Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I'm not sure if there's little market demand for this or that no good product has come along to address it, (or the 1st fuels the 2nd) but baring this

are there other hard top removing devices that you can take with you?

Although light weight it seems it bit cumbersome to not only put together and deconstruct, but use.

Patents notwithstanding, I'm kind of surprised that little hitch based product seems available to do this. Clearly, hitch cranes are nothing new but ones adapted to the Wrangler seem lacking.

I mean sure, you could probably stick a Top Lift pro on a hitch platform that might be designed to hold, say, a gear box, but this otherwise very capable hard top lifting product doesn't exactly have off road wheels.

I think something like this, only that attaches to the hitch is what I envision:

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
A come along, three 6' straps (2 for the top and 1 to go over the limb) and a sturdy tree limb.

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
A come along, three 6' straps (2 for the top and 1 to go over the limb) and a sturdy tree limb.
For sure Joe as to your suggestion; serious. A Wrangler owner is nothing but part "McGyver."

But in a rocky and desert terrain we might find lugging the artificial tree to do this a hassle. ;)

elf883

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JlU
Occupation
stationary engineer
I'm not sure if there's little market demand for this or that no good product has come along to address it, (or the 1st fuels the 2nd) but baring this

are there other hard top removing devices that you can take with you?

Although light weight it seems it bit cumbersome to not only put together and deconstruct, but use.

Patents notwithstanding, I'm kind of surprised that little hitch based product seems available to do this. Clearly, hitch cranes are nothing new but ones adapted to the Wrangler seem lacking.

I mean sure, you could probably stick a Top Lift pro on a hitch platform that might be designed to hold, say, a gear box, but this otherwise very capable hard top lifting product doesn't exactly have off road wheels.

I think something like this, only that attaches to the hitch is what I envision:

the lift that uses the tire as mounting point -- GENIUS i would also say hitch mounted would have been more genius but wow - who sits around thinking this crap up !! i have to say jeepers are smart as sh@#. bravo - now i will be up all night looking to make one hahahah great

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
the lift that uses the tire as mounting point -- GENIUS i would also say hitch mounted would have been more genius but wow - who sits around thinking this crap up !! i have to say jeepers are smart as sh@#. bravo - now i will be up all night looking to make one hahahah great
do search here; used advanced search and set the date way back in the search parameters; you'll find more on the subject....

OP
OP

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
  • Banned
I've often wondered if something couldn't be "jury rigged" to lift a hard top wherever your JL is parked, from a hitch crane like this:

Jeep Wrangler JL Portable Hard Top Removal 1601992543899

..and some sort of "T" shaped device that sits between the crane on the top of the back of the hardtop, where the horizontal leg of the letter "T" sits closer to front of the back portion of the hard top.

The ability for the crane to angle high enough to tower over the back of the hard top, and the boom being long enough to reach a position near the center of gravity of the back of the top might be issues.

One could replace the sliding portion of the boom with a longer piece of rectangular tubing need be. I can't imagine that the reduction in weight that the crane could safely hold as a result of such a change would be much of an issue given that the rear of the hard top is about 100 pounds.
Sponsored