Sponsored

How much weight can a 2DR Jeep Wrangler 2.0T tow?

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 2 doors soft top 2019
I’m seeing too many sources that says 2000lbs and 3500lbs.
I have a boat that weighs about 3500lbs.

the registration of the vehicle says that it can tow a trailer with brakes that weighs~3500lbs and without brakes ~1700lbs

but I want what it is safe for the vehicle and the engine

this is the boat that I want to tow:
Jeep Wrangler JL How much weight can a 2DR Jeep Wrangler 2.0T tow? 3A52DEA7-1BBF-43A9-88B9-5EA92E35F203
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jimbits78

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR
2 doors are 2000lbs and 4 doors are 3500lbs.

Trailer brakes won’t make a difference unless you install a brake controller or the trailer has surge brakes.

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 doors are 2000lbs and 4 doors are 3500lbs.

Trailer brakes won’t make a difference unless you install a brake controller or the trailer has surge brakes.
I saw this from another thread it says 3.5
Jeep Wrangler JL How much weight can a 2DR Jeep Wrangler 2.0T tow? F6C98DFA-B9C7-46F9-A9AA-C6901C5C2781

and regarding the brake systems of the trailer, it is per law here 😓

Jimbits78

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR
Jeep Wrangler JL How much weight can a 2DR Jeep Wrangler 2.0T tow? F6C98DFA-B9C7-46F9-A9AA-C6901C5C2781

I was referring to the fact that the trl brakes won’t activate unless you have a brake controller installed or they are of the surge brake type.

And I’m not sure where those number were quoted from but throughout the JL’s existence 2 doors were always a 2000lb rating.

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The 2dr JL is 2000lb max. The rating for 2dr is often confused with the 4dr, which is higher.

FYI, you will also see that the JL has a higher tow rating in Europe. This is because in Europe, all vehicles with a trailer have a speed limit of 43 or 50 MPH. It's a different approach to safety than the US. The US reduces weight not speed, Europe reduces speed not weight. What you can't do is have a European weight trailer travelling at US speed limits.

So technically speaking you can tow 3500lbs in a JL 2dr but you must never go over 50 MPH. However that is illegal in the US, likely because they know damn well we won't keep it under 50 MPH.

OP
OP
SariK

SariK

First Name
Sari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The 2dr JL is 2000lb max. The rating for 2dr is often confused with the 4dr, which is higher.

FYI, you will also see that the JL has a higher tow rating in Europe. This is because in Europe, all vehicles with a trailer have a speed limit of 43 or 50 MPH. It's a different approach to safety than the US. The US reduces weight not speed, Europe reduces speed not weight. What you can't do is have a European weight trailer travelling at US speed limits.

So technically speaking you can tow 3500lbs in a JL 2dr but you must never go over 50 MPH. However that is illegal in the US, likely because they know damn well we won't keep it under 50 MPH.
Yeah I live in Israel, so I think I could tow more than 2K lbs according to law but, I wanted to make sure it safe for a 2dr Wrangler

LawrenceR

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
I'm a little confused by the answers you were given, wasn't your original question "... but I want what it is safe for the vehicle and the engine."

The "braking" is the "shallow end of the pool", yes it is part of the answer, after all, you want to be able to safely stop, however I believe your real question was what was going to be hard on the engine, transmission and safely travers those twisty 'two lane roads' to the lake without risking dumping the rig, boat and family down the hill.

Regardless of whatever you are towing, my advise is to stay within or under the weight limits of your vehicle, the closer you are to the top end of the scale, the harder it is on your vehicle.

It's all cause and effect, more weight means more stress. More stress on the transmission could cause it to burn out, likewise the braking system.

Remember, it's not the weight of the boat and trailer, it's the weight of the boat, trailer, vehicle, ice chests, people, fuel, everything.

I can't tell from the photo you supplied, it looks like a "in board / out board", meaning the engine is inside the boat and the drive system (prop) is outside. This is very similar to the boat I own.

I also own a 2-door, mine is the Willys with manual transmission. I opted for the Willys because it comes with larger brakes, I also opted for the tow pkg. I understood that I would not be towing a 6000lb travel trailer, but hoped I could take my 18' runabout to the lake.

Towing my 18' runabout to the lake is possible, but I would do it with caution, not on a regular basis, this is what my full sized truck is for.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Every European country has their own specific speed ratings. And rarely, if ever do they follow anything even remotely close to those speeds. It isn't abnormal to see station wagons towing a 5k-7k travel trailer all the time on the highways and much faster as well. All over Europe.

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
The JL 2-door is tow rated for 2,000 pounds. The JL 4-door gets the 3,500 pound tow rating.

Trailer brakes are not considered in Jeep’s JL towing capacities.

Sponsored

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
The 2dr is not going to tow very well due to the wheelbase. I’d error on caution and drive extra slow with lots of room even if it says 3500 on your tag. My 2dr is 2000lbs with the 3.6l Surprised the 2.0 gets more when, imo, it’s the wheelbase not power plant making it unsafe.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I'm fairly positive that the 2 door had a towing limit of 2,000 pounds. I'm a little surprised that @JAY hasn't updated that post.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The 2dr is not going to tow very well due to the wheelbase. I’d error on caution and drive extra slow with lots of room even if it says 3500 on your tag. My 2dr is 2000lbs with the 3.6l Surprised the 2.0 gets more when, imo, it’s the wheelbase not power plant making it unsafe.
This. Short wheelbase and heavy trailer is a good way to have the tail wag the dog-a rather “exciting” experience. Regardless of what local laws say you can’t change physics. That puppy starts to sway and you’re in a Very difficult situation. Be VERY careful!

Symore

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ 2023 Jeep Rubicon on order
The JL 2-door is tow rated for 2,000 pounds. The JL 4-door gets the 3,500 pound tow rating.

Trailer brakes are not considered in Jeep’s JL towing capacities.
That document is dated from 2017. It might be for the JK models.

OSCAR II

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKF
This. Short wheelbase and heavy trailer is a good way to have the tail wag the dog-a rather “exciting” experience. Regardless of what local laws say you can’t change physics. That puppy starts to sway and you’re in a Very difficult situation. Be VERY careful!
Absolutely, going back to the JK's and early JL's. Frame height and gage, one of two diffs, one of two engines and one of two transmissions. But that short wheelbase stability.
Sponsored