Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Excluding the JLT (i.e. the Scrambler or Pick up truck) for the moment, I noticed in videos how the back side windows on this new model now get removed on their own, apart from the hard top. Does this mean the hardtop is now one long piece with the rear tail gate attached? And does this rear tail, dare I say, fold (when stored or not) completely on top of the hardtop thus creating something resembling a flat piece when the hardtop is stored away from the vehicle? Does the side window separate removal make the hardtop easier/lighter to remove?
Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Excluding the JLT (i.e. the Scrambler or Pick up truck) for the moment, I noticed in videos how the back side windows on this new model now get removed on their own, apart from the hard top. Does this mean the hardtop is now one long piece with the rear tail gate attached? And does this rear tail, dare I say, fold (when stored or not) completely on top of the hardtop thus creating something resembling a flat piece when the hardtop is stored away from the vehicle? Does the side window separate removal make the hardtop easier/lighter to remove?
The back windows only come out on the power sliding top. The actual roof does not remove on that version.

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you're referring to this video, this is the power sliding soft top (not the freedom hard top) that I'm removing the window panels from.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Thanks for the clarification. I WAS referring to that video Jay but hadn't realized it featured the power sliding top because from the side the vehicle looks like a hard top given that this hard framing forms the structure within which the sliding top operates.

I guess this means that the operation of removing/reinstalling the hardtop is likely to remain the same in the JL as the JK.

Gascap9000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jeep wrangler
what top option does the rubicon have?

I am really hoping we could remove the side windows for the rubi.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
what top option does the rubicon have?

I am really hoping we could remove the side windows for the rubi.
I will be shocked if the Rubi does not have the Power Slider top as an option. It will NOT be cheap! :surprised: As far as I know the soft top has removable sides but only the Power slide top has the hard top type removable sides shown in video above.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
1 wheel drive technically unless the locker is on.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
It would be interesting at some point down the road, to have available hard panels that fit in place of the power sliding top section. Then you could have a truly modular hardtop, kind of like some of the modular hardtops we saw earlier this year in drawings/animations. In this case the hardtop upper panels could be removed, along with rear and rear-side panels if desired. That could all easily be done by one person. And then if desired, the user could also remove the remaining hardtop frame, for a full open top experience. Although probably leaving the frame on will be ok for many persons, as that would give a decent open top experience. I originally thought based on earlier mockups, that Jeep was headed this direction for a modular hardtop.
Sponsored