How is the ESS?

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Congratulations & welcome to ESS HELL. can't say I didn't warn any of you cause I wasn't here when you join. Matter of fact I left soon after finding out the "new" wrangler had the ESS system on it. Deal Breaker if you ask me. When I told my wife about your comments, she said "You can't get rid of ESS, you can only get rid of the jeep" so good luck hearing car horns honking behind you when you can't get it started again.
You can a) push the button and turn off ESS. b) Trick the system with a trailer plug on the harness. c) buy an ESS eliminator device when it releases.

Trailer plug trick and pushing the button are the easiest.

No so difficult.

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Congratulations & welcome to ESS HELL. can't say I didn't warn any of you cause I wasn't here when you join. Matter of fact I left soon after finding out the "new" wrangler had the ESS system on it. Deal Breaker if you ask me. When I told my wife about your comments, she said "You can't get rid of ESS, you can only get rid of the jeep" so good luck hearing car horns honking behind you when you can't get it started again.

oh please, the dramatics are killing me....go home clown.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Seriously? This is what you and your wife talk about? Discussions you've read about ESS on Internet forums? That's really sad.

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
Congratulations & welcome to ESS HELL. can't say I didn't warn any of you cause I wasn't here when you join. "Matter of fact I left soon after finding out the "new" wrangler had the ESS system on it. Deal Breaker if you ask me. When I told my wife about your comments, she said "You can't get rid of ESS, you can only get rid of the jeep" so good luck hearing car horns honking behind you when you can't get it started again.
I thought you left after finding out the new wrangled had ess on it.

20180222_061302.jpg

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
When I'm sitting at a traffic light, drive thru, traffic jam, etc. I envision myself holding a gallon jug of gasoline that I just paid $3 for and pouring it slowly into the cylinders....while I sit there going no where. That thought alone haunts me and makes me wish I had ESS.

I've gotten to where I manually shut my engine off in a lot of cases these days. For my next Jeep, I will purposefully look for the ESS feature. Saving money > Spending money

OP
OP

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
When I'm sitting at a traffic light, drive thru, traffic jam, etc. I envision myself holding a gallon jug of gasoline that I just paid $3 for and pouring it slowly into the cylinders....while I sit there going no where. That thought alone haunts me and makes me wish I had ESS.

I've gotten to where I manually shut my engine off in a lot of cases these days. For my next Jeep, I will purposefully look for the ESS feature. Saving money > Spending money
some people argue that its more wear on your car. Yeah the manufacturer can beef up the components to better handle the increased wear/stress but guess what? Those beefed up components cost more money so I don't know how much you're really saving in the end

RonH

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-150, 2018 Granite Crystal Metalic JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired AF, Now Field Engineer / Site Manager
Vehicle Showcase
You can a) push the button and turn off ESS. b) Trick the system with a trailer plug on the harness. c) buy an ESS eliminator device when it releases.

Trailer plug trick and pushing the button are the easiest.

No so difficult.
Exactly. I really, really don't like the ESS, but c'mon...how hard is it to push a second button after you push the start engine button...

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
Exactly. I really, really don't like the ESS, but c'mon...how hard is it to push a second button after you push the start engine button...
some people argue that it's more wear on your finger/arm. :)

cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
It's like a fly in your cab, you forget about it until it's in your face. Then you hate it!

Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
Excessive idling can be harmful as well.

And why is that JT fella so mad? Goos-frah-bah Goos-frah-bah

pkvir

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Doesn't bother me....I thought it would.

Cwu21

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have only experienced ESS on our 16 Malibu and my Sisters 17 GC and a short Test Drive on a JL Sport. The start stop doesnt bother me, but what bothers me about it is when the engine shuts off the A/C compressor shuts off and while the A/C will still continue to blow any extended stop it starts to blow hot air. I am not sure if that is a setting some where, and if it is I havent found it. It does that on both vehicles the GC and Malibu. Now being in Southern CA and East San Diego my Summers tend to stay in the 100+ range so when it starts blowing hot air that is no bueno. The big key is that option to shut it off that the JL/GC have. I wouldnt touch ESS if it didnt have that option like my malibu.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Agreed. Not that ESS is perfect...but its surprising on nice 70 degree days seeing several cars at a prescription window windows up engines running. 5-10 mins easy. Plenty of times I manually start stop.

Had ess on rentals a decade ago and wasnt that annoyed with it. Never had it on my car but driving my MT is something you get used too and Im sure ESS is too.
Sponsored