How to tighten steering.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
They do read the posts but give blanket statements. There is a fix to the steering problem but you have to have a dealer willing to do it. They don’t make money doing warranty work and will simply say it’s a Jeep thing which by reading a lot of these posts people begin to believe. As far as mods on a Jeep, a large percentage of owners buy the Jeep because it has more mod capabilities than any other off-road vehicle. Mine for example, I’m running 37’s and when they wear out I’m going to 40’s, that’s where the RCV axles and PSC and steersmart steering upgrade come into play. Finally, when it comes to $$ I fully understand how companies operate for profit. I’m a operations analyst for large municipality and manage 10’s of thousands of farmland. Lol... I recommend anyone with the steering issue to take the motor trend article to their dealer. Have an awesome weekend!!
The quality in a company shows in how they resolve a problem. Let's go Jeep!
Thanks for your post.
Sponsored

swissspeed

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu unlimited and 2020 rubicon 2 door
The quality in a company shows in how they resolve a problem. Let's go Jeep!
Thanks for your post.
Can you provide a link to the article I can find it.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Can you provide a link to the article I can find it.
Hi swissspeed,

I'm looking for a solution. I've tried everything I've found on this forum and the gladiator forum to attempt to resolve our steering/wandering issue.
I don't know how to answer your question. I haven't found a solution. Frankly I'm concerned.

There was a reference to an article in Motor Trend. Here's a link:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-valve-tuning-pump-calibration-changes.53885/

that does me no good. I'm looking for a correction or fix for the wandering in our 2019 JLU.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hi swissspeed,

I'm looking for a solution. I've tried everything I've found on this forum and the gladiator forum to attempt to resolve our steering/wandering issue.
I don't know how to answer your question. I haven't found a solution. Frankly I'm concerned.

There was a reference to an article in Motor Trend. Here's a link:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-valve-tuning-pump-calibration-changes.53885/

that does me no good. I'm looking for a correction or fix for the wandering in our 2019 JLU.
Have you tried this yet? https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...as-play-and-drifts.3691/page-405#post-1132084

Sponsored

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
So, here’s how I see it... my jlur has 37 ko2’s as well. I’ve been running 28 psi. They are wearing the way they should. The guys that run 37-40 psi will simply have bald tires in the middle and nice lugs on the outside... let’s face it, we’ve all seen those tires around....
The debate is the drifty steering. Mine is way less drifty at 28psi then it was at 37 when I picked up the Jeep. I will say I do notice a “sloppy” spot in the steering. I also notice with the slightly wider axles that the Jeep tracks in The ruts on the highways where the big rigs run... some of the drifting does depend on the road, and of course the wind...
I put the spring cup fix in for the Bow in the Mopar coils, and surprisingly saw improvement on the drift...
The dealership never aligned it when they put the lift on, they lied about that one...
The alignment helped as well...

Bottom line is, if you want to go with the door sticker and run 37-40 psi like your driving around a super duty, then don’t complain about drifting.... air your tires down and try it before being skeptical! You might like how it drives!
There are a few things that can be done that will help a great deal...
I run 26-28 psi, on a flat road, on a windless day, the jeep tracks like a train, dead straight untill it runs out of road.

Given any wind at all, or given the slightest tilt in the road, and I have to counter steer a bit.

Sadly, Jeep JL steering threads always go way off track, and wander all over the topic, it is impossible to steer the thread to any useful conclusion, and the forum mods can only say "It's a Jeep Thing". :P

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I run 26-28 psi, on a flat road, on a windless day, the jeep tracks like a train, dead straight untill it runs out of road.

Given any wind at all, or given the slightest tilt in the road, and I have to counter steer a bit.

Sadly, Jeep JL steering threads always go way off track, and wander all over the topic, it is impossible to steer the thread to any useful conclusion, and the forum mods can only say "It's a Jeep Thing". :P
I'm glad yours works well for you.
However, ours doesn't. And many others don't.
We've tried lower tire pressure. We have two sets of factory rims; one set has brand new snow tires on it, start of last winter. So its not a rim or tire thing with ours.

Jeeper Fever

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2-Door Manual JLR
I'm glad yours works well for you.
However, ours doesn't. And many others don't.
We've tried lower tire pressure. We have two sets of factory rims; one set has brand new snow tires on it, start of last winter. So its not a rim or tire thing with ours.
Yea, it's bonkers. I get the feeling that the new design is too hard to calibrate properly, hence the funky steering, and the wild variability from Jeep to Jeep, which is just bizzare.

For whatever it might be worth, my steering has no play at all, one eighth inch movement of the steering wheel in either direction will, ever so slightly, send the Jeep in that direction, gradually.

Lower tire pressure will only help if your steering box is ok, and your trackbar is properly mounted.
I do run around at 80-85 mph on 26 psi, for hours at a time, so lower pressure in the mid twenties is no hazard, which is most of what I can contribute. The dealership tire pressure is set from the factory at 50 psi, to prevent a flat spot from developing during shipping, and the dealers never bother to lower it.

The whole system is just not right, to be working so well for some and so badly for others, with no clear cause or cure. The factory and engineers really need to get a handle on this.

Good luck on trying to get it fixed, it's hard nut to crack.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Yea, it's bonkers. I get the feeling that the new design is too hard to calibrate properly, hence the funky steering, and the wild variability from Jeep to Jeep, which is just bizzare.

For whatever it might be worth, my steering has no play at all, one eighth inch movement of the steering wheel in either direction will, ever so slightly, send the Jeep in that direction, gradually.

Lower tire pressure will only help if your steering box is ok, and your trackbar is properly mounted.
I do run around at 80-85 mph on 26 psi, for hours at a time, so lower pressure in the mid twenties is no hazard, which is most of what I can contribute. The dealership tire pressure is set from the factory at 50 psi, to prevent a flat spot from developing during shipping, and the dealers never bother to lower it.

The whole system is just not right, to be working so well for some and so badly for others, with no clear cause or cure. The factory and engineers really need to get a handle on this.

Thanks so much.
I look for the simple things first. remember KISS principal? (Keep it simple stupid!)
Our Jeep is amazing. I love it. It has amazing features. I'd love to tour the factory; Brampton factory tour would be fun!
But steering sucks. And our dealer was shut down, doors locked from the beginning of Covid19. Then sign goes up--dealership sold!The people there are excellent and were scared they had no job.
Yesterday we had a tornado watch. Today we had flooding. Better half was out in the JLU. Flooding? No problem!
Thanks for your comments. They help. Glad to meet you here!

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

I'm an old mechanical engineer.
What I've bolded tells me lots and helps. Shows: the engineering is sound. The problem lies in either the quality of supplied parts, or the way they are installed.
For instance if say 30% of steering boxes are bad, or installed badly, then the steering will be affected in all those jeeps.
After all for so many to be happy with their JL(U) steering means that on those vehicles Jeep got it right.
Just a thought.
Hope JEEP fixes ours fast. Come on JEEP CARES!

amnesiac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S
I ended up doing another very small adjustment to the steering box on Monday.

The dead spot is almost non existent. I love the way it steers now 100x better than when I first got it.

The steering wheel feels a bit “heavy” at this point but in a good way. Finds center just fine.

I am done messing with it at this point.

Good luck to everyone else still working on fixing their issues.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I ended up doing another very small adjustment to the steering box on Monday.

The dead spot is almost non existent. I love the way it steers now 100x better than when I first got it.

The steering wheel feels a bit “heavy” at this point but in a good way. Finds center just fine.

I am done messing with it at this point.

Good luck to everyone else still working on fixing their issues.
Thanks! Did yo have bump steer as we do going over railway tracks?