FLECK-5

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Are you going to put bigger tires on it? If so, something to think about:

Rubicon fenders sit up 1” higher then the Sahara which means they can fit 2” taller tire with the same clearance inside the fender. Rubicons have 4.10 gearing so if can handle 35” tires without re-gearing.

35” tires need a 2” or greater lift on a Sahara but a Rubicon doesn’t need a lift for 35’s and the tires will look small if you lift the Rubicon and put 35’s in my opinion.

Putting a lift on a Rubicon = 37” or bigger tires depending on the tire size. Once you get 37’s or bigger, the expenses start jumping quickly.

If you want 35’s, get a Rubicon and don’t lift it.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Are you going to put bigger tires on it? If so, something to think about:

Rubicon fenders sit up 1” higher then the Sahara which means they can fit 2” taller tire with the same clearance inside the fender. Rubicons have 4.10 gearing so if can handle 35” tires without re-gearing.

35” tires need a 2” or greater lift on a Sahara but a Rubicon doesn’t need a lift for 35’s and the tires will look small if you lift the Rubicon and put 35’s in my opinion.

Putting a lift on a Rubicon = 37” or bigger tires depending on the tire size. Once you get 37’s or bigger, the expenses start jumping quickly.

If you want 35’s, get a Rubicon and don’t lift it.
If you just read the post above yours, you'd know he already bought the Sahara.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Guys;

Thanks for all of your advice's. I test drove the Sahara and it had no issues, and now I am a proud owner of a Mojito that does not pull to the right and the steering wheel is centered. I will dress it up to give it a more aggressive look.
Bad choice :giggle:
Enjoy

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
Guys;

I've been monitoring this forum for sometime trying to make up my mind whether to get a wrangler or not, finally made the decision to, and need your help to decide. There are two new 2019 unlimited I am negotiating with the dealer. One is a Rubicon and the other is the Sahara. The issue is that the Sahara has the following options which are missing from the Rubicon:

Tow package (like it because of the heavier duty alternator and battery)
Limited Slip
Cold weather (live in AZ, so not a big deal)
Safety group.

Looks wise I like the Rubicon (silver, more aggressive stanch)), color wise I like the Sahara (Muhito).

It is not my daily driver, and will use it only for moderate to medium off road.

Price wise the Sahara is about $1000 less.

Here is my dilemma, I like the aggressive looks of the Rubicon and being heavier duty (mental more than practical for my usage) but not sure if the missing options from it are worth it.

Question: Are the missing options from the Rubicon of great value for off road usage?
Can I replace the Sahara wheels with the Rubicon ones, without any other changes (this way it will look more like a Rubicon).
If I replace the wheels as stated above, do I need to re-calibrate the speedometer?

Any thing else you think I need to consider.

You inputs are much appreciated.
I got the Sahara in Mojito!!. I wanted the Advanced safety group, auto braking, radar speed control and mostly the Selec Trac- set it and forget it 4wd which I use %100 of the time. It IS my daily driver. I TOTALLY understand your wanting the look of the Rubicon. I love that look. Beyond that, the Rubicon isn't offered with Selec Trac and if this whole thing is mental in the Rubicon like it would be with me I wouldn't get either of the ones on your dealer lot. I would order one like I did. Lease it like I did. Not negotiate from what's on the lot, good for the dealer less good for you. My dealer negotiated a lot with me on the ordering of mine so it worked out well. The main difference is this IS my daily driver so for you it might not make a huge difference, but even so, the Selec Trac and the safety group made a big difference for me, and even avoided an accident that would have occurred had I not had the auto braking. That's my 2 cents. Order a Sahara or go to a dealer that has one loaded, or have your dealer get you one from another dealer if you are emotionally tied to the dealer. The Sahara is going to be great off road as well. PS I have the cold weather group- live in CT use it all year round because of my back, and have the tow package that I don't use. Also limited slip. Good luck.

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the Sahara. Always loved that colour. Up here I'm seeing 2019 Sahara's with the 2.0L going for $10,000 less than MSRP. I agree with the other person re take off Rubicon parts. I almost bought a complete suspension, shocks, coils etc for $300 the other day from a new Rubicon. I've seen the wheels and tires going for $1500 for a set of 4 complete. The KO2 tires aren't cheap but I really like them.

Glad you passed on the Rubicon, sounds like it had a problem that would always bothered you and honestly that will always ruin your driving experience.

Sponsored

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
Guys;

I've been monitoring this forum for sometime trying to make up my mind whether to get a wrangler or not, finally made the decision to, and need your help to decide. There are two new 2019 unlimited I am negotiating with the dealer. One is a Rubicon and the other is the Sahara. The issue is that the Sahara has the following options which are missing from the Rubicon:

Limited Slip
Safety group.

Looks wise I like the Rubicon (silver, more aggressive stanch)), color wise I like the Sahara (Muhito).

