Sponsored

Help with roof racks please!

jeepinalaska

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I’m looking to put a roof rack on my new 2019 unlimited Sahara. I’d love the bigger Rhino Rack Pioneer with the wrap around rails, and probably the ladder with it. I’m just kind of confused on how it mounts... If you buy it standalone does it not come with a way to fit it on the vehicle? I’ve seen both the Maxiums 3 as well as well as the Rhino Rack branded Backbone system, but I don’t need anything crazy like that as I’ll never be hauling anything on top that needs that kind of support. Or to get the Pioneer rack do you have to get it as one of those 2 systems?
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi, I’m looking to put a roof rack on my new 2019 unlimited Sahara. I’d love the bigger Rhino Rack Pioneer with the wrap around rails, and probably the ladder with it. I’m just kind of confused on how it mounts... If you buy it standalone does it not come with a way to fit it on the vehicle? I’ve seen both the Maxiums 3 as well as well as the Rhino Rack branded Backbone system, but I don’t need anything crazy like that as I’ll never be hauling anything on top that needs that kind of support. Or to get the Pioneer rack do you have to get it as one of those 2 systems?
@jeepinalaska : the Just For Jeeps Website https://www.justforjeeps.com/rhino-...MI67GIyYD76AIV1AiICR247AEAEAQYBSABEgL-I_D_BwE appears to have a link to the installation guide http://vpm.cdn.rhinorack.com.au/Instructions/Parts/FittingApplications/RJLB1.pdf that suggest that the Rhino Rack Pioneer (comes with and) bolts through a hard top (so it seems that drilling is involved and that you are married to the hard top when using this rack) into a hardware system which is rectangular, encompassing there area around the sides of the rear side windows on each side, which in turn bolts into the JL's tub just as the hard top does.

I don't own this device so double checking me would be a good idea.

EZMFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you are kind of stuck with that type of mounting system unless you go with a rack that holds less weight. You could rig up something to hold the rhino rack on a couple of rails but would most likely not have much left over as far as weight handling. Also, some of those rail/rack systems are pretty expensive themselves so the value may not be there.

One problem is you may just be paying the same for something that does not hold as much weight or is not really designed for the lifestyle changes you may have. So if that is the case, does it make sense to buy something that will fit your future needs or get something for today's needs? Many people think of the weight that it holds but what about the wind that is pushed back up on the items that are being carried. Depending on what is up there and the speeds you plan on driving, you might want the extra security that the rack itself is not a weak point.

As time goes on and the product ages, will having that extra support matter based on what you use it for? Will the materials last the same amount of years as a comparable mounting type? Also, how about resale, will one sell better than the the other based on name brand/value/build quality? Sometimes buying a mid grade item is better than buying the best due the cost vs use equation. There are times though when you want a top quality product and are willing to pay for it.

There is also an opinion from the side that prefers to have more of a steel or overbuilt rack that can easily hold whatever you are throwing on it. Pack it full and tie down things as tight as needed without worrying about bending/breaking the rack itself. A "built to last" type of thinking and very well may have more external mounting points.

As you know those other racks mount to/in the drip rails of the top. They are not going to be rated high as far as weight handling but will do for what most people will throw up there. I just would not want to spend 3/4 of the cash on something that holds 1/4 of the weight or is not modular enough for what I might want to do with it in the future. I may decide that the price of root top tents are in my budget but now that I have this rack that I can't really put a tent on... It rules that out for me since I would need to buy a new rack and that is not in the budget. If going with a roof top tent, one would want to have something that is rated for the amount of weight they plan on loading and that also will allow it to lay flat on and easily mount to the rack.

Expedition One:
Mule Ultra Roof Rack
Mule Ultra Mid-Rack

EVO MFG
TRAIL ROOF RACK

Rough Country
ROOF RACK SYSTEM

Smittybilt Defender
Defender Rack

Rugged Ridge
Roof Rack, with Basket

ARB
Roof Rack Kit

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@EZMFE has a great post with a lot of good info. One thing I’ll add to the OP is that you need the extra weight capacity if you intend to use the ladder. Just by standing on the ladder, you’ll use up the weight capacity of any of the gutter mount racks. If the ladder isn’t a big deal, then looking at one of the gutter mount options that EZMFE mentioned would be better than the Rhino Rack platform.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392
Vehicle Showcase
One other option if you are looking at Rhino-Rack is the three crossbars which may be ideal/preferred depending on what you are hauling-such as surfboards, skis, snowboards, even a roof-top tent. The reason I mention rtt's is that the three crossbars are the easier way to mount a tent. I have both. The pioneer platform is less noticeable, probably because it is more low profile, but using different brackets, you can mount lots of things, shovels, awnings, rotopax, to the platform. Regardless of which method you choose, you will have to drill through the hard top. It isn't bad, just stressful. I just installed mine this year so if you have questions, let me know.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeepinalaska

