Sponsored

Opening up Rubicon hood vents

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
Has anyone tried to open up the hood vents on the Rubicon? I know they are supposidely "funcional" to allow heat to escape, but a bunch of us had great success modding our JK Hard Rock hood inserts to really open them up for real breathability.

Anyone try yet? I see the insulation will have to be pulled down to access, but it didn't seem to be a big task while I was looking at a Rubi at the dealer last night. PS: My Rubi is on order, so I was just looking for information for when I do receive it. I loved this mod on my JK.

Thanks.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kadonny

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The first question I would ask is, do the vents NEED to be opened up more?
Lots of good info on this at the other Jeep forum about underhood heat, temperature, heat soak etc. when it was studied on the JK. I'd link but not sure it's allowed. I would assume the same applies to the JL since it's the same powerplant in many JLs (Pennastar). Cooler air is always better air.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
The JL engine is similar to the JK but the engine bay, including cooling is certainly different. I personally wouldn't go hacking open vents that are designed the way they are for a reason without a proven need to do so. Obviously you can do as you like but I would rather have a good reason to do so.

OP
OP
Kadonny

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The JL engine is similar to the JK but the engine bay, including cooling is certainly different. I personally wouldn't go hacking open vents that are designed the way they are for a reason without a proven need to do so. Obviously you can do as you like but I would rather have a good reason to do so.
I guess, I forgot about the new side fender vents that supposidly vent the engine compartment better. I still might open them up. Beyond the functionality of the cool air, there is nothing that looks as sweet as sitting at a light on a cool morning and seeing those heat waves rise out of the hood.

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired Fuzz/Hobo/Will work for Whiskey...
Just used a Dremel to cut the bottom piece of plastic off the vents and a sharp knife to cut the hood insulation. Easy peasy.

Hood Vents.jpg
Sponsored