Sponsored

How do you start a class action lawsuit?

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Nobody wants reimbursement. They just want an update that restores the pages that the previous update disabled.
If that's not an option, which it seriously might not be, would you hate getting a reimbursement in return? That's assuming FCA doesn't laugh off this whole request.

Is it even possible to file a class-action lawsuit seeking a software update, and not just compensation?
Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Being in the software business myself, I would assume they had some technical issues and missed the release deadline. Rather than starting a lawsuit, I would talk to the dealer to have him upgrade the vehicle's firmware free of charge once the update becomes available.

If that's the problem I'd like FCA to tell people so. If they did, with promises of rectification and dates, I'd agree desert runner that litigation would not only be premature, but likely seen by the courts as unfounded in FCA's favor. Mistakes are inevitable and acceptable: especially in a new release, but owning up to them is also part of the process, no?

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
If that's not an option, which it seriously might not be, would you hate getting a reimbursement in return? That's assuming FCA doesn't laugh off this whole request.

Is it even possible to file a class-action lawsuit seeking a software update, and not just compensation?
The whole point of the lawsuit, from my perspective, would be to get FCA to back down and issue the software update. The only thing that matters to me would be a software update. Can a judge force them to issue an update, or would the compensation necessarily have to be monetary?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I can tell you, as a licensed attorney, that a class action lawsuit only makes money for the attorneys. The clients are usually left with a coupon or an extremely small settlement but rarely do they force the manufacturer to correct something that isn't a safety issue. As others have pointed out that same information is available on the dash display.

I think you would be better advised to start a web page with this information and then post it all over social media to start getting a bunch of views and see how the corporate entity responds.

Good luck.
Class actions are the most efficient way of taxing an already overburdened legal system when a bunch of legal entities (In this case UConnect JL Owners) suffer equal damages from a common cause. Yes, the attorney's make money but at least the fees are regulated by the courts, not the attorney's themselves. The litigants often can't afford the high prices of moving forward individually with the very case that, granted, if pursued individually *might* grant them a larger settlement.

As you can appreciate TampaJL, these aren't the kinds of cases lawyers are apt to take on contingency.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
If that's the problem I'd like FCA to tell people so. If they did, with promises of rectification and dates, I'd agree desert runner that litigation would not only be premature, but likely seen by the courts as unfounded in FCA's favor. Mistakes are inevitable and acceptable: especially in a new release, but owning up to them is also part of the process, no?
Right because nobody on this forum hasn’t been trying to beat that same damn idea into the OPs thick skull....

Sponsored

malogos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR, 2018 BRZ tS
I'd really like for Jeep to tell us what the problem is, if for no other reason than so we can see how it can be fixed at a later date.

But if they refuse to ever do that, I'm totally on board with this.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I think it might be a little premature to start a lawsuit at this time. Lets give them a chance to do the right thing first. It’s only been a couple of days. The decision makers probably aren’t even aware of it yet. But they should be by the middle of next week. There’s still a chance that this is all a big misunderstanding and that it will be fixed ASAP. But if not, sign me up!
I get the let's not rip their heads off on a new product release mentality, I really do.

(Class actions often don't to that. They often just motivate companies to do the right thing because it gets them to see they're fighting two battles, one money, one public relations: which equates to money.)

But I think that attitude needs to be counterbalanced with the fact that when a company goes public with information that they are delivering less than promised after sale, that at the same time, plans are divulged or how they plan to remedy that---or at least that they will remedy that by such and such a date.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I get the let's not rip their heads off on a new product release mentality, I really do.
The saddest part about this is that it's an entirely self-inflicted wound. Nothing good will come of this for FCA. If I was Sergio I would seriously fire whoever made this decision immediately.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The saddest part about this is that it's an entirely self-inflicted wound. Nothing good will come of this for FCA. If I was Sergio I would seriously fire whoever made this decision immediately.
Do you really think, with all that he has to deal with in a day, that this situation even garners 1 second of his thoughts? Maybe it gets fixed. Maybe it doesn't. You can jump up and down and scream all you want. It won't change a damn thing.

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Right because nobody on this forum hasn’t been trying to beat that same damn idea into the OPs thick skull....
Correct Nate, nobody yet mentioned that they might have been less pissed if FCA had announced plans to remedy this situation at the same time as they announced cancellation of this feature...so I thought I would....

yes....to quote you.... ."Right.......because nobody on this forum hasn’t been trying to beat that same damn idea into the OPs thick skull."

except I don't think the OPs being unreasonable...you're free to feel differently...

Sponsored

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
The whole point of the lawsuit, from my perspective, would be to get FCA to back down and issue the software update. The only thing that matters to me would be a software update. Can a judge force them to issue an update, or would the compensation necessarily have to be monetary?
FCA might want you to "back down", and not try to demand an update which might not be possible. You don't appear to be a software engineer, and boiling this down to "issue an update" is probably too layman a solution. That software could've been removed because it simply wasn't ready, and was rushed, incorrect, or caused major system problems or security risks. The thing that matters to you might not be a feasible reality.

I HIGHLY doubt a judge could "force an update".

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'd really like for Jeep to tell us what the problem is, if for no other reason than so we can see how it can be fixed at a later date.

But if they refuse to ever do that, I'm totally on board with this.
FCA has responded that it will not be a part of the 2018MY, it will not be updated, but it will be put into the 2019MY. You have your answer. Now go get an attorney to see if you even have a case or STFU about it.

My God it is not this difficult. You think you have a case go for it. Bitching, pissing and moaning on this forum is not going to change a friggen thing. So either STFU and take the next step or let it go FFS.

OP
OP
BillyHW

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Do you really think, with all that he has to deal with in a day, that this situation even garners 1 second of his thoughts? Maybe it gets fixed. Maybe it doesn't. You can jump up and down and scream all you want. It won't change a damn thing.
The Lancia Ypsilon launch is keeping him too busy to care about Jeep's reputation?

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
FCA might want you to "back down", and not try to demand an update which might not be possible. You don't appear to be a software engineer, and boiling this down to "issue an update" is probably too layman a solution. That software could've been removed because it simply wasn't ready, and was rushed, incorrect, or caused major system problems or security risks. The thing that matters to you might not be a feasible reality.

I HIGHLY doubt a judge could "force an update".
I agree Ryan, software patches may not solve this as another contributor pointed to. But if it can be fixed with software, excellent precedent does exist in getting judges to do the very thing you express concern over making happen.

Judge to Microsoft: "So can you get your browser to NOT appear by default in your operating system even if its underlying code is integral to the operating system's behind the scenes functioning?"

Microsoft: "Yes"

Judge: "Well then its' solved."

Disclosure: paraphrase, not actual words spoken