It is not my daily driver, and will use it only for moderate to medium off road.

Here is my dilemma, I like the aggressive looks of the Rubicon and being heavier duty (mental more than practical for my usage) but not sure if the missing options from it are worth it.

Question: Are the missing options from the Rubicon of great value for off road usage?
Can I replace the Sahara wheels with the Rubicon ones, without any other changes (this way it will look more like a Rubicon).
If I replace the wheels as stated above, do I need to re-calibrate the speedometer?

Get the Rubi! The LSD is good for on road, but the lockers are way better and more reliable on the Rubi. LSD's wear out and parts need to be changed (or it's just an open diff).
I have the tow package and aux switches and HD alternator. It's nice, but I'd give that up in a heart beat to get a Rubi for a G difference.
I've never been a fan of CWP because it just creates more draw off the electrical system and I have an aversion to sitting on heating elements in a truck that is meant to have a hosed off interior...
As for the tire/wheel swap, I doubt you'll see much of a difference on the speedo. The Sahara runs 18's with what is effectively a 31.5" tire and the Rubi has 17's with a 33". You're looking at a 1.5" difference in diameter, but the weight of the wheel/tire combo is approximately the same. (One has a bigger rim and smaller tire, the other has a smaller rim and bigger tire).
Lastly, the Rubi, with it's higher fenders, 44's front and rear, and slightly higher lift, can accommodate 35's with no mods to the speedo, computer or anything. You have more options to "build up" if you want, or keep it stock and still go on trails the Sahara can't.
Oh, btw, the Sahara is meant to be more of an on road Jeep, that's why it uses street tires that have a longer tread life. The Rubi uses all terrains, so it will offer better traction right out of the box off road. AND, if you are considering changing out the rims and tires to make it look like a Rubi, you'd be spending almost a grand anyway so you're at the same price as the Rubi...

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Get the Rubi! The LSD is good for on road, but the lockers are way better and more reliable on the Rubi. LSD's wear out and parts need to be changed (or it's just an open diff).
I have the tow package and aux switches and HD alternator. It's nice, but I'd give that up in a heart beat to get a Rubi for a G difference.
I've never been a fan of CWP because it just creates more draw off the electrical system and I have an aversion to sitting on heating elements in a truck that is meant to have a hosed off interior...
As for the tire/wheel swap, I doubt you'll see much of a difference on the speedo. The Sahara runs 18's with what is effectively a 31.5" tire and the Rubi has 17's with a 33". You're looking at a 1.5" difference in diameter, but the weight of the wheel/tire combo is approximately the same. (One has a bigger rim and smaller tire, the other has a smaller rim and bigger tire).
Lastly, the Rubi, with it's higher fenders, 44's front and rear, and slightly higher lift, can accommodate 35's with no mods to the speedo, computer or anything. You have more options to "build up" if you want, or keep it stock and still go on trails the Sahara can't.
Oh, btw, the Sahara is meant to be more of an on road Jeep, that's why it uses street tires that have a longer tread life. The Rubi uses all terrains, so it will offer better traction right out of the box off road. AND, if you are considering changing out the rims and tires to make it look like a Rubi, you'd be spending almost a grand anyway so you're at the same price as the Rubi...
1vK.gif

azrubi

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Guys;

Limited Slip
Safety group.

Not this....again

Sponsored

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
The Salesman that told you that Rubi was normal is an A hole. And a liar. Now some uninformed poor sucker is gonna buy that. Too bad.

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Guys;

Limited Slip
Safety group.

If you purchase a sahara and need rubi wheels and tires, let me know and I'll sell you mine.

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
One is a Rubicon and the other is the Sahara
The moment a Sahara driver finds himself struggling with Moab Rim, Golden Spike, Blanca Peak, Holy Cross, Iron Chest, a certain 80 yard section of Lockhart Basin, God forbid, Pritchett Canyon, Amasa Back, Rose Garden Hill, the Wall on Poughkeepsie, Kane Creek, etc., etc., he'll soon realize he needs to add another $12,000 of not-quite-factory upgrades to match the effortless performance of an out-of-the-box Rubicon or worse yet an intelligent purchase of a $7000 built barn find.

Last edited:

Paul uk

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I don’t know if this will help with deciding where you want to go with your Sahara. This is mine, just two months old and UK spec. I have Rubicon take off shocks and springs which are an inch longer than the Sahara ones, AEV 2” spacer lift, AEV geometry correction, 34.5” BFG KO2 315/70/17 on AEV Borah wheels. The Rubicon take offs made a big difference as the stance wasn’t good without them. I think the look is pretty good and it’s my daily drive - Selec-Trac too.

4AB3326E-57CB-478C-900A-94E5C1E48E34.jpeg

76DA4E46-D20A-4693-9E08-1F574D8202C2.jpeg
Sponsored