box.

There are many variations of both designs but I think it likely a teardrop will tow better, in most cases. You can probably find a seller who will let you test tow one to confirm.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Trailer sway can be a real issue-the tail can wag the dog. Have you tried any type sway control? A simple friction bar should work for something as light as you are towing, and will make a big difference.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I tow a teardrop with my 2 door JL. Ive loaded it up to 1700lbs. Towa like nothing. No sway. No issues picking up speed great maneuverability.
Sponsored