Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
I also fixed the issue with the battery terminal underneath the vent.

I just removed the battery and ECM…. Easy Fix and helped saved some more weight.
1E1DA34B-97E2-4F9E-A1E1-ADAF14F4E0C2.jpeg
Lol, good one, let us know what you came up with regarding the battery. And please share a few pics of your hood blackout.
Sponsored

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Retired Fuzz/Hobo/Will work for Whiskey...
Ok, being intrigued by what I could do to ‘’fix’’ the fake vents problem, I looked into it and did a thing.

First, I pulled the vents and liner out and studied them. I found that they are both designed to direct water towards the outside of the vehicle.

So I decided to open up not the bottom, but only the sides of the vents that are towards the inside. Then I cut openings in the liner and was careful to leave enough bottom rib to direct the water as it was intended. So if any water gets in, it will be directed in the channel as its supposed to.

In the attached pics, you will see exactly what is directly under the vents, the way I cut the vents and liner. I put a little flash light to show how it opened everything up quite a bit. It is functional enough to make a sheet of kleenex dance as the heat comes out once parked after a ride.

cheers.

DC04A0E6-F7C9-492A-B061-B2B128C4D465.jpeg

77FE8F91-AC19-4832-A8FD-9DC77E71B31E.jpeg

086317B2-5332-4085-8488-9CB0714F9B4D.jpeg

AEC1EF62-5EB9-4FB6-844E-24A3CE945002.jpeg

E5936B8C-707C-444C-A62D-DCBD1C80ABCC.jpeg

DId pretty much the same thing. Helps overall engine cooling.
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubi hood vents, I did a thing… Hood Vents
Not worried about the elements, no difference between water coming through the vents or driving in the rain or through washes and rivers.......

OP
OP
Steph1

Steph1

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU , Audi Q5
Wow, and water does obviously fall on the battery cause it seems like the cleanest part of your engine compartment 🤔 and no problem whatsoever??? How long have you been running it like that ?

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Running it for almost 2 years now. No hint of any issues.

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Forgive my noobness when it comes to this, but do these things really generate that much heat that would require venting like it was a high performance V8? Or is it just a result of poor cooling? Or a combo of both?

I've never had any problems with previous vehicles in regards to heat dissipation whether they were high performance engines or vanilla 4, 6 and 8's. 🙃
I think anything you can do to help cool the engine while you are crawling around in the heat is definitely a good thing.

Sponsored

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Could you fix your post? What you wrote in response to the quoted post falls within the quote, so it's a bit hard to follow, not to mention it can't be quptrd/replied directly if it is inside a reply/quote to another post.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
Forgive my noobness when it comes to this, but do these things really generate that much heat that would require venting like it was a high performance V8? Or is it just a result of poor cooling? Or a combo of both?

I've never had any problems with previous vehicles in regards to heat dissipation whether they were high performance engines or vanilla 4, 6 and 8's. 🙃
A vehicle's cooling system is designed around the factory specs of the vehicle. Jeeps tend to get heavily modified. Bigger tires, bumpers, a winch that may impede air flow (depending on your bumper choice) etc... all add to additional strain on the cooling system. Then put that Jeep in a wheeling situation where air flow is completely dependent on the fan and ambient temperatures are high and that strain is further enhanced.

Can the factory system keep up with all that? - probably but its working harder. We are all modifying our Jeeps to perform better so why not reduce engine temps to help the cooling system as well.

This is why we designed our JL .H.E.R.O. Hood to remove as much heat as possible from the engine bay while preventing water from getting on any components and true cold air intake functionality so that the engine can breathe the freshest air possible.

Runngun18

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon JL
Occupation
I totally agree, heat is always the enemy and builds up fast while crawling. I would love a hood like the hero but just cant afford it so I did the next best thing. As I said before, I have not had any issues with water, but then again, I don't get much rain where I live.

Hood Vents.jpg

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
I totally agree, heat is always the enemy and builds up fast while crawling. I would love a hood like the hero but just cant afford it so I did the next best thing. As I said before, I have not had any issues with water, but then again, I don't get much rain where I live.

So if by some freak chance (hypothetically speaking) you get caught in the rain, what have you done to mitigate water falling on the negative battery terminal?

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I don't get much rain where I live.
But when it does rain, it really rains hard.

So if by some freak chance (hypothetically speaking) you get caught in the rain, what have you done to mitigate water falling on the negative battery terminal?
I wouldn't care about water on the terminals, that is harmless. Water in the engine bay is going to be more of a nuisance issue than anything.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
@Canjeeper

The sides of each vent also allow a tad of air flow.. Fender vents do help too, but those fender vents do not provide all that much venting either..

So, probably combo hood vents and fender vents thwart hood flutter on a JL/JT that you see on a JK.
Or possibly the metal hood latches instead of the rubber ones on the JK

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Or possibly the metal hood latches instead of the rubber ones on the JK
@jeepingib

It's a combination of lthe new style latches and the 2 vents, that have the JL not having the hood flutter that the JK can exhibit... DO watch the video I linked to earlier in this thread. Jeep designer mentions talks of this.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Another vote here for calling the hood vents functional, but I think there purpose is for heat dissipation rather than airflow (and they probably aren't very effective in original configuration, but I'm sure Jeep knew that people would modify these anyway).

Think of the hood as a giant heat shield... and the vents are areas are where the heat shield isn't present. If there was metal underneath the vent, then I would consider it to be fake. The increase in heat transfer rate is what makes them functional in my opinion.
Metal under the vent, like the aluminum that the top of the noise damper is lined with? Guys, in the factory application of this design there is really no way for a substantial difference in heat to be vented out of these fake vent hoods, vs a sport hood.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
@jeepingib

It's a combination of latch and vents that have the JL not having the hood flutter that the JK can exhibit... DO watch the video I linked to earlier in this thread. Jeep designer mentions talks of this.
So guys installing the JL latches on JKs to fix hood flutter must be a coincidence? I find it more likely that they didn't implement the vents fully after the design team put them in a spot where they don't work as well. But initially engineers okayed the idea of functional hood vents. But everyone makes fun of non functional vents, so they had to us PR speak to say they offer some functionality.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I have mine trimmed the same as this and been that way since new in 18. Rain does not short automotive DC batteries, and everything under the hood is already sealed with weatherpack style terminals. Electrical stuff is not going to be more effected by this than by driving through a beating rain.
Sponsored