Hitch Bike Rack recommendations?

JMoore

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I have a Swagman 4.0. It was a little pricey but I like the option of either a two bike or four bike rack. And I use a 12” extension to clear my spare tire.

48DADED6-1E1A-4477-9648-E7A3BBE0C1BD.jpeg
Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
One thing to consider is the type of bike you want to carry and the type of rack - hanging a $10k carbon road bike from the top tube and driving on dirt roads will not be good for your bike. The racks that are 'tray' type that both tires are supported are best for high end frames and/or long trips on dirt roads. I have a Thule T2 Pro XT and it is strong.
Agreed - same with my carbon road bike, although my $110 or so Nashbar 2 bike tray carrier works well enough (had that before the carbon bike, which was <$3k).

OP
OP
coldstart

coldstart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps are shit. Like their owners.
Occupation
Space Cadet
I need to read the entire thread because i'm in the market for a new rack. I have a yakima fourtimer and the spare sticks out far enough to impede on the bike in the first slot. that was when I had 33s but now have moved to 35s so I can only carry 3 bikes now without the extension. OEM hitch.
I've decided on the 1UP rack with the reversed plates. Will order once I take delivery of my Jeep.

Mattk11

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLU Rubicon
Are you referring to this one? Model S645? Interestingly, Amazon's "vehicle fit" tool says it doesn't fit my 2020 Jeep Wrangler but I know it's not the most precise tool. Looks good for the price. Do you have a link for the exact one you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C45IBCS/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Jeep|42&Model=Wrangler|356&Year=2020|2020&ie=UTF8&newVehicle=1&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

No that’s not it. The one I ordered was $259 and on prime. It folds down so you can open the tailgate. I’ve hung my carbon bike on it for over a years and across country with no issues. No scratches either.

Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Racks for 2 in. Hitch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N8VJPTP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_44GbGb2AS492V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Sponsored

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
No that’s not it. The one I ordered was $259 and on prime. It folds down so you can open the tailgate. I’ve hung my carbon bike on it for over a years and across country with no issues. No scratches either.

Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Racks for 2 in. Hitch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N8VJPTP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_44GbGb2AS492V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks. Just purchased this one. Looks like it will fit my needs perfect. I don’t have carbon bikes so no worries there.

Edit: ended up canceling my Amazon order before it shipped. Still pondering other options....

Last edited:

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey

TexMedic

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, 1979 CJ5
I started with a Yakima swing out model on my truck that cleared the tailgate and does the same for the rear of a jeep. Now with the carbon frames I have as well as the new mountain bike, I prefer to use the Saris Superclamp 4 bike. I first used it with an 8 inch extension but couldn't use the tailgate unless the rack was empty. I've since changed to a 4 inch double hitch that use inverted so the rack is lower. This allows the rack to tilt down out of the way of the door. ....and to make it even cooler, I swapped out one bar to a tray that will hold my Yeti cooler.
Pic one: first set up while doing cycling event support.
Pic two: current set up with rack and two bike trays.

MVIMG_20190629_190007.jpg

PXL_20210119_001329441.jpg

Fibernatics

First Name
Ler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
Thanks for this thread! I actually planning to replace my Rooftop bike rack I bought here https://www.mopargenuineparts.com/sku/tcfkm526ab.html. Too many problems like vertical clearance and my garage clearance. Hassle to disattach. So yeah I'm selling it for a cheaper price and will buy a hitch-type bike rack. For what it's worth I own giant propel road bike and trek xcaliber.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
.........I was working towards marketing these a few years ago then we moved and haven’t picked it back up. I would like to hear y’al’s opinions. Should I keep trying to market this?
BB9C6D10-DC74-497A-A1E6-7F8C71B216EA.jpeg
I like the vertical mount design because the bikes don't block the brake lights. That's my biggest issue with most bike racks. I think this is a marketable idea.
Maybe a little inconvenient with removing the seat every time, but not that bad. Heck some people take their tire off every time for roof top versions, so this isn't any more inconvenient than those.

A recommendation for a 2.0 version, is to make one that has the mounting post 90° from how you have it now. That would make it so you'd likely only be able to haul one or two bikes, but it wouldn't stick out near as far.
My wife doesn't ride, so when I take my bike somewhere it's so I can ride with my friend who does. We'll meet at a trail and go, so I only need to haul a single bike at a time. I'm sure if a single/double mount works for me, others are in the market for that too.
I've been going to design a rack (different mounting idea though), but I just haven't gotten motivated yet. Maybe I'll design it on CAD over the winter, and fab it up when it warms up.

As with the other one, I like the vertical mount idea. $750 is pretty steep though. I know there's R&D cost in addition to actually making it, but that seems a bit over the top. Especially when you consider Yakima and Thule, which seem to be the two big names, are typically around $500 or less. Seems like Lolo is reaching a bit.

Sponsored

hurricanes99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I have a Swagman 4.0. It was a little pricey but I like the option of either a two bike or four bike rack. And I use a 12” extension to clear my spare tire.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? PXL_20210119_001329441
I have the one of the Swagman's too. Great rack.. My problem right now is finding an extension that doesn't wobble that is similar in design to the rack with the threaded pin and lock.

JLTraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR MT
has anyone measured the tongue weight of 4 bikes? The Mopar hitch I believe has the capacity of 350 pounds and some of these racks look big and bulky already. Am I overthinking it?

ML7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
has anyone measured the tongue weight of 4 bikes? The Mopar hitch I believe has the capacity of 350 pounds and some of these racks look big and bulky already. Am I overthinking it?
Depends on the type of bikes, 4 DH bikes could be over 160 lbs, 4 Tri bikes could be less than 80, I have a Thule rack and they tell you how much the rack will support, just be careful adding extensions and all that as the extra weight will be a factor. Most reputable bike rack companies will have extensions available or at least maximum lengths. If you dont add too much it will be fine, just dont buy a cheap rack add an extension to it and then put 4 40lb DH bikes on it and expect it to be OK.

KeithM

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 06 Duramax, e39 Touring
Occupation
Software
I have the Recon Rack R4 v2, probably one of the heavier racks and I doubt I’d be able to carry it if it weighed much more then 100 lbs. This thing is heavy duty, think it is rated for 50 lb bikes. So maxed out it would be like 300 lbs. Payload can be a concern but not for my setup. Blinding other drivers at night with the leds is my biggest concern.

Ranger1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited 2019
Can highly recommend the 1UP, and the RakAttach swing arm. Very well engineered, definitely get what you pay for.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? IMG_1091

Jeep Wrangler JL Hitch Bike Rack recommendations? IMG_1072
Sponsored