Sponsored

How do you start a class action lawsuit?

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Anyone here with a legal background who can give some advice?

How exactly does one go about starting a class action lawsuit?

This would be regarding FCA advertising and charging people for a Uconnect system containing Off-Road Pages and then disabling them after delivering the vehicles and owners having used them for a number of days.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...t-the-off-road-pages.4775/page-23#post-103454

Or do you think it would be better for everyone to file individual lawsuits instead of one class action?

The only just solution is for every 2018 MY customer to receive a software update as soon as possible (it's not good enough to have to wait until next year for it either) that restores the Off-Road pages FCA advertised and accepted money for.

P.S. How can we ensure that Canadian customers aren't left out in the cold either?

marchionne.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

@JeepCares
Sponsored

momo1315

I'm interested, one of the main reasons I ordered the upgraded display was for the offroad pages. My Rubicon is still being built but I do feel salty about this decision.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think it might be a little premature to start a lawsuit at this time. Lets give them a chance to do the right thing first. Itā€™s only been a couple of days. The decision makers probably arenā€™t even aware of it yet. But they should be by the middle of next week. Thereā€™s still a chance that this is all a big misunderstanding and that it will be fixed ASAP. But if not, sign me up!

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I think it might be a little premature to start a lawsuit at this time. Lets give them a chance to do the right thing first. Itā€™s only been a couple of days. The decision makers probably arenā€™t even aware of it yet. But they should be by the middle of next week. Thereā€™s still a chance that this is all a big misunderstanding and that it will be fixed ASAP. But if not, sign me up!
Nothing wrong with some lawsuit talk to encourage the necessary VIPs to do the right thing as quickly as possible. :)

Sponsored

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Not sure how ā€œfinalā€ the decision/published specifics about the decision is, but if as final as it seems to be, there will definitely be some significant backlash. Iā€™d be a part of the reaction for sure. Would love to have what I paid for.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
It might not be possible for them to include it in an update, somehow.

If that's the case, I think those of you that spec'd the pricier infotainment partially because of it deserve at least a couple hundred bucks each back. If FCA was decent they'd admit the snafu and at least give out MOPAR accessory gift certificates or something.

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
It might not be possible for them to include it in an update, somehow.

If that's the case, I think those of you that spec'd the pricier infotainment partially because of it deserve at least a couple hundred bucks each back. If FCA was decent they'd admit the snafu and at least give out MOPAR accessory gift certificates or something.
Or the chance to return and wait for the next ;)

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I agree. But we donā€™t yet know what the real problem is. There are lots of possibilties. One is that this is simply a marketing decision and thereā€™s no technical problem at all. In which case reversing it would be trivial (technically). Another is that thereā€™s a serious bug somewhere that they donā€™t know how to fix and by removing the feature entirely theyā€™ve given themselves a year to fix it. We just donā€™t know. But we do deserve an explanation. And some compensation if there is no fix forthcoming.

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Or the chance to return and wait for the next ;)
I think there'd be a zero percent chance they'd go that far for one missing software functionality feature. And frankly it's an excessive think to ask for, imo. Not having ORP is not the end of the world, but I think monetary compensation of part of the upgrade price is fair for everyone.

merciles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Have been thinking about the same thing the past few days. When I took the Jeep for the test drive, the salesman made a point to pull up the ORP and scroll through them, hyping up the feature.

A couple of days later I was showing the Rubi to a friend and went to show him the ORP feature and of course it was gone.

So it literally was active and part of the sales pitch before the transaction and removed after the purchase.

If they don't make this right and anyone is able to initiate a class action, I'd definitely sign on.

BillArnett

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think the best thing any of us can do right now is to talk in person to our dealship. I did that on Friday. They were unaware of the problem. And they promised to find out what they could and get back to me. Fair enough. They have a LOT more leverage with FCA than we do. The more of us that get our dealers to complain to FCA the better. Letā€™s see what they come up with.

Strifehero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
I think there'd be a zero percent chance they'd go that far for one missing software functionality feature. And frankly it's an excessive think to ask for, imo. Not having ORP is not the end of the world, but I think monetary compensation of part of the upgrade price is fair for everyone.
Yes, of course I was joking. Pointing subtley at the less than ethical treatment we see renewed daily from FCA after the confirmation of the insanely successful release and demand that ensued for the JL. Price increases, shifty destination fee gouging, far-from-transparent expectations for order details, etc. No reason to assume nor expect decent/upright treatment whatsoever, in my opinion. Weā€™ll be without the pages and told to buy a ā€˜19 (or ā€˜20 if they canā€™t get it right by then) or to take a hike is my sincere and best guess.

I LOVE my JLUR and am thrilled to own it. But if it were a less passionate product I would have more than happily backed away. But Iā€™m a Jeep guy and this isnā€™t the worst part of being a Jeep guy.

My#8andlast

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
We will get the off road pages on the 8.4. They've already been on all of our Jeeps but removed because of accuracy issues. They are in the 2018 owner's manual and quick reference guide. I got confirmation from my dealer, what a lot have heard, it's coming in an update. I called before going to the dealer and was passed back and forth 6 times between Jeep and Uconnect. They didn't even know WTF I was talking about. Kept asking about the "switch below the A/C controls" you don't have them. Yea, I have the lockers, this is a $%#&@ icon on the touch screen! Anyway, we'll get it, they have to provide it.

On a separate note, the ones that do display are awesme. Tells you which way your wheels are turned with out a spotter! Can't wait for the big screen.
Sponsored