Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Not a daily driver? Go Rubicon!

As far as the options missing, the limited slip diff is not an issue for the Rubi as it has locking front and rear differentials. The limited slip diff is a help in my Sahara but doesn't hold a candle to a true locker. The Wrangler isn't a heavy tow rig, so lacking the towing package isn't a huge deal, unless you need the heavy duty alternator for a ton of electronic accessories. A tow hitch is an easy buy if you need to pull a trailer down the road, that's my plan.
As far as putting the Rubicon Wheels on a Sahara? it will easily take them, and you'll have better tire selections with the 17" wheel.
Other points are good, I disagree on the wheels, this is very circumstantial for me. On a Sahara, If you are going to be using stock wheels, I say stick with the 18s on the Sahara. R18 tires generally tend to be skinnys or “pizza cutters”, which actually fits the Sahara much better due to narrower axles without rubbing. There are better selection of larger diameter tires without going wide vs the 17s, if you are staying under 35s, stock 18 is actually a better choice IMO.

A good example of this would be on the Sahara if you went with stock 17 wheels, the largest you can theoretically fit is 285/70/R17s, which is what, a 32,33 tire? To get a 35 in R17, you generally have to resort to 315, which will rub severely due to the narrow axles. On the R18, you can get 285/75/18 which is a true 35, and weighs around the same as a 33.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michael A

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
I went with the 2019 as it is heavily discounted, otherwise I would have ordered a 2020 the way I want it.

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
I got a Sahara because it's my daily driver and I don't do any heavy off-roading (no rock crawling, etc). I also got the Sahara because I live where a lot of snow falls and I wanted the Selec-Trac. If I lived in warmer climates and/or did more off-roading, I would have gotten the Rubicon. But that's only because I like the Rubi just that much more.

As for the tow package, I don't need it so we weren't going to get it (factory build) but then I realized I needed to get my bike to teh trails too. And if I was going to add a hitch, I may as well go for the whole she-bang. This Jeep will also be used for occasional car camping, so to be able to tow a little trailer down the road is a really nice option to have.

There are a lot of reasons to get either model, but remember that a Sahara can do 95% of what a Rubicon can do. So if you're not doing anything heavy then a Rubi is nothing more than a want.

Since it won't be your daily driver, I would personally look at the sway bars and lockers... think about if you need them, and go from there. Then that would be my deciding factor.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
On the 18, you can get 285/75/R18 which is a true 35, and weighs around the same as a 33.
source.gif

They ain't cheap for sure! I looked up prices on those the first time I saw you mention them... I went right back to looking at 33s right after, lol.

Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
source.gif

They ain't cheap for sure! I looked up prices on those the first time I saw you mention them... I went right back to looking at 33s right after, lol.
Oh ok :giggle:
Though I find that they are in the general vicinity of other 35" tires from where I live, which is around $300 (usd) per tire.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
OP - Get the one with the less crummy steering!

BuffaloBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler, 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 2020 JLUR Ecodiesel
Like another forum member mentioned, you might consider ordering a 2020 Rubicon in the color & options of your choice. My experience has been, that ordering one may result in as good or better of a price than buying off the lot.

Update: I see now you decided to purchase the Rubicon. Congrats and enjoy!

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Oh ok :giggle:
Though I find that they are in the general vicinity of other 35" tires from where I live, which is around $300 (usd) per tire.
They were just too much of a jump up from the 33s I've been researching is all. Since I refuse to have a spare that doesn't match the rest of the wheels, 3-400 per tire adds up very quickly.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Have you considered choosing the options that you want on a Rubicon and ordering that specific configuration?

You don't have to choose a vehicle that is on the dealer's lot. If you are going to spend that much money, why not get exactly what you want?
I went with the 2019 as it is heavily discounted, otherwise I would have ordered a 2020 the way I want it.
Would you share approximately how much of a difference ordering a 2020 Rubicon with these options would have been to how much they sold you the 2019 Rubicon please?

Also, I would not buy a Jeep without getting up to interstate speeds at least 70 if not 80 to be sure you don’t feel or experience any issues.

Redleg22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I ordered a 2018 Rubicon unlimited from the factory when they first released the JL. I opted for most of the options. It is an amazing jeep and a home run as far as redesigns are concerned. Not too mention how awesome they look. I had it for a year and a half and there was nothing I didn't like about it. It was simply more than I needed and I was always worried about it getting trashed or the leather getting scratched etc etc. I traded it in and got a 2020 base model sport. The only options I went for were automatic, hardtop, and AC. Now I can do a mild daily driver friendly build and it will still have plenty of capability for what I need. I wont be nearly as concerned about wear and tear and using it. I am liking going back to a bit more basic set up.

OP
OP
Michael A

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
If I order the same options on a 2020 MSRP comes up to $56,325. I got mine for $46,052 (of course fees/taxes are not included).

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Thanks for your input, one other question, what should I look for before taking delivery. When I test drove the Rubicon it was pulling to the right, they said they will align it before taking delivery.
Be very careful with this. As mentioned, check the tire pressure, let them do the alignment, but don’t buy it if pulls and wanders. Take it on a long test drive on the freeway to make sure it doesn’t pull or wander. Don’t believe them if they say they can fix it. They can’t.
Sponsored