Hitch Bike Rack recommendations?

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
I’m looking to get the 1up rack attach since I have a rubicon and it looks like it does clear the spare. Just wondering why you ordered the large vs medium? Thanks for the photos and info.

Was simply a case of "Go big or go home", it fits on the JLU, and if I decide to pull the trigger on a Sprinter one day, it will also fit on that. Plus it gives a little extra room when opened out...

IMG_1220.JPG
Sponsored

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
Tried to get the 1UP Equip-D Double, but looks like a 8-12 Week wait currently. I went with what I felt was the next best choice and I really like it - Kuat NV2 Base. First use Memorial Day ...
Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? NV2

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
I started with a Yakima swing out model on my truck that cleared the tailgate and does the same for the rear of a jeep. Now with the carbon frames I have as well as the new mountain bike, I prefer to use the Saris Superclamp 4 bike. I first used it with an 8 inch extension but couldn't use the tailgate unless the rack was empty. I've since changed to a 4 inch double hitch that use inverted so the rack is lower. This allows the rack to tilt down out of the way of the door. ....and to make it even cooler, I swapped out one bar to a tray that will hold my Yeti cooler.
Pic one: first set up while doing cycling event support.
Pic two: current set up with rack and two bike trays.

Do you mind sharing details about what all you had to do here with your hitch to make this happen? I'm looking for something on my 4xe that will utilize the hitch to allow me to (1) carry a Thule or similar swing away 3+ bike mount and also get a storage platform like you achieved (for my daughter's wheelchair).

I went to pick up the Thule yesterday and it will need an extension. I'm thinking you are achieving what I need with your hitch setup but I am not certain exactly what it is! Thank you in advance!

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Was simply a case of "Go big or go home", it fits on the JLU, and if I decide to pull the trigger on a Sprinter one day, it will also fit on that. Plus it gives a little extra room when opened out...

IMG_1220.JPG
This is great info, glad I found it! Do you think the passenger swing would work and allow both the gate and rack to swing open? besides all the weight being on the passenger side can you think of any other negatives to this arrangement?

Kent

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
This is great info, glad I found it! Do you think the passenger swing would work and allow both the gate and rack to swing open? besides all the weight being on the passenger side can you think of any other negatives to this arrangement?

Kent
Apologies for the late response, the only hiccup I can think of is if your spare tire impedes full extension.

Sponsored

Billet4xe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 4xe
Tried to get the 1UP Equip-D Double, but looks like a 8-12 Week wait currently. I went with what I felt was the next best choice and I really like it - Kuat NV2 Base. First use Memorial Day ...
Did you have to use and extension in order to clear the spare tire?

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Apologies for the late response, the only hiccup I can think of is if your spare tire impedes full extension.
Much appreciated, order placed (large, driver)!

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I bought a 1UP USA 2 bike rack, they’re top quality but pricey. Order it from them directly and ask for reversed side plate. It’s not a catalogued item. I found out about the side plates after I bought the rack and installed them afterwards. No extension needed and you can fully open rear after you lower rack into loading position. Now I bought it for my sons JK w/33” tires, so not sure if your planning on larger tires, then you might need an extension.
Hi,
That’s awesome that the reverse brackets don’t require an extension. I was looking to buy a RakAttach but was concerned about the impact to tongue weight of using extender/swing (apparently it reduces tongue weight by 50%). I the tailgate can be opened w bikes off that’s great.
When bikes r loaded does the first bike touch your spare?

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’ve started looking into this as well. I got a family of four so feel like I need a four bike option. I hear people say the tray style are nicer than the ones where they hang on the frames but my issue is the 4 bike tray style stick out so dang far. I am considering these two options right now:

1) Thule Apex XT Swing 4
Thule Apex XT Swing 4 | Thule | USA

2) Yakima FullSwing
FullSwing – Yakima

A third one I thought about was the Lolo rack but it would not have the swing away feature. It does have a tilt feature though. It's more expensive and might require a hitch extender (I feel like another member put this on their jeep. I'll try to tag them @01tj to verify. . I've also wondered if I could pair the Lolo rack with a swing out hitch from another company or if that might have too much tension on the swing out hitch since it's a vertical bike rack.

Lolo Racks The best vertical 6 bike rack!

Would maybe pair this rack with one of the following:

Pivot v2 Hitch Rack | Küat Racks | Bike Racks (kuatracks.com)

or

RakAttach – 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE (1up-usa.com)

edit* Per the Lolo rack website, you need approximately 12” of clearance from the hitch pin hole for the rack to be set in it’s fully upright position. I think my 4.5” backspacing wheel is just a tad too large and would interfere without any type of extension. The swing extension would probably fix that but then again, not sure the Lolo rack is meant to handle being swung out like that under full load.

Edit 2: I spoke with the folks at LoloRacks and you can custom order a receiver tube that is 4" longer and will clear stock tires and in my particular case (since I asked) it would clear my 315/70/17 Toyo Open County RTs. They don't recommend putting this rack on a swing extension but it can be lowered down to the ground for tailgate access.
You probably purchased a rack by now but for what it’s worth the Thule apex swing is a great option. A bit of a challenge to load 4 bikes (especially if you don’t want them to ding each other) but it’s worked great for the past 5 yrs!
I’ve bought higher end bikes so im looking for a platform style bike rack but my Thule apex is still ol’ faithful.

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Depends on the type of bikes, 4 DH bikes could be over 160 lbs, 4 Tri bikes could be less than 80, I have a Thule rack and they tell you how much the rack will support, just be careful adding extensions and all that as the extra weight will be a factor. Most reputable bike rack companies will have extensions available or at least maximum lengths. If you dont add too much it will be fine, just dont buy a cheap rack add an extension to it and then put 4 40lb DH bikes on it and expect it to be OK.
Personally I’m struggling with the rule of thumb that hitch extensions reduce tongue weight by 50%. Most racks require an extension to clear spare on wrangler. That would bring tongue weight to 175lbs! With a 4 bike rack that leaves no lbs for the 4 bikes!
It’s tough being a fam of 4 in a wrangler…lol

Sponsored

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Did the guys at 1up recommend the driver side swing for wrangler? I keep wanting to keep it all on the same side so driver side is clear of obstacles, but even my current Thule apex swing keeps the tailgate from opening all the way.
opens enough to utilize my tailgate table though. Not sure how much I’ll be able to open tailgate with bikes loaded if I go with passenger side rack attach and 1up super duty double rack

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Kent
Hi Kent,
Did you end up ordering passenger side RakAttach?

o||4xe||o

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe
Hi Kent,
Did you end up ordering passenger side RakAttach?
I went with the driver side to rule out any possibility of interference with the tailgate swing/access and to avoid loading up all the weight on one side when open.

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I went with the driver side to rule out any possibility of interference with the tailgate swing/access and to avoid loading up all the weight on one side when open.
How do you like it (driver side) so far? Any regrets? Do you have larger (than stock) spare and did you install relo kit to move spare up a bit?

jlur_2019

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
How do you like it (driver side) so far? Any regrets? Do you have larger (than stock) spare and did you install relo kit to move spare up a bit?
I forgot to ask. What configuration of the 1up did you install? 2,3 or 4 bike rack?
Sponsored