jeepinalaska

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, you are kind of stuck with that type of mounting system unless you go with a rack that holds less weight. You could rig up something to hold the rhino rack on a couple of rails but would most likely not have much left over as far as weight handling. Also, some of those rail/rack systems are pretty expensive themselves so the value may not be there.

One problem is you may just be paying the same for something that does not hold as much weight or is not really designed for the lifestyle changes you may have. So if that is the case, does it make sense to buy something that will fit your future needs or get something for today's needs? Many people think of the weight that it holds but what about the wind that is pushed back up on the items that are being carried. Depending on what is up there and the speeds you plan on driving, you might want the extra security that the rack itself is not a weak point.

As time goes on and the product ages, will having that extra support matter based on what you use it for? Will the materials last the same amount of years as a comparable mounting type? Also, how about resale, will one sell better than the the other based on name brand/value/build quality? Sometimes buying a mid grade item is better than buying the best due the cost vs use equation. There are times though when you want a top quality product and are willing to pay for it.

There is also an opinion from the side that prefers to have more of a steel or overbuilt rack that can easily hold whatever you are throwing on it. Pack it full and tie down things as tight as needed without worrying about bending/breaking the rack itself. A "built to last" type of thinking and very well may have more external mounting points.

As you know those other racks mount to/in the drip rails of the top. They are not going to be rated high as far as weight handling but will do for what most people will throw up there. I just would not want to spend 3/4 of the cash on something that holds 1/4 of the weight or is not modular enough for what I might want to do with it in the future. I may decide that the price of root top tents are in my budget but now that I have this rack that I can't really put a tent on... It rules that out for me since I would need to buy a new rack and that is not in the budget. If going with a roof top tent, one would want to have something that is rated for the amount of weight they plan on loading and that also will allow it to lay flat on and easily mount to the rack.

Expedition One:
Mule Ultra Roof Rack
Mule Ultra Mid-Rack

EVO MFG
TRAIL ROOF RACK

Rough Country
ROOF RACK SYSTEM

Smittybilt Defender
Defender Rack

Rugged Ridge
Roof Rack, with Basket

ARB
Roof Rack Kit
I really appreciate this post. You are definitely right and I probably will go with the Maximus 3 because I am definitely the kind of person who likes to get things right the first time around and appreciate great quality. Just wasn't expecting to drop nearly 2k on a roof rack so I wanted to get all the info.

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate this post. You are definitely right and I probably will go with the Maximus 3 because I am definitely the kind of person who likes to get things right the first time around and appreciate great quality. Just wasn't expecting to drop nearly 2k on a roof rack so I wanted to get all the info.
IF you go with the Maximus-3, which is essentially a Rhino-Rack, it is really great because you can switch between the cross bars and the pioneer platform. I just put on my pioneer platform today and it is rock-solid! You won't regret it.
IMG_2855.jpg

mroback23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021
IF you go with the Maximus-3, which is essentially a Rhino-Rack, it is really great because you can switch between the cross bars and the pioneer platform. I just put on my pioneer platform today and it is rock-solid! You won't regret it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Help with roof racks please! IMG_2855
What a nice rig you have dude! I like how that roof rack fits! Have you made any other update to your rig?

Aloha Offroad

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What a nice rig you have dude! I like how that roof rack fits! Have you made any other update to your rig?
Thank you! I actually took the Rhinorack off! But yes, I’ve added a KC gravity pro light bar, which, grill guard, etc.

Sponsored

mroback23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator 2021
Hi @jeepinalaska, what did you get installed for your rig at the end? I have been checking for good options for mine and came accross with these roof racks . It is worth taking a look at them!
Sponsored