First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Im thinking of opening mine up to lower the ambient temp since I now have OBA mounted under the hood.
Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Im thinking of opening mine up to lower the ambient temp since I now have OBA mounted under the hood.
Good point. Forgot I have a compressor in there it would be nice to keep a bit cooler!

Might be doing this before the Texas heat settles in…

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Good point. Forgot I have a compressor in there it would be nice to keep a bit cooler!

Might be doing this before the Texas heat settles in…
I mean I COULD just open the hood when Im airing up but I set up my compressor so that I dont have to. On/off switch is #3 Aux and hose coupling is on front bumper. So it only makes sense to vent the hood. No?

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I mean I COULD just open the hood when Im airing up but I set up my compressor so that I dont have to. On/off switch is #3 Aux and hose coupling is on front bumper. So it only makes sense to vent the hood. No?
I have to open the hood every time, but it’s always so darn hot, even after street driving, that I hate doing it. Now that I have extras I would prefer not to damage I might give this a shot.

Not sure if the 2.0L runs hotter than the 3.6L, but it’s definitely hotter than the 3.5L in my Tacoma and the 3.8L in my old JKU.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I’ve had an arb twin by the steering shaft next to the exhaust for about a year and a half. Now I did add an exhaust shield, but I’ve had no problems with it at all

That’s what I do out of necessity as my connection is under the hood. It helps me slow down and usually a good time to walk the car over and make sure nothing is broken before getting back on a fast road.

Sponsored

BeachPilot74

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR, 2013 F-F150
Occupation
Airline Pilot
Obviously, they are installed for looks. The drain holes are not for cooling, but rather to remove the water puddling in the vent assemblies on the hood. I have them on both my JKR and JLR. I live in hot as hell Arizona, and our Wranglers do not have engine cooling systems that over heat. But I do maintain them. Several have reported opening up the vents, to allow under hood heat to escape. But most of them have said, that it does not cause the engine cooling to run any cooler. Also consider, most of our hoods get dirty pretty quick. So now it rains and washes that dirt mud onto the engine. Also your engine is very hot at operating temperature. In comes cold rain water, dumping in a very hot engine. I for one don’t want this happening to mine. What I do is, during the hot Summer months, when I return to my home garage, I open the hood to release the heat. I do this primarily for the battery, wiring harnesses, hoses and belt.
Better not ever drive your Jeep in the Rain then, or through a puddle or even through a deep water crossing!! I mean, cold water hitting a hot engine. . BAD!! Wonder why Snorkels are made, Or how about the actual water diversion system in the 392. Jeeps are made and tested to Forde water up to 30"' deep. . Although you would think that what you said makes sense, the Jeep is made to take this abuse. I dont know anybody that has had problems with the engine because some cold water got on it.

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Probably. Also I bet there is a slight reduction in mileage. I suspect that the air entering the hood vents is now being directed out the side vents, and that the radiator isn't getting as much flow... but it's probably no worse than adding a winch.

I've always thought the vents are semi-functional, in that they do let out some heat... or at least more heat than if it was a solid hood (think how a heat shield works). Jeep probably had their reasons for not opening them up (warranty, mileage), but gave us an easy option for modding. I just wish they sold a hood liner conversion or something similar.
Not sure if this is helpful, I noticed over the winter when I had a thin layer of icy snow on my hood that the areas on and around the vents melted before the rest of the hood.

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired Fuzz/Hobo/Will work for Whiskey...
I’ve seen a video where a guy took his hood mat off and opened the hood vents. My question is why aren’t they truly functional to begin with? My mother-in-laws Durango has fully functional and open hood vents. I’m just curious as the the point of the insulation mat and vents that only direct water.
Hood Vents.jpg

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've been contemplating doing this but I noticed and tested at work when air flows through my grille it vents via the side vents in the fenders this is engineered for this purpose. My friends are cut and when we did the same fog test there was mass turbulence and air wasn't passing in the same dynamic. We have been considering a CAI only because when you open your hood you will notice the airbox is open at the top however mostly sealed off to the hood pulling air from a very small area and the bottom via the duct in the grille. What we decided to do was cut the hood and add the Mopar side vent which would add that opening for air intake then change the filter leaving everything else stock.

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
I've been contemplating doing this but I noticed and tested at work when air flows through my grille it vents via the side vents in the fenders this is engineered for this purpose. My friends are cut and when we did the same fog test there was mass turbulence and air wasn't passing in the same dynamic. We have been considering a CAI only because when you open your hood you will notice the airbox is open at the top however mostly sealed off to the hood pulling air from a very small area and the bottom via the duct in the grille. What we decided to do was cut the hood and add the Mopar side vent which would add that opening for air intake then change the filter leaving everything else stock.
Hey Joshua, thanks for the in depth testing, I was a little curious about the air flow.
Honestly speaking, I only cut the vents open so when I crawl in the heat there is extra heat dissipation at the low speads. Now, whether this is actually helping, not sure but while stationary, I can actually see the heat waves coming out the vents so I am hoping it helps a little.....

Sponsored

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
With out a doubt it helps we can see the heat disapate while parked or in low rpm. Our only question was at speed will we loose aerodynamics, but I wouldn't sweat it cause the side vents are minimal. I think the addition of the iron rock vents or similar mod to increase flow is by far a great idea. We will be doing more testing soon. Right now we're looking for a part # just for the Mopar side vent.

Hey Joshua, thanks for the in depth testing, I was a little curious about the air flow.
Honestly speaking, I only cut the vents open so when I crawl in the heat there is extra heat dissipation at the low speads. Now, whether this is actually helping, not sure but while stationary, I can actually see the heat waves coming out the vents so I am hoping it helps a little.....

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
With out a doubt it helps we can see the heat disapate while parked or in low rpm. Our only question was at speed will we loose aerodynamics, but I wouldn't sweat it cause the side vents are minimal. I think the addition of the iron rock vents or similar mod to increase flow is by far a great idea. We will be doing more testing soon. Right now we're looking for a part # just for the Mopar side vent.
That's awesome, please keep me posted!!

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Will do, just looking for another Mopar side vent, if anyone has dibs on one let me know.

That's awesome, please keep me posted!!
Sponsored