Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
Guys;

I've been monitoring this forum for sometime trying to make up my mind whether to get a wrangler or not, finally made the decision to, and need your help to decide. There are two new 2019 unlimited I am negotiating with the dealer. One is a Rubicon and the other is the Sahara. The issue is that the Sahara has the following options which are missing from the Rubicon:

Tow package (like it because of the heavier duty alternator and battery)
Limited Slip
Cold weather (live in AZ, so not a big deal)
Safety group.

Looks wise I like the Rubicon (silver, more aggressive stanch)), color wise I like the Sahara (Muhito).

It is not my daily driver, and will use it only for moderate to medium off road.

Price wise the Sahara is about $1000 less.

Here is my dilemma, I like the aggressive looks of the Rubicon and being heavier duty (mental more than practical for my usage) but not sure if the missing options from it are worth it.

Question: Are the missing options from the Rubicon of great value for off road usage?
Can I replace the Sahara wheels with the Rubicon ones, without any other changes (this way it will look more like a Rubicon).
If I replace the wheels as stated above, do I need to re-calibrate the speedometer?

Any thing else you think I need to consider.

You inputs are much appreciated.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Guys;

I've been monitoring this forum for sometime trying to make up my mind whether to get a wrangler or not, finally made the decision to, and need your help to decide. There are two new 2019 unlimited I am negotiating with the dealer. One is a Rubicon and the other is the Sahara. The issue is that the Sahara has the following options which are missing from the Rubicon:

Tow package (like it because of the heavier duty alternator and battery)
Limited Slip
Cold weather (live in AZ, so not a big deal)
Safety group.

Looks wise I like the Rubicon (silver, more aggressive stanch)), color wise I like the Sahara (Muhito).

It is not my daily driver, and will use it only for moderate to medium off road.

Price wise the Sahara is about $1000 less.

Here is my dilemma, I like the aggressive looks of the Rubicon and being heavier duty (mental more than practical for my usage) but not sure if the missing options from it are worth it.

Question: Are the missing options from the Rubicon of great value for off road usage?
Can I replace the Sahara wheels with the Rubicon ones, without any other changes (this way it will look more like a Rubicon).
If I replace the wheels as stated above, do I need to re-calibrate the speedometer?

Any thing else you think I need to consider.

You inputs are much appreciated.
Not a daily driver? Go Rubicon!

As far as the options missing, the limited slip diff is not an issue for the Rubi as it has locking front and rear differentials. The limited slip diff is a help in my Sahara but doesn't hold a candle to a true locker. The Wrangler isn't a heavy tow rig, so lacking the towing package isn't a huge deal, unless you need the heavy duty alternator for a ton of electronic accessories. A tow hitch is an easy buy if you need to pull a trailer down the road, that's my plan.
As far as putting the Rubicon Wheels on a Sahara? it will easily take them, and you'll have better tire selections with the 17" wheel.

OP
OP
Michael A

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
Thanks for your input, one other question, what should I look for before taking delivery. When I test drove the Rubicon it was pulling to the right, they said they will align it before taking delivery.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Of the things you listed, I’d only flinch at the tow package and cold weather group. I used to live in Phx, Tucson and SV, and occasionally it was nice to have a warm seat and wheel. The tow pkg brings the items you mentioned and the aux switches. Not a necessity, but again, nice if you have them.

All that being said, it’s not your daily, and you’re planning to do moderate trails, I’d go Rubicon. It’s easier to mod out of the box and may not even need to be. Both are great, but you’re starting from a better place if you’re only interested in off-roading. You might want Rock-trac in Sedona, too.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your input, one other question, what should I look for before taking delivery. When I test drove the Rubicon it was pulling to the right, they said they will align it before taking delivery.
Check the air pressure in the tires, make sure they're at 36 and give it a good long test drive. Over-inflated tires account for some of the lane wander on mine. At the correct pressure it drives straight.

Sponsored

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
think about it on the latter end as well. When time comes to sell, Rubicons tend to hold their values better then the saharas. yes you wont have those conveniences of the added items on the sahara but you're getting a significantly more capable vehicle in my opinion.

Higher fenders( allows for bigger tires easier
beefier axles
light lift from the stock wranglers
33s KO2s from the factory (this one is worth 1k in itself!)
Has a nice hood(Yes i know its aesthetics but it looks sweet)
Locking front and rear diffs only need to be used half a dozen or so times to make them worth it when you're stuck plus you have less likelihood of damaging your local trails from flinging rocks and spinning tires aggressively

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Tell them to get the Rubicon fixed, whatever that may mean, before you spend even one more minute negotiating on the price.

OP
OP
Michael A

Michael A

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW x3, 2019 Sahara
They are in the process of fixing the Rubicon alignment. We agreed on the price contingent that I drive it and approve of the handling.

To my other question, if I get the Sahara and replace it tires with the Rubicon's will that affect the speedometer indication? I am thinking the diameter of the tires on the Sahara are different (I know the rims are different).

SoCalWrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2019
Occupation
Engineer/ Real Estate Agent
Vehicle Showcase
They are in the process of fixing the Rubicon alignment. We agreed on the price contingent that I drive it and approve of the handling.

To my other question, if I get the Sahara and replace it tires with the Rubicon's will that affect the speedometer indication? I am thinking the diameter of the tires on the Sahara are different (I know the rims are different).
Just remember that Youll have to remove your TPMS sensors off the tires on the sahara or reprogram new ones.

Supposedly, the change is negligible for tires.

The Rubicon has 4:10 gears so itll handle those tires a bit better then the sahara

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
As a Sahara owner and regarding a 1000 dollar difference, get the Rubicon. You can probably live without the safety group. The tow package can be added. The cold weather package is nice though.

I went with my Sahara essentially because it was everything I wanted but a Rubicon and was 17% off msrp.

Sponsored

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Have you considered choosing the options that you want on a Rubicon and ordering that specific configuration?

You don't have to choose a vehicle that is on the dealer's lot. If you are going to spend that much money, why not get exactly what you want?

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

if your only a grand difference on the price get the Rubicon and have a worry free life. lockers are better than limited slip for your area of wheeling. plus the wider axles and bigger tires out of the box with a true 4-1 xfer case. ill say rubi is worth it 100% over the sahara

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

yes you will need to reprogram the speedo sensor once you move up in tire size

Pappy11

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Sahara JL
I have the Sahara and Like it...Mainly because it's my DD and the ride seemed to be better...I do some off road but nothing extreme so the Rubicon was not really a factor for me..but all that being said...buy what you really want...so there won't be any regrets later

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
If you will be using the Jeep primarily as on off road vehicle, a Rubicon would be a better choice. I would consider a Sahara if it was going to be a daily driver.

The Rubicon has features specifically built for managing tough trails. Once you get a taste for the
"moderate to medium" trails, you may want to try the more difficult ones.
Sponsored