Sponsored

How hard to change a steering box?

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
No. My replacement did not show such signs. Almost sounds like steering damper is not centered correctly. Can you post a picture of your steering linkage? Another thought is they did not reprogram after box install which some people here have seen issues with.
Here you go! Let me know if those work :fist bump:
Also, before the steering gear update they changed my steering damper and that was fine. Then fast forward to today, the steering gear was updated. Everything else is bone stock

Jeep Wrangler JL How hard to change a steering box? Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 5.06.21 PM

Jeep Wrangler JL How hard to change a steering box? Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 5.06.03 PM
Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Update: Just got it from the dealer after having them change the steering gear for TSB update

Steering feels loose when turning the wheel to the right and feels tight when turning steering left.

The manager mentioned it might be a bad steering gear or either needs to be 'broken in' -_-

Anyone experience this after updating your steering gear? Perhaps they didn't tighten something all the way or is loose?
I had the exact same issue when I had the updated steering box installed. I immediately called the dealership when I got home and took it back the following day. It ended up being a bad steering box new out of the box. After the 2nd replacement Iā€™ve had no issues since. Iā€™m sure you know but make sure they apply the new computer flash too.

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
I had the exact same issue when I had the updated steering box installed. I immediately called the dealership when I got home and took it back the following day. It ended up being a bad steering box new out of the box. After the 2nd replacement Iā€™ve had no issues since. Iā€™m sure you know but make sure they apply the new computer flash too.
I also recently had the steering box replaced/updated, TSB. The steel one is much improved over the previous aluminum box. I was having wheel dead space and wandering, so it seems to have been greatly reduced. They also replaced the pitman arm and aligned it, so it now drives much better and straight. Do you think upgrading the oem LCA's to the Mopar (2" lift kit) set is recommended?

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
I also recently had the steering box replaced/updated, TSB. The steel one is much improved over the previous aluminum box. I was having wheel dead space and wandering, so it seems to have been greatly reduced. They also replaced the pitman arm and aligned it, so it now drives much better and straight. Do you think upgrading the oem LCA's to the Mopar (2" lift kit) set is recommended?
Do you have a lift installed? Wheel and tire specs? What is your Tire pressure?

Willys_Wonka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUW
Do you have a lift installed? Wheel and tire specs? What is your Tire pressure?
No lift and I'm still using the original OEM wheels. Once the warranty is up, I'll probably make some lift modifications and bigger tires.

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
No lift and I'm still using the original OEM wheels. Once the warranty is up, I'll probably make some lift modifications and bigger tires.
With the low cost and ease of instill don't think it would hurt to try the longer lower control arms. Any idea what your current caster is?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
What is the torque on the pitman nut?
Hopefully, this member got the answer elsewhere, but I thought I'd post the answer for others. The pitman arm nut gets torqued to 184 ft/lbs. Don't skimp on the torque. It will come loose. Ask me how I know.
Update: Just got it from the dealer after having them change the steering gear for TSB update

Steering feels loose when turning the wheel to the right and feels tight when turning steering left.

The manager mentioned it might be a bad steering gear or either needs to be 'broken in' -_-

Anyone experience this after updating your steering gear? Perhaps they didn't tighten something all the way or is loose?
I had my steering box replaced last spring. I did note that the pitman arm nut was loose a few weeks ago. I went around and torqued all the fasteners I could find related to suspension and steering. It steers very nicely. But then even with the pitman arm nut loose it was steering nicely.

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Wow this gives me a ton a hope. Thank you.
I have a road trip from San Diego to Utah in 3 weeks and would hate to postpone it šŸ˜¢
Will be taking it back in on Monday to the dealer šŸ‘

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Wow this gives me a ton a hope. Thank you.
I have a road trip from San Diego to Utah in 3 weeks and would hate to postpone it šŸ˜¢
Will be taking it back in on Monday to the dealer šŸ‘
Keep us updated.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
I purchased the box myself and had my local Jeep dealer install to make sure the reprograming was done, since I could not do this myself. The probability of a bad box is non-zero, I have read in this forum many posts about dealerships swapping but not reprogramming. If you know your rig well, you know they reprogrammed as you can hear the pump running louder/more often at slow speeds. Make sure they reprogrammed.

Sponsored

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Update to my update:

Turns out it was a bad steering gear and dealer replaced. It feels/turns great!
A bit more responsive compared to when I had the old aluminum one.
What would I do without this Jeep community :fist bump:
Iā€™m glad that they found the problem and weā€™re able to fix it for you. Itā€™s definitely a great Jeep community.
Sponsored